Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Commuting and Training Tyre

Options
  • 28-09-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi, currently running Conti GPS 4000S2's and need to move to a dedicated winter tyre after a blowout and a few wet twitches. I'm stuck between the Open Pave and Durano Plus. Any recommendations? Commute is a quick 16km each way and tend to get around 200km per week in total.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Open Pave is a performance tyre so you will end up running through a few sets over the course of the winter. Have run Marathon plus in the past which were very reliable though very noticeably heavy - have you considered the Conti 4 Seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Was about to order Conti GPS 4000S2's as winter tyres, meant to be a good all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Marathon Plus are the obvious choice for a winter commuter. Big and heavy tires, but they are bomb proof. Never had a puncture using them in over 10,000km through Dublin city. Only stopped when I got my new bike, and they came with Durano Double Defense, which are okay.

I used GP4000II's for a long time too. Very good tire, very resistant to punctures and good grip. They are a very well rounded tire. But just not as bomb proof as the Marathon Plus. It all depends on what you want I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Durano Plus are much grippier than Marathon Plus, which can be deadly in the wet.

But not as good as GP4000SII...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I use 25c Durano Plus's for my daily 30km round trip commute. Not as nice a ride as GP4000s obviously but that's more than compensated for by them being completely bombproof in my experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

detones wrote: »
    Was about to order Conti GPS 4000S2's as winter tyres, meant to be a good all rounder.

yep...i use them all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've used GP4000 throughout the winter with no problems, maybe try a wider tyre for more grip?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ive used the 4000s for a couple of winters and on average picked up 2-3 punctures...now that involved daily commuting into the Dublin city so glass and that is more likely.

I've been using the four seasons for a full year now and not one puncture and they still look in great shape. No change in cycling routine either so i think the comparison is fair.

I only use the gp4000s on my non commute/winter bike now. 4 seasons for commutes and long winter spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have Durano Race Guards on my winter bike, very nice rolling tyre and the weight (290gr fro a 28mm tyre) doesn't seem to slow it down any. So far no punctures and I have ridden them on some really crap rough roads. Reasonably priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I just bought a pair of GP4000SIIs for my winter bike. Used them for a while now and had no issues - 68 euro a pair from CRC at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Bought a winter/commuter bike with Luganos on it, replaced them with same recently for €8.50 a tire! To be honest, I've found them grippier than the gp's I had on my last bike, particularly on cornering in the wet, and have only had one puncture on them in 15 months or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I like the Michelin Pro4 Endurance myself but only recently put one on the bike when stuck. Marathon plus for puncture protection, but not great for grip and slow but in urban traffic hard to fault.

Vittoria Hypers are my most used ones, but they have a reputation for being twitchy in the wet

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Weepsie wrote: »
    I like the Michelin Pro4 Endurance myself but only recently put one on the bike when stuck. Marathon plus for puncture protection, but not great for grip and slow but in urban traffic hard to fault.

Vittoria Hypers are my most used ones, but they have a reputation for being twitchy in the wet

Could have done with knowing that on Hyper's a few weeks ago, totally lost the front and banged up my shoulder!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Thanks for all the replies. Running 28's at the moment and there isn't a lot of clearance for guards so using a hacked to fit set of raceblades which don't give great coverage, that is also part of the decision. I think I'll try the 4 seasons in 25mm and see how it goes.

Advertisement