Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy's name Thady

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

bobbyss wrote: »
    Tadgh also is difficult to pronounce for people other than Irish. This would be a consideration for me if I were naming baby.

This is a valid argument when naming a child, and one that myself and my oh discussed in depth when we were choosing a name for our LO. BUT based on that argument, we'd lose an awful lot of beautiful Irish names if everyone decided to not give their child an Irish name because a non Irish person may have difficulty with it. Even names as 'common' or 'normal' as Niamh would be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a lovely old Irish name (albeit an Anglicisation). It's simple to spell and pronounce. Plus if it's a family name, then there's even more reason to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Isn't Tadgh or a word similar to it used pejoratively by extreme unionists in Ulster? I would hate to have a name associated with that. Tadgh also is difficult to pronounce for people other than Irish. This would be a consideration for me if I were naming baby.

The Ulster word is Taig pronounced tague. Tadgh is pronounced thigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Ulster word is Taig pronounced tague. Tadgh is pronounced thigue.
    "Taig" is another anglicisation of Tadhg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Thady is a solid name. I know a baby thady,it is a lovely name. Short for Thaddeus I think,solid.
    Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

michellie wrote: »
    Ah there was a homeless man in our city called Thady, the whole city knew him and would beep whenever they drove past, he used to love it. Sadly passed away last year, but there's a shrine set up for him now from where he used to sit.

Think that was Tawdy! Tramore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I'm not being critical of the name but I always associated Thady with old, flat cap wearing, farming types. Ok, maybe, when he's a baby but for the intervening 60 odd years before he starts to collect his pension I think it will always make him sound like an aul fella.

it is definitely old-fashioned, but fashions change. In his adulthood, it may not sound old-fashioned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's ok. If it's a family. And and you both like it then fire ahead.
    It is an improvement on some Irish names.
    I wouldn't care about whether someone can pronounce it or not. A lot of foreign people here have foreign name and manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Tadgh also is difficult to pronounce for people other than Irish.  This would be a consideration for me if I were naming  baby.

I always see this as an argument not use traditional Irish names. No offence and to each their own when naming their children but I never get this point? The world is a lot bigger than english speaking countries. I work abroad and all of my colleagues are from other countries (India, Philippines, Lebanon, Syria, UK, Ukraine) they name their kids whatever they want mostly traditional names that i need to learn the pronunciation of. My colleagues make an effort to pronounce my name correctly as I do theirs. Basic English names can be confusing for non native English speakers, one of my colleagues is call Simon and it regularly gets mispronounced.

I think its a nice name and if you and your partner like it go for it.

• Advertisement

Tadgh also is difficult to pronounce for people other than Irish. This would be a consideration for me if I were naming baby.
    It's easy to pronounce. It's difficult to spell, if you're only familiar with English-language spelling conventions, but that's true of a whole range of non-English names (and, come to think of it, of not a few English names also).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I hate it. Sorry. It's probably because when I was a child there was a dirty old man (in every sense of the word) living nearby called Thady, and that's who'd I'd think of straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 2stroke yoke

I hoped the child arrived safe and well .My name is Thady and love it named after a great uncle. I found I never had a Nick name not like my class mates with all the johnpauls Jp's. . 1 thing people don't need to know ur last name . All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I absolutely love the name. It was my number 1 choice when my son was born but alas my husband didn't agree. It's a real solid name imo, and still have regrets to this day.

Would love to know if the OP went for it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I really hope the OP has named the child already!

Advertisement