Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending a bike to Dublin

Options
  • 28-09-2017 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

I want to get a cheap ladies mountain bike from Donegal to a student in Dublin. She usually brings it there and back with her on Bus Eireann but this time had to travel without it. Don't suppose it could go on Bus Eireann on it's own if she picked it up in Bus Aras? Failing that, I'm guessing a courier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Im not sure of name but isn't there a local bus from Donegal to Dublin - McGinleys ??
    What ever its called drop around and ask them, its worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Try posting on the local facebook pages asking if anybody is travelling in a car or a van and would be willing to carry it. A courier would probably charge the price of a cheap bike on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Heighway61 wrote: »
    I want to get a cheap ladies mountain bike from Donegal to a student in Dublin. She usually brings it there and back with her on Bus Eireann but this time had to travel without it. Don't suppose it could go on Bus Eireann on it's own if she picked it up in Bus Aras? Failing that, I'm guessing a courier?

they certainly used to do that with parcels, used to be the quickest way of getting a parcel to dublin.
    no idea if they still do though depends where you are though if you have a local bus eireann depot you could ask there

you could always ask in the donegal forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=948

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Thanks for the replies. Was waiting for Bus Eireann to get back to me, and they said no. Emailed a local courier tonight, hopefully they'll do it at not to much cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Emailed a local courier tonight, hopefully they'll do it at not to much cost.

It'll be cheaper to buy a bike in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Foxmoves

Thanks for the replies. Was waiting for Bus Eireann to get back to me, and they said no. Emailed a local courier tonight, hopefully they'll do it at not to much cost.

What part of donegal?

A courier did it for €25.

Feckers bent the frame, bike is destroyed, unuable. I had agreed, as they don't normally do bikes, that I was sending it at my own risk. At least it wasn't very valuable but she could have done without having to fork out for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Thats really poor. Hard to imagine how this could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The must have been willfully negligent of it, it's not easy to bend a frame on a heavy mountain bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Surprised BE didn't do it. Maybe risk of thief or damage. Have traveled with my bike before on BE, but made sure it was on the lessor used side of the hold, and locked to the frame work.

Wondering a courier managed to damage the frame though, sounded quite neglectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SteM

Feckers bent the frame, bike is destroyed, unuable. I had agreed, as they don't normally do bikes, that I was sending it at my own risk. At least it wasn't very valuable but she could have done without having to fork out for another one.

Did they refund you the cost of the delivery at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There is own risk and negligence.
    You paid for a bike to be delivered in one piece.
    Small claims court. You were relying on their expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There is own risk and negligence.
    You paid for a bike to be delivered in one piece.
    Small claims court. You were relying on their expertise.

I second this. It’s not a difficult task and it’s not a fragile item so they were clearly negligent in the way it was most likely thrown into the van/truck and heavy items placed on top.

Advertisement