Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Dublin to Athlone/Commuter towns?

Options
  • 27-09-2017 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I will possibly be starting a new job for one year in Athlone soon. I currently live in Dundrum with my partner who works near Ballsbridge. I don't know Athlone at all so my question is - what is the best option commuting/accommodation wise? Does anyone have similar experiences? The options I can see are:

- Stay in Dundrum, keep the apartment we like so in a years time we're not moving again and I drive daily to Athlone and back.
    - Move to another town where we both could commute from (if anyone has advice on this I'd greatly appreciate it)
    - We both move, me closer to Athlone and him to somewhere else in Dublin

I would be happy to get the train every day, but the difficulty with that option is that getting to the train station from where I live isn't a straight forward bus journey and would add on at least another hour to the journey. I also have to keep in mind that the chances are, any job I may get in a years time will be in Dublin and his job most definitely will be.

Would greatly appreciate any advice with this.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Getting the train from connolly would be a stretch for someone in Dundrum, you'd have to go Dundrum-An Lár, and then An Lár to connolly, and then the train from connolly to Athlone, then from the Athlone train station to your job. Not reccomended at all IMO.

Dundrum to Athlone is probably just over an hour on the motorway. M50-M4/M6.

If I were doing it I would try the commute first, it's easier to try commuting first than trying other changes first like moving house, they are a lot less reversible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AM2790

ELM327 wrote: »
    Getting the train from connolly would be a stretch for someone in Dundrum, you'd have to go Dundrum-An Lár, and then An Lár to connolly, and then the train from connolly to Athlone, then from the Athlone train station to your job. Not reccomended at all IMO.

If I were doing it I would try the commute first, it's easier to try commuting first than trying other changes first like moving house, they are a lot less reversible.

Thanks for your reply! Yes I had ruled out the train for that reason as it's something I try to avoid when I'm travelling anyway, never mind on a daily basis to work.

I think I'm leaning towards the commute at the moment as you suggested too, as even if it was difficult, it is something I could do for a year if I had to.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Getting the train from connolly would be a stretch for someone in Dundrum, .

it's Hesuton I think for Athlone, which probably makes it even more awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 25,419 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All Athlone trains are to/from Heuston. Athlone railway station is a long way from most places where the OP might be working so train not a realistic option.

90 minutes. Positive aspect of commuting by car is that most places are very accessible from the motorway, there are four exits on the east side of the river so you shouldn't have to drive very far once you leave the M6. The place formerly known as Elan on the west side is also very close to the M6.

Agree 100%, especially as the OP says she will probably end up working back in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Also factor in the M4/6 toll if commuting. That'll add up as will the extra fuel and wear and tear on your car

That sort of commute (and I do a similar one in the opposite direction) only really works if you have (semi) flexible start/finish times and can miss the worst of the traffic. Better options would potentially be to move there, or move somewhere approx halfway between both jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 AM2790

Yes I'm aware of the tolls and I think the start and finish times will be flexible enough. We would be in favour of moving if we could find somewhere that would be a relatively straight forward commute to both Athlone and Ballsbridge. If anyone has any recommendation on this I'd welcome it as I haven't had much luck yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,419 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, house price inflation is higher in Dublin than anywhere else in the country so regardless of what you think of tolls, travel times, cost of fuel etc., the issue of property value in the Dublin region means that you should hang on to any property that you own in Dublin.

So don't even think of selling the apartment in Dundrum and moving to Kinnegad or Mullingar or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

OP, I’ve done a similar reverse journey a few times (from Athlone to Novartis offices near Booterstown Dart) and it regularly takes 90-120 mins. The thing is, it is usually only 60 mins from Athlone to the Sandyford junction on the M50 (all motorway) and then 30-60mins stuck in local traffic. The point of telling you this is that the decision whether it is going to be commutable from your current home may depend on how close you are to the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I'd plan on driving and staying in Athlone 2-3 nights a week. Find a good B&B, hotel or Air BnB near the new job and strike a deal with them. Hotels are very good for this, especially if it's mid week. Something like Monday and Tuesday and Thursday nights in Athlone, or Monday and Wednesday may suit.

The public transport option may be easier once the Luas lines are connected. I did a 2.5 hour train journey in Germany twice a day for almost a year. You get used to it.

Once your in the job a while you can see about flexible hours or maybe working on the train.

Don't do the half way option as it's better to have a base that ye are both happy with to look forward to at weekends. If you move you won't know who your new neighbours are and you've the hassle of looking for accommodation twice.

Advertisement