Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who could you trust?

• 27-09-2017 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

If you won big bucks like a million + , and you wanted to keep it secret who could you trust to tell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

my dog. everyone else can **** off

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ive often thought about this

Say it was 10mil+

Id tell no one

Buy a nice apartment near where i live

Get a comfy couch, big ass tv, all the games consoles and uber PC

Pretend to go to work each day, not tell herself, and play games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Say it was 10mil+

Id tell no one

Uber do PCs now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Uber to PCs now?

Oh yeah, but youve no idea what the quality could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Anything known to more than one person is not a secret.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you won big bucks like a million + , and you wanted to keep it secret who could you trust to tell?

I wouldn't tell anyone. As soon as someone hears "lotto" winnings they look for handouts.

To explain my increase in wealth i would say that i got an inheritance from someone in the family but never say how much.

Your likely to invest a lot with your winnings so from then on your wealth can be explained by sound investments.

You really wouldnt be long spending 1 million if you had a large family looking for handouts. Say you wanted to gift 50k to the parents and 20k to your siblings.
    Id already be down 11% of my winnings. And those gifts are not really that much money.
    Buy yourself a nice house 400k, new car 20k, some immediate random spending 10k.
    You only have 460k left which is not enough to retire on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

When I won 50 million I didn't tell anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The fable of the king with the donkeys ears, humans cant keep secrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

No-one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

id ring mrs wex straight away to tell her the news and to tell her to pack her bags , when she asks what to pack i'd tell her i don't care as long as your gone when i get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

id ring mrs wex straight away to tell her the news and to tell her to pack her bags , when she asks what to pack i'd tell her i don't care as long as your gone when i get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

no one so far

>>

<<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

If I won the €150 million or so that the Euromillions is worth I would tell nobody.

Would probably still ask my mam for a lend of a few bob every now and then, just to keep up appearances.

Leave it all to a sanctuary for neglected sparrows or something when I die. Just to annoy everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Id tell the boy who cried Wolf, no one would believe him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

mariaalice wrote: »
    The fable of the king with the donkeys ears, humans cant keep secrets.

Plenty of unsolved missing people in Ireland would beg to differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Father-Ted-e1435659696111.jpg

=-=

But seriously? I'd tell my lawyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would only tell close family no one else including the media would need to know it is none of their business.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

As they say in the X-files, ''trust no one''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Reluctantly, my wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

3 people can keep a secret, if 2 of them are dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Out of curiousity, do you have to go to Dublin to collect the money or can you do it over the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Out of curiousity, do you have to go to Dublin to collect the money or can you do it over the phone?

Postman will drop out the cheque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Postman will drop out the cheque

I wouldn't trust the postman. Sure just give me the ticket and I'll bring the cheque out to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm not sure I'd like to burden any one individual with a big secret like that. If my granny was still alive, I'd tell her because (a) I'd trust her 100% not to tell anyone, and (b) she used to get a genuine kick out of knowing things that other people didn't, so I wouldn't feel I was putting her under any pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

maudgonner wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust the postman. Sure just give me the ticket and I'll bring the cheque out to you.

OK. ...what's your address. ...il send it on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Say it was 10mil+

Id tell no one

Gwan outta dat!!! "Play games all day" ......... you'd be pullin' the stomach outta yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Well the guy I buy my cocaine from and all the prostitutes would know if I won that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I believe, when picking up very significant amounts of money from lottery wins, you are counselled to either a) tell absolutely, literally no-one and go into hiding or b) go public, engage someone to deal with the thousands of begging letters and go into hiding.

A syndicate at a place I worked at won about £8m each and they were effectively never seen again.

Obviously I'd love the opportunity to find this out for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Another question, If you have say 15 years and 4 months left on your mortgage and you decide to clear it all off in one payment, is there a penalty for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Another question, If you have say 15 years and 4 months left on your mortgage and you decide to clear it all off in one payment, is there a penalty for that?

Yes penalty, and size depends on your mortgage contract. Plus paying off mortgage only makes sense if you cant generate an interest rate on your winning greater than your mortgage interest rate. E.g I'm paying ecb+.5 so if i can be guaranteed4% interest on 180mil why would i bother paying off mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Say it was 10mil+

Id tell no one

This is my dream too !
    Only in my version it would be an "office" id rent/buy - with all the gaming equipment too, and a couch and bed - I would take naps, lots of naps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I've always wondered too, if you won this amount of money wouldn't you or your family be a target for kidnapping by criminal gangs ?
    I know you can not go public, but some people need to know - like the police for one, and all it takes is some corrupt officer to tip off someone ...

Advertisement