Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the most expensive book that you have bought.

• 28-09-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Mine was ....
    9233_7cf3078cb5df311284409ba1a9c9dae0.jpg

At the time it was around £120.:o
    Took me a while to decide at the time and cost me more than I wanted. But now I'm glad I' took the plunge.The fact I love the Author and it's also quite rare is a bonus.

Birthday money helped a lot in the making of the content for this post. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Never heard of it I have to say. There's a new history book out about Ireland 1916 and thereabouts. It costs €60 and weighs 5k. I am eyeing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

A Dictionary of Proper Names and Notable Matters in the works of Dante by Paget Toynbee , 1st edition . I can't remember the exact price I paid but it was well over 100 quid in old money .

Last expensive one I bought was a first edition of Michael Hartnett - 60 euro or so .

Thought I have sold ones I picked up for a few pence for hundred of pounds and euros .

Next expensive one I intend to buy is The Irish Famine one published by Cork University Press for around 50/60 Euro . For such a well produced book it is cheap at the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Linux Bible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Linux Bible.

My grandfather had the most amazing bible from the 1800's.I thought many a time of taken it when he died ,but decided not to,as it did'nt feel right .One of my aunt's got it and sold it for a good price at the time.I know if I had taken it ,it would still be in the family ,as I would not have sold it,for no amount of money.Sometimes I regret not doing the wrong thing.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Adviceme

Full set of Kurt Vonnegut Jr books.
    Any Vonnegut lovers on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

The Stephen King Universe, See the attached, I have number 216 or something similar. Unlike the one attached mine also comes with the original leather box and is also signed by all three authors, paid a fortune for it back in the day.
    Also have a beautiful illustrated Lord of the Rings book, from back before it became really popular, one of the most beautiful looking books I own, it was a Christmas present....didn't get much else that year, the price of the book was seeminly extortionate. For all the pros of a kindle, you can't beat the smell of a leather bound book x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

first edition of ' a Bear called Paddington ' 2 years ago -- 120euro , I wasn't well that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bought a book at auction "A disposition on the position of Protestants in Ireland" 150 Euro.
    Published 1694.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 samck1996

Dutch Type - $91

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I can't remember. It wouldn't have been more than 20 euro anyway. :)

I bought the Inspector Morse collection one time so that must have been the most expensive literary purchase I made.

I'm not a big fan of ownership; books sitting on a shelf gathering dust after I've read them. I rely on my trusty library card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brady099

[font=q_serif, Georgia, Times, "Times New Roman", "Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro", Meiryo, serif]Probably [/font][font=q_serif, Georgia, Times, "Times New Roman", "Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro", Meiryo, serif]The Brown Rat [/font][font=q_serif, Georgia, Times, "Times New Roman", "Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro", Meiryo, serif]by Graham Twigg. The price has gone down nowadays, which probably means it’s been re-printed, but I paid £50 for it about 25 years ago.[/font]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Adviceme wrote: »
    Full set of Kurt Vonnegut Jr books.
    Any Vonnegut lovers on here?
    Yes!! Sounds like a good collection. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If I don't take into account any college books, then the first was "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes", hardback, with its own case, for something like €84 in Chapters. The second was a second-hand, signed, first edition of "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson, about $100 (I just need to change my name to Ken and I'll be able to pretend she dedicated it to me :D). There's another couple that are floating around in my brains but at the moment their titles escape me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

A signed copy of William Burroughs "Cities Of The Red Night" 1st ed. Around £120

Advertisement