Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound options, I messed up

Options
  • 27-09-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just bought a bundle of new components to upgrade my PC (CPU, mobo, memory, GPU, storage). I never even considered audio when purchasing, I bought a mobo that does not have built in 6 channel ports. I have a good headset that has front, rear and I think bass pins on it, but the mobo just has a single line in port. My old board has more ports to cover surround sound.
    This is the board I got.

SO yeah, I fecked up, should have got a board with the ports on it. Mind you the board does have a load of blurb about supporting 8 channel and super audio but you need to have the connectors on your case, which my case does not have.

As I understand it my options are;
    - Return the mobo and get a different one, dont want to do this, shipping costs, time, hassle, etc.
    - Buy a soundcard

Any recommendations on cheapish soundcards? Are they all still PCI?I see this external one on Amazon, anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

How about a USB based sound card? Ok technically it's not really a "card" but it might fit your requirements given that your case doesn't have any audio connectors?

Something like this maybe: http://www.pcworld.ie/product/dynamode-usbsound7-71channel-usb-sound-card/311886/403.0.0

edit: OOPs, just saw you linked to an external USB card. Looks fine tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can re-task the ports on the board. Have a look on ASUS' driver page, and grab the audio software.

The default is:
    Green = 2.0 Speaker/Headphones
    Blue = Who cares
    Pink = Mic

These can be re-tasked in the software to be, for example:
    Green = Front
    Blue = Rear
    Pink = Centre/Bass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Serephucus wrote: »
    You can re-task the ports on the board. Have a look on ASUS' driver page, and grab the audio software.

The default is:
    Green = 2.0 Speaker/Headphones
    Blue = Who cares
    Pink = Mic

These can be re-tasked in the software to be, for example:
    Green = Front
    Blue = Rear
    Pink = Centre/Bass

Great stuff, worked like a charm. Thanks.

Advertisement