Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame Cracked

Options
  • 27-09-2017 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My carbon fibre bike recently developed a crack in the frame. The bike shop where I bought the bike has closed down since my purchase.

I contacted the current Irish dealers for the Swiss manufacturers, who passed on my warranty claim.

The manufacturers have rejected the claim on the basis that the crack must have been caused by an impact and is not due to the material degrading.

I am not happy with this. It is impossible to say how the crack started, they have only seen pictures. Of course I cannot prove how the crack started, but I am not happy to accept their convenient view that it was due to an impact.

Further even if it was caused by a crack surely to be fit for use a bike should be able to withstand minor impacts. For sure no one went at it with a hammer.

Any suggestions how I might take this further would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Was the bike involved in a crash - not sure you make that clear?

Can we see the pics of the bike? Someone may have an idea if it is crash related, fatigue, or faulty manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Woodpark2012

Not involved in a crash. Here are some pics.

Sorry can't see how to ad a photo. I will try again later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Can't see the pics.

Anyway, my own experience of warranty claims has been more successful. I managed to have a very expensive full carbon fork replaced by Canyon after five and a half years.

The fork was sent to Canyon's office in the UK, where it was evaluated by a mechanic, who then wrote up a report and sent it onto the Germany HQ. The decision was made in my favour and I got it replaced.

I'm surprised that the company, in your case, has not looked for a mechanic's report or to have the frame shipped back to the factory for evaluation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i sold an Orbea last year to a local guy and this year he rang me to say there were several cracks when the LBS looked at it. LBS processed it and Orbea replaced the frame.
    Pushing it a little further.... ask them to look at the frame.maybe get an independent mechanic to write a report and send it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Was it a Bmc bike ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement