Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone locked.

Options
  • 27-09-2017 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭

Hi, bit of a strange one. I've been a Meteor PAYG for years. For the past 11 months I've been using my SIM in an unlocked Alcatel 10.16 that was purchased from Amazon.co.uk. This has worked without issue until this evening when the phone seemed to lock itself. It is now asking me for a network unlock code.

I was wondering if this could have been caused by the changeover from Meteor to eir? Would there be something at the SIM card level that would have caused this? I believe the phone may have rebooted this evening which may be the first time it was off since the changeover.

Would you be in a position to provide me with an unlock code?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Hi, bit of a strange one. I've been a Meteor PAYG for years. For the past 11 months I've been using my SIM in an unlocked Alcatel 10.16 that was purchased from Amazon.co.uk. This has worked without issue until this evening when the phone seemed to lock itself. It is now asking me for a network unlock code.

I was wondering if this could have been caused by the changeover from Meteor to eir? Would there be something at the SIM card level that would have caused this? I believe the phone may have rebooted this evening which may be the first time it was off since the changeover.

Would you be in a position to provide me with an unlock code?

Thanks.
    Hi there Braden Rancid Glassware

Thank you so much for getting in touch with us here.

The changeover wouldn't have affected your device as it's the same service you're using.  Have you tried other SIM cards in this handset?  If it's asking for an network unlocking code, it's definitely locked to the network it was purchased on.  If the device wasn't purchased on our network (Meteor or eir), we won't have the unlocking code for this.

-Kyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

eir: Kyle wrote: »
    Hi there navi

The changeover wouldn't have affected your device as it's the same service you're using.  Have you tried other SIM cards in this handset?  If it's asking for an network unlocking code, it's definitely locked to the network it was purchased on.  If the device wasn't purchased on our network (Meteor or eir), we won't have the unlocking code for this.

-Kyle

Thanks Kyle. The phone was purchased as unlocked from Amazon. It worked perfectly for 11 months with the Meteor SIM. It then locks out of the blue. I understand that you can't unlock third party phones so I will get it unlocked privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

eir: Kyle wrote: »
    Hi there Braden Rancid Glassware

-Kyle

Thanks Kyle. The phone was purchased as unlocked from Amazon. It worked perfectly for 11 months with the Meteor SIM. It then locks out of the blue. I understand that you can't unlock third party phones so I will get it unlocked privately.
    Ok no problem at all. 

Thanks 

Adam

Advertisement