Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurant in Cavan

Options
  • 27-09-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking for recommendations for a restaurant in Cavan, for a couple. was thinking the slieve russell or reynards in cootehill maybe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The Oak Room on the corner of Bridge Street and Abbey Street is very good. Cavan town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Agree with choices by other poster. Would also recommend Murphs bistro @ Derrygarra in Butlersbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

im looking for a fine dining restaurant

Olde Post inn could be an option then. Think that would be classed as fine dining.

Other places are good places just slightly less formal

Still in Co.Cavan , but a longish drive from Cavan town, Nevin Maguires in Blacklion would also fit the bill for fine dining.
    Unless you get a cancellation, you might have a long wait, from what I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

any restaurants in between bistro and fine dining?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    any restaurants in between bistro and fine dining?

Ah here it's not Dublin round this way!! :)

Between the options listed you will get a decent meal and service. I would go to any of these options for a nice dinner for birthday or celebration / trying to impress someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Cavan Crystal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for recommendations for a restaurant in Cavan, for a couple. was thinking the slieve russell or reynards in cootehill maybe.

The Old Post in Cloverhill. If you can get a reservation, Neven Maguire's in Black Lion is the best restaurant in Cavan: http://www.nevenmaguire.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

The olde post inn is lovely. Maguire is too full of game option for my liking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Old post inn and slieve russel is lovely...Any particular part of cavan OP?

No point in You been near Kingscourt and us sending you to blacklion :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Well folks, im up in Cavan Town next weekend and wondering the best places to eat?

Just wondering has much changed since the last posts on here??

Thanks in advance

As above, really.
    There is a brand new Curry House on main street beside The Imperial bar, but I haven't been in it yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Haven't been, but have heard good things about https://peoples.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    As above, really.
    There is a brand new Curry House on main street beside The Imperial bar, but I haven't been in it yet.

This must be the one being opened by the Indian restaurant in Monaghan town - Eastern Balti.
    The food is excellent in the Monaghan one and the owner is a generous gentleman. It has the carry out business in the same room as the main restaurant and it can be annoying trying to eat with a crowd standing behind you waiting for their carry outs. Only a prob when it is busy/peak times for carry outs though.

Yeah, forgot about it.
    Friends were there after Christmas and liked it., but it's hard to know if one person's idea of fine dining is the same as someone else's.
    People's is the restaurant attached to The Farnham Arms hotel in the town centre, being leased by those two guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

The food in People's is lovely. Was there for the first time last month and I would definitely go back.

Actually, now you mention Indian food, there is an Indian Restuarant way out in the country called Rahultan Indian Restuarant. It's on a side road between Belturbet and the Clones road at Castle Saunderson. You can even stay over afterwards!

Thanks for all the replies folks..

I booked the Oak Room for Saturday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

The Oak room is an excellent choice, I was there a few weeks ago. The food was top notch and the staff were lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

+1 for the Oak Room - I was there tonight with my better half and thoroughly enjoyed the grub. The staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Stuffed now!

Folks.. I'm in town.. Anywhere for a decent pint?? No kiddies discos now

Louis Blessings, just down from the market square. Craft beers plus some nights have a local band. (Rock or indie, no trad allowed :D)
    The Abbey Bar, on the roundabout at the bus station. Traditional, tiny and busy. Good pints.
    Brady's, across from the post office. Traditional family run place.

Thanks for that.. Very much appreciated

Stay out of everywhere after The Imperial as you drive up main street. Especially Kitty's.

Nekarsulm wrote:
    Stay out of everywhere after The Imperial as you drive up main street. Especially Kitty's.

Are they the most welcoming spots?

Holes.

Well folks,

Massive thanks for the recommendations.. Had a right weekend in the town.. Food in the Oak Room was amazing and great value too.. And the pints went down a treat too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Louis Blessings, just down from the market square. Craft beers plus some nights have a local band. (Rock or indie, no trad allowed :D)
    The Abbey Bar, on the roundabout at the bus station. Traditional, tiny and busy. Good pints.
    Brady's, across from the post office. Traditional family run place.

That’s interesting, I didn’t realise Blessings was a decent spot again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 JulietJones

What pub did you go to Krusty? Headed in the same direction and having dinner in the Oak room too. Looking for a nice pub for a couple of after dinner drinks- nothing too crazy and not full of kids- we'd be what you might describe as slightly maturer! Not at all familiar with Cavan town so somewhere not too far away from the restaurant would be good. Cheers

Advertisement