Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Killiney\Ballybrack

Options
  • 27-09-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

were looking for a house  in south Dublin. there are a number on sale in the killiney area but most appear to be actually in the townsland of ballybrack. nobody has anything good to say about ballybrack so i'm worried that we would find ourselves in a bad area for school catchment.
    any advice on the killiney\ballybrack area? schools catchment areas and rules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

kevinc565 wrote: »
    Hi,

were looking for a house  in south Dublin. there are a number on sale in the killiney area but most appear to be actually in the townsland of ballybrack. nobody has anything good to say about ballybrack so i'm worried that we would find ourselves in a bad area for school catchment.
    any advice on the killiney\ballybrack area? schools catchment areas and rules?

Can you be a bit more specific with what estates your looking at? It really depends which area and what schools are in proximity. Johnstown national is considered a good school and is in the watsons area which has a killiney address, it is near Ballybrack but in my opinion would be a good location. Other areas like bayview also a killiney address but beside a not so great area, this estate I'm not too sure which school catchment you'd fall into. If you can give more detail it would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

coundon court and also church road area.

coundon court and also church road area.

Both those areas are absolutely fine, nothing to be worried about.

do you know what schools are in the catchment area? and are they ballybrack schools or dalkey\killiney schools?

do you know what schools are in the catchment area? and are they ballybrack schools or dalkey\killiney schools?

I think the best thing to do is ring some schools and find out if those adddresses are in the catchment area, I suggest calling Johnstown national and Dalkey School Project, there are a few church of Ireland schools aswell but unless you are church of Ireland you probably don't have much chance getting a place. A friend of mine lives in a lovely area and thought they had a good address but they have just realised now they are doing the school applications they are right on the border and are actually in the sallynoggin catchment which they don't want! You are better off confirming with local schools before purchasing as it sounds like this is very important to you.

• Advertisement

I've already checked the catchment for johnstown : http://olgc.ie/wp/wp-content/uploads/Parish-Boundary.jpg
    and tried to call them for the last couple of weeks but their phone always rings out. 
    Looking at the map killiney is across the road and isn't included. I've fired off an application nonetheless as i presume the catchment only comes into account of they are oversubscribed.
    you're right though, no point shelling out 700k+ if your kids cant go to the "local school"

and johns national school on church road. is that any good or is it rough?

and johns national school on church road. is that any good or is it rough?

I don't know anyone that goes there but I think it might have a rough element.

In relation to Johnstown I have 2 friends whose kids go there and they don't live in the catchment area so I'd say you'd be unlucky not to get a place, that said I would still be trying to follow up with them, try emailing if they aren't answering or even pop in person to ask. Good luck!

Advertisement