Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation dinner ideas

Options
  • 28-09-2017 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

My boyfriend and I will be graduating NUIG this October and are looking for a place to get dinner with our families after the ceremony.

Ideally we would like a place that does dinner for less than €30 per person, for a large group of 9 or 10 people. There would also have to be some standard 'Irish food' on the menu as we have some picky eaters, as well as a vegetarian option.

Where would be a good place to book? We'd like somewhere kind of fancy, not a fast food type place, but having been students in Galway up to now, aren't too sure of where to go. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

My boyfriend and I will be graduating NUIG this October and are looking for a place to get dinner with our families after the ceremony.

Ideally we would like a place that does dinner for less than €30 per person, for a large group of 9 or 10 people. There would also have to be some standard 'Irish food' on the menu as we have some picky eaters, as well as a vegetarian option.

Where would be a good place to book? We'd like somewhere kind of fancy, not a fast food type place, but having been students in Galway up to now, aren't too sure of where to go. Any advice would be appreciated

Pricewise fits the bill perfectly, yet still feels a bit special.

http://www.rougegalway.com/restaurant/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

I have noticed that Park House seems to be extremely popular with family groups around graduations. Maybe too popular, ie, very busy.

They have a number of menus, so perhaps something to suit your bill. The food is generally quite good but more traditional - I'm not sure how well they might cater for the vegetarian, or more adventurous, side of your party.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

OP when you say dinner for less than €30 do you mean all mains should be under €30 or are you looking for 3 courses under €30?

Wouldn't agree with Rouge I had an awful meal there recently but it does have a decent reputation so it may have been a one off in fairness.

Il vicolo, Cava and Ard Bia/Nimos are all excellent, (Ard Bia in particular) if they fit within the price range. If you have very fussy traditional eaters a tapas restaurant like Cava might not work. You will find decent sized and more traditional dishes in Cava as well though.

Not in the same bracket but restaurants like Artisan or Kirwans Lane might be worth considering too but I think they're a bit overpriced.

1641 wrote: »
    I have noticed that Park House seems to be extremely popular with family groups around graduations. Maybe too popular, ie, very busy.

They have a number of menus, so perhaps something to suit your bill. The food is generally quite good but more traditional - I'm not sure how well they might cater for the vegetarian, or more adventurous, side of your party.

It's definitely popular, but it's expensive for what you get. An issue would be that with a large group you can't win. Either you let them have the whole menu, and lose control of costs, or you organise a set menu and face inevitable attempts to order outside it or behind the back comments that you're too cheap to provide the full fare.

Rouge gets over those issues by having a very limited menu very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Raisins wrote: »
    OP when you say dinner for less than €30 do you mean all mains should be under €30 or are you looking for 3 courses under €30?

Wouldn't agree with Rouge I had an awful meal there recently but it does have a decent reputation so it may have been a one off in fairness.

Il vicolo, Cava and Ard Bia/Nimos are all excellent, (Ard Bia in particular) if they fit within the price range. If you have very fussy traditional eaters a tapas restaurant like Cava might not work. You will find decent sized and more traditional dishes in Cava as well though.

Not in the same bracket but restaurants like Artisan or Kirwans Lane might be worth considering too but I think they're a bit overpriced.

Artisan is closed now unless it recently re-opened?

The 12 in Barna would be a good option .

• Advertisement

All of those unfortunately are well over budget, with the exception of Cava maybe but hard to see how it fits the bill. Artisan is closed for about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Gemmells!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I usually send people needing a "standard Irish fare" option to McSwiggans: you never had anyone complain that the menu was too fancy there. (Unlike most of the other options listed so far ...)

Friends recently did a group dinner with starters, mains, coffee and some drinks for €37 per head, so I'm sure you could manage €30 per head by cutting back on drinks and/or coffee, starter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've had a look at the menus and the Parkhouse seems like it might be the best option for the group we've got, and I've heard people I know recommending it too.
    Although we might consider mcswiggans either. I think rouge might not have enough choice on the menu for this group of people. Any other suggestions are welcome, probably won't reserve anything for another day or two.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've had a look at the menus and the Parkhouse seems like it might be the best option for the group we've got, and I've heard people I know recommending it too.
    Although we might consider mcswiggans either. I think rouge might not have enough choice on the menu for this group of people. Any other suggestions are welcome, probably won't reserve anything for another day or two.

If it's a choice between Parkhouse and McS, I'd go for McS. Parkhouse caters more for those who like food that won't tax their dentures too much :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You wont be dissapointed by Park House :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

?Cee?view wrote: »
    If it's a choice between Parkhouse and McS, I'd go for McS. Parkhouse caters more for those who like food that won't tax their dentures too much :D

Although it would not be my personal choice for a meal, I think you are being a little unfair there.It is traditional style but the quality is quite good and the choice is fairly wide, if not too adventurous. Also it does have a sense of occasion and no one is likely to feel out of place - in terms of age, dress style, etc. I think it is suitable for an eclectic group in terms of age and food choice. Not the cheapest though - but probably not as dear as some of the suggestions, all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

We went to a graduation lunch at the ardilaun hotel before. Not sure of price as I was a guest but it was a set menu for a group and suited all ages.

We went to a graduation lunch at the ardilaun hotel before. Not sure of price as I was a guest but it was a set menu for a group and suited all ages.

Apparently they have a new head chef now and things have vastly improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

Kirby's offer three courses and a complimentary after drink for €23 a head.
    Good food, good spot and worth consideration....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pjohnson wrote: »
    You wont be dissapointed by Park House :)

Side of veg and shpuds with the chicken curry obviously won you over ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Is it on a particular day of the week? Vina Mara do a 'tenner' mains option Mon-Wed. The decor is a little '80s, but the food is quite delicious there, with sound staff, big tables etc. They cater for those who like a 'big bit of meat' right across the board to fish, veggie and even vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

inisboffin wrote: »
    Is it on a particular day of the week? Vina Mara do a 'tenner' mains option Mon-Wed. The decor is a little '80s, but the food is quite delicious there, with sound staff, big tables etc. They cater for those who like a 'big bit of meat' right across the board to fish, veggie and even vegan.

Steaks are hit and miss there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jam83 wrote: »
    Steaks are hit and miss there.

I've found the food to be less than wonderful there, plenty better options already suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

We've given up on Rouge after a half dozen bad experiences there. Haven't been there for a year so I guess things could change but we used to go often and they'd miss as often as they hit. They started out great but within a year their quality dropped meanwhile their prices rose. However we did love the atmosphere there and still miss Petite Rouge which was a great place to meet before dinner.

As far as safe Irish fare to suit young and old tastes I'd agree McSwiggans is good, reasonable, and consistent. Another option with nice atmosphere is Cooke's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've booked a dinner in Maxwells for it. Decent prices, and the last time I was in there it was gorgeous. Should keep everyone happy!

Advertisement