Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre sidewall wear

Options
  • 28-09-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I have the tyre carcass showing on my rear Schwalbe Durano, I wonder is this a normal tear and wear? I had the same thing on the previous Conti GP, had to change it because it started to wobble as well.

I thought it won't happen this time but it did. The brake pad is not rubbing against the tyre. Could it be the rim warming up too much while braking and burns the rubber?
    Those tyres are 25mm, handling 110 kg in total and speeds of 0-65 km/h and rough country roads. There's enough mudguard clearance and it's always showing close to bead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It looks like your not inflating the tyre enough. The tyres feel fine when your off the bike and testing it but when your 110kg is on the bike it compresses and may be damaging the side wall.

What pressures do you keep the tyres at? I'd say for your weight you'd need to be inflating to near maximum or at least 110psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Looks like the rubber is perishing, what age are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I've no pressure gauge, I must get one now! I check the tyres by pinching them. I check the pressure regularly, if it feels soft I pump it up. I hate going through bumpy roads on a rock solid rubbers.
    They are approx. 1 year old and if I'm right 4000 kms on them.
    I'm alternating my rides as well: one day for flat roads, climbing for others. If the pad was at fault, it'd have a lip but I have an even wear on it. I suspected the guards' bracket but I can't hear and smell anything. I look after my bike, I believe I'd notice if anything was acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Get a track pump. You won't be able to get 100+ psi into a tyre by hand and you won't feel anything with a pinch- probably at 70psi your tyres will not pinch, but should still be inflating considerably further

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For what it's worth, I've similar issues with my Conti GPSii. Always been between 76-80kg, and I do check the pressure (and generally go 100psi) every ride!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Definitely looks like issue with under-inflation. As mentioned, get a track pump and, if you and the bike come to around 110kg, put at least 85 in the front and 100 in the rear (and preferably 5-10psi more, but harder will be less comfortable).

Checking a tyre by pinching is a waste of time - anything over 40 psi feels "hard", but is too soft for all but the most basic bikes/tyres.

Advertisement