Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Jaysus, I couldn’t live on €198 welfare a week'

• 28-09-2017 10:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

'Jaysus, I couldn’t live on €198 welfare a week' - Regina Doherty, Minister for Social Protection

What an admission from a TD, never mind the responsible Minister!
    What is she hoping to achieve with that statement?
    Does she not realise the dole is actually €193pw?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭Allinall

etselbbuns wrote: »
    'Jaysus, I couldn’t live on €198 welfare a week' - Regina Doherty, Minister for Social Protection

Nice to see an honest politician for a change.

I couldn't live on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I however would live like a king

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If only it was true and people couldn't live for long term on that amount...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Nor could most working people but many people on the dole also get rent supplement, free medical/doctor, free child care, free education, fuel allowance etc etc and don't have the same expenses as someone working and paying a mortgage, childcare, doctors fees, etc etc

When everything else is taken into consideration the dole is a very reasonable amount of money compared to many other EU countries...hence the reason welfare tourism is a booming business here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Oh good, a dole bashing thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Allinall wrote: »

How does saying that make her honest? It would be hard for someone on 157k/year to go live on 10k/year.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It mainly depends on where in the country you live imo. You can live pretty well on that amount outside of Dublin. I was on the dole for a few months while renting in Cork a couple years ago and still had plenty of money to feed myself, pay my rent (320pm), and go out for a few drinks every now and then. Might not get away with it now the way rent has gone in the cities though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Some people own their own homes outright (perhaps a parent's investment or inheritance).

€193pw, plus medical card and fuel allowance.. nothing wrong with that!

The condition of the house matters too. I was in an old house once and the heating costs were almost as much as the rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Of course you could live, eat, sleep and have shelter with it

Wouldn't be as comfortable as your current lifestyle but you'd still be living better than 80%-90% of the world's population

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

We've the highest dole in the world. God help her if she was on the dole in the UK or US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭Allinall

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How does saying that make her honest? It would be hard for someone on 157k/year to go live on 10k/year.

Maybe she was telling the truth?

That's being honest in my book.

Cina wrote: »
    We've the highest dole in the world. God help her if she was on the dole in the UK or US.
    Wrong, France is top of the list, we aren't even in the top ten.

You're not even sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its all relative anyway, where are we on the cost of living list?

It's a lazy/stupid subjective statement that implies social welfare in Ireland isn't enough - when it's one of the most generous in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

:pac: Another dole thread on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In the USA, unemployment insurance is typically 50% of former wages.

So it is higher than here.

But it lasts for just 6 months.

No "dole" after that.

Some countries pay up to 90% of former wages as unemployment payments.

But with time limits.

We pay JSB for 9-12 months, then JSA = "dole" forever.

Our JSB and JSA rates are not not high compared to most countries, though they are high compared to the UK.

What is wrong is the duration of JSA here.

Geuze wrote: »
    Our JSB and JSA rates are not not high compared to most countries, though they are high compared to the UK.

What is wrong is the duration of JSA here.

maybe we re not tackling the root causes of long-term unemployment, or tackling them correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If they give you what basically amounts to a free house - it kinda takes the sting out though.

I couldn't live on 193 / week - but if someone also paid my mortgage for me, I reckon I could get by easy enough!

didnt take long for that 'free' word to come along. boards really is becoming very boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could exist on it but actually living is a different matter.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    maybe we re not tackling the root causes of long-term unemployment, or tackling them correctly?

Correct, we're not doing enough.

Passively paying people each week is not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Of course you could live, eat, sleep and have shelter with it

Wouldn't be as comfortable as your current lifestyle but you'd still be living better than 80%-90% of the world's population

yeahh right a lot of money
    520 euro rent +125 euro electric = 645 a month
    Benefits a month = 836 euro
    836 euro - 645 = 196 euro a month = somewhere at 50 euros a week to live of And sure I will forgot things like internet or mobile phone costs
    And yes some get rent allowance but enough wont because rent is to high
    Lucky me my brother is paying internet and phone for me otherwise I would be fully isolated
    Yes I get fuel allowance but its for fuel and nothing else
    You cant live on 198 euro a week
    rent goes up food costs go up electrics goes up fuel goes up its getting unpayable for the most on welfare
    So with the next budget the benefits has to go up also

Geuze wrote: »
    Correct, we're not doing enough.

Passively paying people each week is not the answer.

enormous amounts of money and resources are required for this, including deep institutional reform. it may never happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Anyone else concerned that the Minister mentioned €198pw instead of the correct €193pw?
    Surely that's basic info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The truth is, a lot of people on the dole / disability are living on a lot less as a chunk of it is going towards paying their rent (both declared and undeclared levels).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Anyone else concerned that the Minister mentioned €198pw instead of the correct €193pw?
    Surely that's basic info?

Next budget a pay rise of 5 euro`s maybe??

• Advertisement

yeahh right a lot of money
    520 euro rent +125 euro electric = 645 a month
    Benefits a month = 836 euro
    836 euro - 645 = 196 euro a month = somewhere at 50 euros a week to live of And sure I will forgot things like internet or mobile phone costs
    And yes some get rent allowance but enough wont because rent is to high
    Lucky me my brother is paying internet and phone for me otherwise I would be fully isolated
    Yes I get fuel allowance but its for fuel and nothing else
    You cant live on 198 euro a week
    rent goes up food costs go up electrics goes up fuel goes up its getting unpayable for the most on welfare
    So with the next budget the benefits has to go up also

It's not "a lot", but it's more than enough

Rent allowance

Even if someone doesn't have rent allowance, they can rent a cheap room in a flat (outside Dublin) for 200 - 300 per month with 50 euros charges and live off the rest

I know people living (or who have lived) on the dole - with money to spare on luxuries like drink, going out, new clothes (not second hand), electrical goods, etc

In my early twenties after losing a job, I lived on the dole in a rented room (with no rent allowance) on the outskirts of the city and even had a small amount of cash to spare at the end of each month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

If a TD says they cannot live on €193pw, what about anyone else that loses their job? Are they less important?
    It is insulting tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If a TD says they cannot live on €193pw, what about anyone else that loses their job? Are they less important?
    It is insulting tbh
    You know, that's basically the Minister's point. She's saying that the dole is an incredibly small amount and that those receiving it should be treated with respect and compassion rather than treated like spongers and wasters.

What's your problem with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

seamus wrote: »
    You know, that's basically the Minister's point. She's saying that the dole is an incredibly small amount and that those receiving it should be treated with respect and compassion rather than treated like spongers and wasters.

What's your problem with that?

If that was her point then it was very poorly made, it came off as more of a boast in my opinion "my lifestyle and expectations are to lavish to make ends meet on that little" is the way i read it and im pretty ambivalent to FG in that i voted for them but they also arent above criticism for many things, however i do think Regina is a moron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I'm curious how people stay on the dole long term.
    People in these threads always talk about how long term dole recipients should be made work etc.
    But isn't that the system we already have?
    If your on jobseekers allowance for more than a year you get put on the dreaded JobPath scheme.
    When you sign on first you have to make a personal progression plan with a case officer. Your expected to get yourself onto courses, schemes etc to get back to employment ASAP.

I was on jobseekers allowance for a year and had to regularly prove I was looking for full time work and sign up for a course.
    There are are CE schemes, Tús schemes that will make you work for your dole.

Do the people complaining about our welfare system actually know how it works?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You reckon?

You can't get the dole if you're under 25
    You can't the dole if you've quit a job
    The basic payment is 411 euros a month

If you've been laid off you get 40% of your previous salary for up to 8 months and then it's over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

In the entire history of boards, has there ever been any solution or conclusion attributed to a dole thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    didnt take long for that 'free' word to come along. boards really is becoming very boring!

+10000

If I read "free house" one more time I'm going to fcuking scream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

somefeen wrote: »
    People in these threads always talk about how long term dole recipients should be made work etc.
    If your on jobseekers allowance for more than a year you get put on the dreaded JobPath scheme.
    When you sign on first you have to make a personal progression plan with a case officer. Your expected to get yourself onto courses, schemes etc to get back to employment ASAP.

I was on jobseekers allowance for a year and had to regularly prove I was looking for full time work and sign up for a course.

Quite probably a lot of them don't, easier to believe the myths.

After I was made redundant in 2008, my income dropped by about 60% of what it had been and I still had a mortgage to pay, on my own. Yet I had people saying to me 'sure at least you have the free travel now'. Ah, what free travel? 'Oh sure they heard somewhere that everyone on the dole got free travel'.....

somefeen wrote: »

No, they hear down the pub about your man that lives up the road from so and so who drives a Ferrari and has a 100 inch television and he's on the dole. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Sometimes I wonder though how they expect students to live off less each month, even if they must rent in Dublin? The highest grant available works out at 150 a week for 9 months. It's kind of sad really because that's the absolute max, and people get more on benefits, although a student is trying to better themselves and will be likely to have a career contributing to the economy in the long term.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I wonder though how they expect students to live off less each month, even if they must rent in Dublin? The highest grant available works out at 150 a week for 9 months. It's kind of sad really because that's the absolute max, and people get more on benefits, although a student is trying to better themselves and will be likely to have a career contributing to the economy in the long term.

Because like it or not going to college is a choice, if people make that choice they have to be able to support themselves or have their parents support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

Exactly! The usual gob****es bang on about 'free' this and 'free' that but clearly don't understand that most of those are only available on certain payments, i.e. not 'the dole' (JSA/JSB). Then again, it seems like not understanding a subject is a requirement for commenting on it, on AH.

pilly wrote: »
    Because like it or not going to college is a choice, if people make that choice they have to be able to support themselves or have their parents support them.

Usually though people on financial support claim it because their parents aren't in a position to do so. Long term unemployment is also a choice.

Usually though people on financial support claim it because their parents aren't in a position to do so. Long term unemployment is also a choice.

Long term unemployment is much more complex issue than a choice. And as a matter of fact we have a miniscule amount of long term unemployed in Ireland so I don't know why people stress over it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

+10000

If I read "free house" one more time I'm going to fcuking scream.

Free house

Long term unemployment is much more complex issue than a choice. And as a matter of fact we have a miniscule amount of long term unemployed in Ireland so I don't know why people stress over it all the time.

Some people find themselves losing jobs and stuff and that's fine, but I hate to see the likes of a benefits sponge getting more support than someone trying to better themselves and who will soon contribute a lot to our economy.

Some people find themselves losing jobs and stuff and that's fine, but I hate to see the likes of a benefits sponge getting more support than someone trying to better themselves and who will soon contribute a lot to our economy.

I'm sorry you hate it but as I said it's miniscule so I tend not to let it worry me at all.

I lived on €200 for a full two weeks once. Easily one of the more memorable experiences of my life. I was bursting with energy by the end of it, as counterintuitive as that might sound.

Have never eaten as much beans and toast either (still a brilliant evening feed).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Going back to the original post on this, which I assume leads to the topic of the Minister making the comments versus the argument of the purchasing power of social welfare payments.

I don't really see the big deal in what she said. As usual it's the standard policy these days of isolating a small quote from a wider statement and focusing solely on that. It's childish stuff, and typically the M.O. of a poor journalist. It was no surprise to me to see Gavan Reilly making a big deal of this on twitter. He's the Helen Lovejoy of the piece, the white knight SJW in Irish media.

I look forward to the reaction should he inevitably put his own foot in it one day. He seems to revel in pointing out the faux pas of others.

If you look at the Ministers comments in a wider context what she says is totally fair, and not a bit controversial. She says she couldn't live on €198 pw. Taking aside it's not the same as what somebody on unemployment benefit/assistance gets (I assume the €198 applies to some people?), she's right in what she's saying. Ignoring her own salary, somebody at her age and stage in life, there's no way she could live on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Nor could most working people but many people on the dole also get rent supplement, free medical/doctor, free child care, free education, fuel allowance etc etc and don't have the same expenses as someone working and paying a mortgage, childcare, doctors fees, etc etc

When everything else is taken into consideration the dole is a very reasonable amount of money compared to many other EU countries...hence the reason welfare tourism is a booming business here.

Compared to many other EU countries it's not very reasonable. Don't make comparisons like this. It's pretty much impossible.

Where did you pull that one out of? Did Mary, tell you? I heard she heard it from Shay, Jim's Uncle, you know the fella with the ginger beard, likes a pint. Well I heard off a lad I used to get the paper from, that Shay's a bit dim so I wouldn't be trusting anything that fella says, mind you, he has some good tips for the derby.
    Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's a lazy/stupid subjective statement that implies social welfare in Ireland isn't enough - when it's one of the most generous in the world

Anything to back that up? How is it compared?

% of pay with a cap, then reducing that amount after a period of time, say 3, 6, 9 months. Then after 1 year you are accessed based on your savings, spouses income, assets (touchy subject) etc. If you don't qualify, you receive nothing. Social welfare will always be required by some, that's a given, but I think this way would help a lot of those who have just fallen into a routine and become very lazy.

Regarding the student grant, it's not supposed to get you through college, it's there to HELP you get through. Work a part time job and make an extra 150 or 200 per week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement