Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Partners - tee times and all that !

Options
  • 27-09-2017 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭

Do you play with the same people every week ?

If so why ? I put myself down whenever and with whoever. It would be more to do with work. I'd also get a bit bored of playing with the same people every week.

But always fascinated with lads waiting to get exactly the same time and same group and would almost implode if their 4 ball is interrupted in any way - Is that real "getting into the spirit of the club" ?

Then you have this bunch of 30 to 40 lads booking golf say 5 /6 days in advance - the weather changes or they go out night before and don't play at all. That is just bad form in my view - have your club done anything to sort this out ?

I guess you can do what you want - but not sure you have a right to a tee time you may or may not play. There is something just a bit selfish about that.

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Most of the regular 4 balls are all retired guys who are always free to play.

I usually just stick my name down when suits, but lately I've only been playing at the same time every week, so end up playing with the same few guys, we all have families so it's never the same 3 guys guaranteed but it's a small enough group, we play for a few quid and normally the laughing will interrupt the golf a few time during the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I've played with over 60 people in my club this year while still playing regularly with my usual fourball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Unless its a scratch cup or a club major, I'd say most of the time I play with the same group, well, it's an extended group of about 7 or 8, and usually 4 of us will turn up and use the line we've booked.
    Plus it's usually much the same people in the 2 or 3 groups above and below us on the sheet and we're all interchangeable and will always make sure nobody misses out, eg if we have 9 bodies, then two four balls will split up and become three threeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I like to vary who i play with. I don't think i'd like to get in to a set 4 ball. Might have its advantages but i know myself i'd be wanting to move on after a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Generally just stick my name down for a morning slot and play with whoever. Try play with different people every week but usually have a few rounds where it works out to be the same person. Only rejoined my current club last year so best way to get to know members.
    Organise to play with a mate the odd time.

We pay our comp entry via BRS so if you don't remove your name by midday on the Thurs, say before the Sat Comp, you give up your entrance fee. Goes someway to avoid people pulling out last minute. Usually a waiting list to fill a gap of a late drop out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I generally always play with different people and while that is grand it would be nice to start playing with a regular group ideally around my age and ability.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I play with my dad, a friend of ours + random. Often times we have the same fella with us in the random slot.

I'm just happy to get out and I want to play with family/friends when I do

Oh and we usually play the 10:26 timeslot on the sheet.

Before that And for about 15 years we played the 9:38 slot. But I asked to go later when baby arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I play with the same 2/3 most weeks as we would all kill each other for a euro and have it no other way. I still play with others and always like to make myself known and available should an opportunity arise, however the needle is not the same :rolleyes:.

One thing I have noticed is that some players who shoot the lights out with their mates seem to fall apart when out of their company. :eek:

I generally just put my name down on any available slot, usually end up playing with different people but on the odd occasion will play with same person

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

always first out and with the same 3 lads. No one in front to hold us up and to hell to anyone behind us, not our problem.

kidding.
    usually out with same 2 lads and a randomer. changed to later times the last few weeks. not many around in afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

always first out and with the same 3 lads. No one in front to hold us up and to hell to anyone behind us, not our problem.

Amen brother !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

this is pretty interesting alright. i looked at my own clubs timesheet and noticed that there are guys who play the same time, every weekend with the same people. I know there is a comfort in that but surely it would get a bit boring.

I generally play with different people each week. now i may have played with all of them before as i usually try to stick to sunday morning times with family commitments.

I have to admit that i often get selective of the times i put myself in at. i had one bad experience. put myself down with a 2ball, 1 of them was grand the other thought he should be parring every hole (12 handicap) he was cranky and whinging at the start, missed a short putt on the 6th and let go with a range of expletives when i told him to relax he gave me a volley of abuse. continued on his rant for the rest of the round. on 17th i told our 3rd member i'd happily play with him again but never with this guy. he was on the green 100 yards ahead of us while we were taking our approach shots to the green. 3rd member of the group was his brother in law who said he has to play with him each week and it puts him off playing golf.

As regards the pulling out cos of the weather, i must admit to being that way inclined myself. i do think the suggestion of taking the playing fee on thursday is a good one and only refunding if the course is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

I used to just stick my name down with anybody and have done for years. This year a mate of mine join who is just as mad about the game as me :D So the 2 of us play each week with a randomer (Time sheet is mainly 3 balls, only scrambles are 4 balls at my club) Ive played with most people at my club expect for the clicks (same group of lads that play together every week) Time varies but mostly Sunday might get the odd 9 on a Sat..

Weather doesnt bother me I went out after work yesterday for 4 holes in the lashings of rain before dark.. Needed a mid week fix :)

But I have pulled out late (no pun intended) after going for a few the night before and getting carried away! but its very rare and only if I was playing early.. I can't play drunk or hung over.. Im a danger on the course :D

Advertisement