Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Masters

Options
  • 28-09-2017 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching this? The greens look absolutely awful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yeah, real autumn greens. Very slow and bumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

There must have been a brown envelope somewhere. Its not the best looking course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think Westwood is the touring pro there so maybe he was able to pick since he's the host?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I guess it is Lee's version of Rory's with the Irish Open.

It probably highlights the standing Lee has with top Ryder cup European lads with turn out. It is good for European tour to have bigger stars at their events. It probably reminds you how lucky we are what Rory has done - because even at a young age Rory is of a higher global standing in game than Lee.

Course looks very soft and lets be honest if it wants to be a event of top quality a little late in the season for UK.

Rory must like the flags - I wonder will we get an Irish flag at an Irish open. I'm joking - but flags and sport have been all too much with the NFL debate the last few weeks.

Greens look slow - golf is a massive sport across all of UK and like Rory, imagine Lee wants to spread it around. It is a stunting place with rolling hills the UK. There are terrific courses of fantastic variety, most would be just be too easy for these guys.

Good effort from Sky and Lee - but in a negative way, it sort of highlights the real problems in Europe - none of the top Europeans at this play in Europe and to a degree it is back scratching. I'd ask - is that a sustainable model ?

Was it always this late in season lads or has it lost its place ?

Placing in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

I always taught it was earlier to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

I think the course looks very intriguing. First new European Tour course I've seen in a while that makes me interested to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

I think the course looks very intriguing. First new European Tour course I've seen in a while that makes me interested to visit.

Crossfield did a vlog with Westwood there earlier in the year. Gives good idea of how course plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Crossfield did a vlog with Westwood there earlier in the year. Gives good idea of how course plays.

Let's get stuck in..

McIlroy going ok here - Didn't know he was world number 8 last week and 6 this week - he very close now to being outside top 10 if he continues to just not play or his current slump. In fact - someone might know - if you don't play does your ranking hold ?

Was watching him yesterday - amazing how high he can push putts and how soft they are hit. They are so dead as they get to the hole.

I can't put my finger on it - he doesn't look too comfortable or happy on a course. Hardly a smile , he hasn't interacted with the event media wise, what I have seen ? and he was a last minute entry. I was surprised he was last minute entry.,

• Advertisement

Admire Sky trying something for the youth and the game - nice to see someone do something , not sure if sky on their own volition - or more in keeping with Keith Pelley (European Tour) idea of keeping golf fun - modernizing the game - changing the image and modernizing media. Interacting more with social media etc.

I'm a dull old bastard and slow to change - so at times all a bit cheesy and trying too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This is setup for a great final day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sunday tee times have been posted, they're going out in threes with the leading group (Karlsson/P. Dunne/Ramsay)teeing off at 11:25 whereas today they went out in pairs with the last group at 13:05. Weather forecast for the Newcastle area tomorrow doesn't look in any way threatening in terms of thunderstorms or severe rain, anyone have any idea why they're finishing early?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

The earlier starts may be to ensure adequate light.. bad evening and that far East in the time zone it may be dark by 6:15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Hopefully one of the Irish can sneek a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

coylemj wrote: »
    Sunday tee times have been posted, they're going out in threes with the leading group (Karlsson/P. Dunne/Ramsay)teeing off at 11:25 whereas today they went out in pairs with the last group at 13:05. Weather forecast for the Newcastle area tomorrow doesn't look in any way threatening in terms of thunderstorms or severe rain, anyone have any idea why they're finishing early?

It's probably a tv thing, sky want it done & dusted before the start of the Presidents Cup singles I suspect?

The earlier starts may be to ensure adequate light.. bad evening and that far East in the time zone it may be dark by 6:15

Newcastle is 1.6 degrees west of Greenwich, sunset on Sunday is at 18:42 BST. If the leaders teed off on Sunday at 13:05 (as they did on Saturday), they would have six hours of sunlight to complete their rounds.

I think you might have missed my point which was that the last group is going out on Sunday 100 minutes earlier than the last group did on Saturday - the days aren't getting shorter that fast!

It's probably a tv thing, sky want it done & dusted before the start of the Presidents Cup singles I suspect?

+1 that's probably the reason - the power of Sky.

Edit: Oops, not sure Sky will get as many viewers for the final day of the President's Cup as they reckoned. The two remaining matches in Ian Poulter's screenshot below went to the team's leading at the time so it finished with the USA leading 14.5 to 3.5 and needing just one point from 12 singles matches to win....

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter/status/914246548841750528

coylemj wrote:
    Newcastle is 1.6 degrees west of Greenwich, sunset on Sunday is at 18:42 BST. If the leaders teed off on Sunday at 13:05 (as they did on Saturday), they would have six hours of sunlight to complete their rounds.
    Yeah fair enough - I had forgotten about the presidents cup (though that is already over) - with the leader board so tight there is a good chance of a playoff and they need some wiggle room.

If it rains and is dull like it was yesterday evening in Liverpool (living here) they wouldn't be able to see there hand after 6:20.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote:
    Edit: Oops, not sure Sky will get as many viewers for the final day of the President's Cup as they reckoned. The two remaining matches in Ian Poulter's screenshot below went to the team's leading at the time so it finished with the USA leading 14.5 to 3.5 and needing just one point from 12 singles matches to win....

The presidents cup is a joke - just listening to sky last night that there is still pride to play for sounds desperate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

The presidents cup is a joke - just listening to sky last night that there is still pride to play for sounds desperate

Did you see Hoffman’s celebration after his “clutch birdie?” What and absolute tool, over reaction of the highest order. Have a few more choice words here that I better not post. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

McIlroy on the charge, looks like a good final day, pity I'm missing it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not sure why people were giving out about course - I like it.

Has a great mix of holes. Shapes, hills , rough.

I genuinely can relate to this event more as an Irish golfer. The wind the course the conditions the ground the views .

I know watching these sunny places in america is a great escape - but the courses bore me.

This is the golf I can relate to.

Just the US tour rules at present.

Come on the Irish and Northern Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Tyrell Hatton is an awful idiot.

Every missed putt he blames the ground and spike marks in a tantrum.
    I hope he never wins anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

ForeRight wrote: »
    Tyrell Hatton is an awful idiot.

Every missed putt he blames the ground and spike marks in a tantrum.
    I hope he never wins anything.

ya, nothing wrong with the ground and spike marks on his first 2 days. he's seems to e a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dunne starting to get a little bit tight. Hopefully he can keep on holding it together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Really like this course, very interesting. Not the best conditioned greens I've seen but not as bad as Tyrell Hatton would like us to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Really like this course, very interesting. Not the best conditioned greens I've seen but not as bad as Tyrell Hatton would like us to believe.

He must be one of the biggest idiots in golf at the minute

Advertisement