Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helmet best before date

Options
  • 27-09-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I was out having a post cycling coffee with a mate and I noticed he had a new helmet. He replied 'well it was 5 yrs old and time to replace it. ' he went on to explain even if yr helmet hasn't been dropped or in a collision it should be changed every 3 yrs or so . Is there any truth in this ? Never heard of this before ...his lbs told him this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

have heard this before but not sure if there's much truth to it. sure some helmets could be sitting in stock for years before they are sold and actually used.

Only reason I can think of unless it's ancient is UV and sunlight affecting the materials :confused:

I'm no scientist so have no idea if theres a case for that or it's just manufacturers trying to sell you a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've heard this before and usually change in or around the date (sticker inside helmet). I heard it was something to do with the impact support materials disintegrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There was a similar thread recently:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057765200

There is an issue of UV-related degradation of expanded polystyrene. However, I'm pretty sure the five-year recommendation is just made up, like most "best before" dates. I've never heard of any lab work or fieldwork that this was based on.

(EDIT: There's a BHSI link on the first page of the old thread I linked to that recommends eight years, based on a testing by MET. It doesn't say what the testing is, but eight years seems plausible enough. As plausible as five anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

So long as it not a "use by date" you'll be graaaaaannndddd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

I found a pack of alka-seltzer that was seven years out of date recently. When I checked into it, these products have to have a best-before date, regardless of whether the product is known to "go off". I imagine the local chemist would have said throw them out, but they were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is pretty informative on best-before dates:
    http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/best-enjoyed-by/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Grassey wrote: »
    So long as it not a "use by date" you'll be graaaaaannndddd

I always make sure to have a violent crash before my helmet use-by date expires. Don't want to risk going beyond that date and I hate to waste it by throwing it out unused.

Advertisement