If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

65" 4K Ultra HDR LED TV -Bargain or unwise purchase?

Options
  • 27-09-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new TV. I was looking at your website and I came across these two, which are the same price:

LG 65UJ670V http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202516-65uj670v.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab?swapstore=1

SAMSUNG UE65MU6100 http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202604-ue65mu6100.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab

Is there any difference between the two?

I will be using it to watch satellite TV, Netflix, Chromecast, console gaming and connecting my computer to it too.

I will be connecting everything to an AV Receiver which I bought from you a while back (and am still impressed with it!).  It's a Yamaha RX-V365, would there be any compatibility issues with this old receiver and the new TV? 

The price of these TV's seems low for a 65" 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV.
    Is this a budget 65" TV?  Or maybe an older model?  What am I compromising by  spending what seems to be the market value of a 55" on one of these 65"?  Do these 65" linked above have a shorter life-cycle?  Is the picture quality below par or anything like that?

Which TV do you think would be best for me?

I am wide open to any suggestions or feedback from you guys as you're the experts and always very helpful.

Sorry for all the questions, I don't want to make a purchase I'll end up regretting!

Thanks,

Fungoose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Both the LG 6 series and Samsung 6000 models are both company's "entry" UHD TVs, well worth stepping up to LG 7 series or Samsung 7000 series. Panasonic 700 series also worth looking into, they come with a 5 year warranty as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

LpPepper wrote: »
    Both the LG 6 series and Samsung 6000 models are both company's "entry" UHD TVs, well worth stepping up to LG 7 series or Samsung 7000 series. Panasonic 700 series also worth looking into, they come with a 5 year warranty as standard.
    Thanks for the feedback. So the two TV's I linked above are their entries into a previous generation?
    I'll have a look into the latest generation as you suggested. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

FunGoose wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. So the two TV's I linked above are their entries into a previous generation?

Well they're not previous generation models, they are still "current" models, just the cheapest in terms of their UHD models.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Fungoose,

the LG 65UJ670 and the Samsung UE65MU6100 are both really only new models - def not last years technology - The LG 670 is a significantly better TV IMO than the 6100 which is an entry level TV - the 670 series is a little bit further up the food chain in the LG range than the 6100 series.

...However as LpPepper says you can get LOTS better - in TV ( as in audio) you really do see the law of diminishing returns when you are choosing TV and generally if you step up from the entry level you will get a far better unit ( especially in terms of picture and build quality as the feature count on entry level TV's is great now TBH).

For instance on the Samsung series the 6400 is significantly better than the 6100 series in pretty much every respect and the 7000 series again is a step-up ( but critically the step from the 6400 to the 7000 isnt as great in PQ terms)

However if your ultimate aim is picture quality - I'd issue my now standard advice and say - hold on and have a look at the OLED TV's - even if you have to downsize to 55" from 65" - the picture quality is a completely different level and its well worth waiting for! ( Black Friday is coming soon after all :cool: ;))

In respect to your other query on your Yamaha - it will work with any of these TV's - from memory it has 2 basic HDMI inputs and one output - these are not 4K enabled so you will not be able to pass the 4K signal through - but you can connect your source directly to the TV via HDMI and then either use optical from your source straight to your Yamaha or take the optical output from any of these TV's into the Yamaha ( although the Optical out may not support all formats)

If you want to completely upgrade the system then it is probably worth grabbing a 4K ready AVR at the same time - pretty much everything we do now is 4K ready - but as above there are workarounds for your current AVR,

Thanks again and don't hesitate to drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

LpPepper,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum, queries here are for Richersounds to answer, if you have an opinion about something AV related or the urge to give your advice, this is not the place to do it, and a read through the Charter will explain why.

I'm not deleting or snipping your posts as the other replies would become meaningless but would ask you not to post in this way here again.

Ritz.

• Advertisement

Hi John,

Thank you for the advice, very thorough as always!

I actually started out looking at 55" until I came across the two 65" linked above.  It's a great size for that price and I'm really liking the idea of a 65".  The OLED models (even in 55") go way above my budget and I'm sure they still will even if I wait until Black Friday.  With the devices I have I don't think I'd get anywhere near the maximum output they are capable of anyway.

I reckon I'll be fairly future proofed with a 4K UHD model. (Unless you disagree?)

What would be the next model up in the LG series (up from the LG 65UJ670)?

Thanks for the advice regarding my AV Receiver too -that will be upgraded down the road a bit too.

Thanks,

Fungoose

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi John,

Thank you for the advice, very thorough as always!

I actually started out looking at 55" until I came across the two 65" linked above.  It's a great size for that price and I'm really liking the idea of a 65".  The OLED models (even in 55") go way above my budget and I'm sure they still will even if I wait until Black Friday.  With the devices I have I don't think I'd get anywhere near the maximum output they are capable of anyway.

I reckon I'll be fairly future proofed with a 4K UHD model. (Unless you disagree?)

What would be the next model up in the LG series (up from the LG 65UJ670)?

Thanks for the advice regarding my AV Receiver too -that will be upgraded down the road a bit too.

Thanks,

Fungoose
    Hey FunGoose.

The next up in the range from LG would be the 65SJ800 coming in at £1399.00
    http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65SJ8000-4k-uhd-tv

4K UHD is the way to go to future proof yourself as pretty much all TV now is 4K ready as standard.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hey FunGoose.

4K UHD is the way to go to future proof yourself as pretty much all TV now is 4K ready as standard.

Hey John,

I like the look of that LG 65SJ800 you suggested.  Do you have this model currently in stock?  If not, what is the lead time on it delivered to Dublin?  And what is your best price for a loyal RS customer? :)

Thanks,

FunGoose

Hey FunGoose.

Hey John,

I like the look of that LG 65SJ800 you suggested.  Do you have this model currently in stock?  If not, what is the lead time on it delivered to Dublin?  And what is your best price for a loyal RS customer? :)

Thanks,

FunGoose
    Hi FunGoose.

Best price at the moment is the listed price unfortunately.
    However if you went for one today I could offer at £1349.00 and throw in delivery for free.

Would also come with our 6 year guarantee free of charge.

Currently in stock in our main warehouse with a delivery time of 3-5 working days to your door.

Let me know what you think, any questions drop me a post.

Hey FunGoose.

Hey John,

Thanks,

FunGoose
    Hi FunGoose.

However if you went for one today I could offer at £1349.00 and throw in delivery for free.

Currently in stock in our main warehouse with a delivery time of 3-5 working days to your door.

Hey Kenny,

It's a deal!

PM sent.

Cheers,

FunGoose

• Advertisement

Hey FunGoose.

Hey John,

Thanks,

FunGoose
    Hi FunGoose.

Hey Kenny,

It's a deal!

PM sent.

Cheers,

FunGoose
    Cheers for the Call FunGoose :D

Hey FunGoose.

Hey John,

Thanks,

FunGoose
    Hi FunGoose.

Hey Kenny,

It's a deal!

PM sent.

Cheers,

FunGoose
    Hi Kenny / John,

I received the delivery yesterday.  Very impressed with the prompt delivery and the TV of course!  I'm very happy with it and happy with the great deal you guys gave me.  Thanks again for your great advice and all your help.

Until next time,

FunGoose

LpPepper wrote: »

Well they're not previous generation models, they are still "current" models, just the cheapest in terms of their UHD models.
    And thanks LpPepper for the info, even if you did break the rules to provide it!:D

Hey FunGoose.

Hey John,

Thanks,

FunGoose
    Hi FunGoose.

Hey Kenny,

It's a deal!

PM sent.

Cheers,

FunGoose
    Hi Kenny / John,

I received the delivery yesterday.  Very impressed with the prompt delivery and the TV of course!  I'm very happy with it and happy with the great deal you guys gave me.  Thanks again for your great advice and all your help.

Until next time,

FunGoose
    Excellent News FunGoose.

It really is some television :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.