Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Visa

• 27-09-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have my american citizenship through my father, and I'm hoping to move over to him for awhile, but I'm just wondering how easy it is for my boyfriend to get a working visa to go over and he also has family over there too. Should be apply for it before he leaves? or get the 3 month visa and apply and get sponsored while over there? He's hoping to work for his uncle on a construction site. Any help would be amazing!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

His uncle will have a hard time convincing the US authorities that there is nobody in the US capable of doing that job on the construction site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

nicolam118 wrote: »
    I have my american citizenship through my father, and I'm hoping to move over to him for awhile, but I'm just wondering how easy it is for my boyfriend to get a working visa to go over and he also has family over there too. Should be apply for it before he leaves? or get the 3 month visa and apply and get sponsored while over there? He's hoping to work for his uncle on a construction site. Any help would be amazing!!

It's very hard to get a working visa. You can't just apply for one. Im assuming a company transfer is not an option so he needs to be sponsored by a company willing to stump up thousands of dollars to do so and also able to prove that no Americans can do the job.

He's not allowed to apply for jobs and get sponsored while there on an esta. Maybe look into the fiancee visa seeing as you are a us citizen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It's very hard to get a working visa. You can't just apply for one. Im assuming a company transfer is not an option so he needs to be sponsored by a company willing to stump up thousands of dollars to do so and also able to prove that no Americans can do the job.

He's not allowed to apply for jobs and get sponsored while there on an esta. Maybe look into the fiancee visa seeing as you are a us citizen?

Actually you can look for jobs and attend interviews while in the US on VWP. I don't think you can sign an employment contract though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Actually you can look for jobs and attend interviews while in the US on VWP. I don't think you can sign an employment contract though.

This can't be correct, can it? VWP is a tourist visa.

EDIT: I know you can do non paid stuff like attend a work conference on VWP and hot-desk in your Head Office etc but I couldn't imagine you could attend interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Attending a job interview would be permissible on the VWP, but you cannot actually take up employment or perform work, and you'd have to return to your home country after your visit and then apply for an employment visa via the required channels if you want to accept a job in the US.

In the OP's case, if her boyfriend doesn't have evidence of significant ties to Ireland (job, lease, school enrollment, etc.) and he tells US immigration officers that he is coming to stay with his girlfriend who is moving to the US permanently and is going to be looking for a job while he's there, that's a lot of red flags, and he may be denied entry if they are suspicious that he intends to overstay and/or work illegally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement