Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper conversion

• 27-09-2017 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I'm looking for clarification on two things:

First thing is.... I was told by a SQI that if I moved seats in my van that I must put a 100 by 100 steel bracket under the van where the bolt comes through.... the problem I have is that some of the bolts come out very close to the support beams and there is not enough room.

Second thing is....he wants a copper pipe bolted to the wall of the sealed gas locker.... I'm using a camping gas stove secured to a unit which has a flexible hose on it....

Would it be OK to make the steel bracket say 200 by 50 or something like that

As to the copper pipe.... if I run a 18 inch pipe secured to back of the locker with flexible hose at each end to connect to the cooker and gas bottle

Any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Shoog

Hi,

As to the copper pipe.... if I run a 18 inch pipe secured to back of the locker with flexible hose at each end to connect to the cooker and gas bottle

Any advice would be great thanks.

This will definately not be acceptable. The requirement is for copper all the way from the gas locker to the cooker. There can be no flexible hose within the cab what so ever. This is for the obvious reason that in the case of a fire the rubber gas hose would melt and likely cause an explosion. You can modify the gas cooker to have a copper pipe joined where the spigot was originally. Cut the spigot off and the pipe should be standard 8mm which will take a microbore compression fitting.
    However I have my doubts that the camping stove would satisfy the gas fitter since he will insist on a flame out safety valve which very few camping stoves are equipped with. Also consider the requirement that every join in the copper pipe may require its own dropout hole of 10,000mm2 (consult your gas fitter on this detail).

Gas is not easy.

Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

First thing is.... I was told by a SQI that if I moved seats in my van that I must put a 100 by 100 steel bracket under the van where the bolt comes through.... the problem I have is that some of the bolts come out very close to the support beams and there is not enough room.

My rear bolts were adjacent to the crossmember I used a length of angle iron that runs the full width and overlaps the joint between crossmember and floor panel its massively stronger than individual spreader plates. You could also fold your spreader plate where it meets the crossmember and bolt / weld it to the crossmember this would be stonger than a flat spreader plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Happy.camper

Thanks for your replies.

The angle iron seems straight forward enough so I'll get onto that.....any pictures would be great.

The copper pipe running all the way I'm not sure of.... how could I connect a fixed pipe to the gas bottle when the connection needs to spin round about 20 times before it is completely lock tight.

Again any pictures of yours would be great.

You need a bulkhead mounted gas regulator with an attached flexible hose which connects the gas bottle to the regulator. The copper starts in the gas locker and is attached to the regulator and exits through a sealed orifice in its wall.

This shows what is required at the bottom of the first page:

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/datasheets/gas-caravans-motorhomes/

Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Far as I know the MCC won't give you membership and thus insurance if you're just using a camping stove. That is how you're planning to get insurance isn't t?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Happy.camper

Insurance isn't an issue for me. Since my first post I contacted micheal moynihan from MCC and he has given me all the information I need. Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Far as I know the MCC won't give you membership and thus insurance if you're just using a camping stove. That is how you're planning to get insurance isn't t?

Is an electric induction hob accepted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Sorry for hijacking but can anyone tell me the regulations for carrying/storing the gas cylinder or tell where i might read the Irish regs..
    As regards a sealed gas locker etc..

Thanks in advance..

Try this for size - the relevant section is right at the end:

http://www.rgii.ie/_fileupload/installer%20files/Technical%20Info/RGI-BOOK-Sept2012.pdf

Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Thanks..

• Advertisement
Advertisement