Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor?

Options
  • 27-09-2017 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

I am on my third baby, and I think I need to buy my third baby monitor!
    My first was a Motorola, it was grand, sound only, but was a bit flimsy, and didn't last beyond the first baby!
    The second was an angelcare (?simplicity model) movement and sound monitor- it was only bought January of last year, and now, both units power on, but there's no sounds(sensitivity is up to 5, channels the same on both units). I've contacted angelcare who say I can buy replacement units, but I don't know whether to buy a parent or a baby unit. They've said I can send the replacement back if it doesn't solve my issue, but I wonder should I bother, since I'll probably have to pay for p&p to get it, to send it back and then to try the other replacement if the first doesn't work.

Anyhow- I never used the movement mat (I actually barely used the monitor, the middle child never slept!), so I'm wondering should I just buy a cheap sound only monitor- any recommendations?
    I know there was a thread on monitors recently, but it was specifically on video monitors, which I don't want!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

we have no 2 due soon and just replaced the bog standard bt monitor, 4 years on and the original lasted well, never bought into these fancy video + movement sensing monitors, you’d spend your time glued to a screen, no thanks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The_Chap wrote: »
    we have no 2 due soon and just replaced the bog standard bt monitor, 4 years on and the original lasted well, never bought into these fancy video + movement sensing monitors, you’d spend your time glued to a screen, no thanks lol

Someone bought the movement one as a gift - I wouldn't have bought it myself, and I certainly wouldn't buy another after it broke so quickly! I'll have a look at the by ones in more detail! They seem very reasonably priced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Bought an aldi sound one almost three years ago. It has travelled with us, been dropped, thrown, yanked off the shelf by the toddler and there is not a bother on it.

We bought a cheap security camera which we stuck in his room and have the app on our phone for if we need to see him for any reason, tbh that’s more valuable now he’s a toddler.... Sound was more than enough for him as a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I had a bt one on my first. These time round not using one at all!! Baby is always with me or another adult so far he is only 1 month old!!
    I had planned on buying a cheap motorolla one that plugs in....no wires. I think it's around €20-€25. I will buy that when I get around to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Millem wrote: »
    I had a bt one on my first. These time round not using one at all!! Baby is always with me or another adult so far he is only 1 month old!!
    I had planned on buying a cheap motorolla one that plugs in....no wires. I think it's around €20-€25. I will buy that when I get around to it!!!

It's only now (at 3 months) that I feel I could do with it. Am starting to put baby up to bed sometimes during the day, but I can't hear him with the racket of his brothers!
    If I knew for definite which end of my angelcare to replace, I'd do that for £25, but the hassle of sending it back is a nuisance if it doesn't fix my problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

We got a basic Tomy sound only one on baby 1 and found it really reliable. On baby 2, we were afraid a second Tomy would interfere with the first one, so tried a basic bt model (which we felt wasn't sensitive enough) and a basic Motorola one (which KEPT losing the connection to the base unit). Ultimately ended up buying a slightly fancier Tomy one (it plays lullabies for no good reason at all, and we spend most of our time handling as if it's a grenade to make sure we don't accidentally start playing music in a sleeping baby's room!!!!) for the baby and using the bt one for the older child.

Short version - basic Tomy is a great option.

Advertisement