Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike insurance

Options
  • 27-09-2017 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Alright there. Anyone have bike insurance ? If so who is it through?
    Been thinking of getting it for my two bikes as worth probably 1500 each. Reading the terms and conditions of policies seems that unless u keep bike in Fort Knox seems hard enough to claim.

So is it worth getting?

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

There's a heap of threads on this subject. Just do a search and you'll have a load of info on the pros and cons and who to look at, etc.

Mods - might a bicyle insurance superthread be in order here as this is a topic that comes up quite often?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    There's a heap of threads on this subject. Just do a search and you'll have a load of info on the pros and cons and who to look at, etc.

Mods - might a bicyle insurance superthread be in order here as this is a topic that comes up quite often?

+1
    House renewal is up so switching providers and going to name the bikes on it...
    Well price it anyways....

Im getting stuff a year old thats not really relevant just yet but will continue to read.;)

Not that I have a bike worth €5000 but Aviva allow you put it in with the jewellery option but on phoning they are saying you are only covered for €1500 so you have to name the bike aka the opportunity to charge to you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Rang 8 insurance companies and only found 2 willing to insure a high value bike so went with zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

+1
    House renewal is up so switching providers and going to name the bikes on it...
    Well price it anyways....

Im getting stuff a year old thats not really relevant just yet but will continue to read.;)

Not that I have a bike worth €5000 but Aviva allow you put it in with the jewellery option but on phoning they are saying you are only covered for €1500 so you have to name the bike aka the opportunity to charge to you more.

I'd steer clear of Aviva. Their claims handling process is a disgrace of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

2 bikes insured on home insurance.
    1 @ €4200
    1@ €1200

Increased the yearly premium by around €80-100 if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Mine 5K bike added €200 to the insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

jamesd wrote: »
    Mine 5K bike added €200 to the insurance

Insurance is a funny game though. That sounds like good value. At 200 a year it would take 25 years to save up the amount you insured

I lost certain insured items at the same cost but after I claimed the insurer wouldn't quote me again, on anything. So my pool of quotes is diminished and the price will eventually go up or I might not get quoted at all.

Insurance companies are not set up to insure they are set up to win. If you claim on the bike you'll be punished, if you don't claim you lose the premium. I would save the 200 if I were you and take good care of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Best option is usually to include it on your home insurance policy, if you have one.

Advertisement