Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Schools- Litter and Waste

Options
  • 27-09-2017 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Post Primary School.

We've registered to see how we go and it'll be a major change for the school but a good one. I was talking to the principal today and he wanted me to try find info on what other schools were doing or did for Litter and Waste theme. I have the handbook and that but I think I just want to know from people with experience. There are three of us teachers on it the schools committee and we've no idea where to start.

We have general waste and recycling bins around our corridors but classrooms are a different matter altogether so I know a target is to get either the bins out of the classroom altogether or put recycling ones in. We also have paper recycling bin in the staff room.

Currently nothing in the school is being separated for recycling? Cans, Paper and Plastic are all put in together into one bag. Another Principal told him it had to be separated out- is that necessary?

We were going to get first years and the students in TY to do it and I know in Primary Schools, two students empty bins every day but what do people do in Secondary School.

Also is it possible that we could achieve everything and apply to get flag by the end of the year in May?

We've our first committee meeting on Friday and just wanted a few ideas.

Further to my last post on the WSE- this was something we were told we should look into, especially as part of promoting Wellbeing in the school.

Again thanks in advance! Ye are a great bunch for sharing things!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You have to be in at least your second year of a theme to apply for the flag so you can't apply until next year. You could definitely have the bulk of the work done this year though. My advice is start monitoring your bin collections (either how many of each bin type or weight of each type) now because you have to compare two periods to look for improvements. Start planning your action day too.

We don't separate recycling because it's all collected in one bin. We do organise a separate glass collection though. We also compost so we separate food waste. We have a small bin antypod large recycling bin in every classroom. Emptying recycling bins is a massive job because they fill so fast. Our students do it and collectively it's around four hours work per week for 12 students.

Other things to consider are planning your cross curricular links, maybe a poster competition on the theme, choose your motto for the theme and look for community links which are important. And keep regular updates on the website or Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

You have to be in at least your second year of a theme to apply for the flag so you can't apply until next year. You could definitely have the bulk of the work done this year though. My advice is start monitoring your bin collections (either how many of each bin type or weight of each type) now because you have two compare two periods to look for improvements. Start planning your action day too.

We don't separate recycling because it's all collected in one bin. We do organise a separate glass collection though. We also compost so we separate food waste. We have a small bin and large recycling bin in every classroom. Emptying recycling bins is a massive job because they fill so fast. Our students do it and collectively it's around four hours work per week for 12 students.

Other things to consider are planning your cross curricular links, maybe a poster competition on the theme, choose your motto for the theme and look for community links which are important. And keep regular updates on the website or Facebook.

Thanks so much, this is a massive help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Try and move school-parent communications to paperless. Reports by email, or parents allowed to view vsware/eportal for reports.

Have a look at the photocopying / printing waste in the staff room. Are teachers printing off stuff but forgetting to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Try and move school-parent communications to paperless. Reports by email, or parents allowed to view vsware/eportal for reports.

Have a look at the photocopying / printing waste in the staff room. Are teachers printing off stuff but forgetting to collect.

Staff Room is an area where we need massive improvement!!! Thanks for advice! Much appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our tutor classes empty the recycling bins in the class every morning (one student) and the last teacher in a room every day pulls up the blinds, puts up the chairs, picks up any papers/pens on the floor and sends the bin if needed

Edit: by that I mean they ensure the students do it with them, not that the teacher does it all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement