Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Third payout for being rear ended

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

It's their culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

No it's even worse than that. He was a passenger 3 times in cars which rear-ended others. Twice his wife was driving! And 2 at the same roundabout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

he he. rear ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Look up the Clare Coco spend on defending actions taken by travellers. There are some serious going ons in Ennis in this space for a long, long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

FutureGuy wrote:
    Ennis must be a dreadfully dangerous place altogether.

Ennis is fine, this lad really should avoid lifts off family members as they have questionable driving skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Ennis is fine, this lad really should avoid lifts off family members as they have questionable driving skills.

I don't know about that...in fact I think I'd be looking for them to chauffeur me around...strikes me as a very lucrative pastime:)

jojofizzio wrote:
    I don't know about that...in fact I think I'd be looking for them to chauffeur me around...strikes me as a very lucrative pastime

He just seems to get in accidents when his family members are driving wife/sister. Very unfortunate lad, hope the injuries didn't keep him off work for too long....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I do know someone who was recently rear ended twice in the last 8 weeks, no fault of their own after 25 years clean driving..

Personal injury neither time though, even with some whiplash symptoms lasting a few days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

_Brian wrote: »
    I do know someone who was recently rear ended twice in the last 8 weeks, no fault of their own after 25 years clean driving..

Personal injury neither time though, even with some whiplash symptoms lasting a few days..

In Ennis on business at a certain roundabout and hit by a certain unlucky individual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Chancer, if you ask me

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote:
    Chancer, if you ask me

He got paid 3 times, seems to be working for him. The legal profession is seriously at fault here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Maybe he should put the money towards getting the brakes on his wifes car fixed and/or a good dose of laser eye surgery for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There should be a HSE database to show which GP's are giving these diagnoses, or if a person has seen multiple GP's for the same problem.

Seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence of people shopping for a GP that'll give them a diagnosis they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

kenmc wrote: »
    No it's even worse than that. He was a passenger 3 times in cars which rear-ended others. Twice his wife was driving! And 2 at the same roundabout!

She was probably pissed off with him rear ending her:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

eeguy wrote: »
    There should be a HSE database to show which GP's are giving these diagnoses, or if a person has seen multiple GP's for the same problem.

Seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence of people shopping for a GP that'll give them a diagnosis they want.

The problem with "soft tissue injuries" is that they are virtually impossible to prove or disprove beyond reasonable doubt.

I can go to my doctor say I was rear ended, feign pain when asked to perform daily rotary tests like turning my head or stretching arms above my head.

Doctors can only provide a diagnosis based on the evidence presented.

Place a compo cap on injury payments for non provable injuries like whiplash and a large amount of frivolous claims will go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hang on, stall on a minute there, whoa nelly.

They both got a compo claim for when she drove into the back of someone else, while not paying attention?

Fuuuuucccccckkkkkk offfffff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doesn't appear to have affected his shagging abilities anyway seeing as he has 5 kids.

What kind of morons are these judges, Stevie Wonder could see the 3 of them were scammers out for easy money.

This is the reason the rest of us are paying through the nose for insurance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hang on, stall on a minute there, whoa nelly.

They both got a compo claim for when she drove into the back of someone else, while not paying attention?

Fuuuuucccccckkkkkk offfffff.

This pretty much sums it up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your mate was rear ended though no fault of his own.

In the cases in the article, the travellers rear ended other people, and got multiple payouts for rear ending other people. In other words, they are constantly getting rewarded for causing misfortune on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I am more concerned that the wife has been the cause of at least two accidents where she cannot recall how either happened. Hope he puts some of that payout to her increased premiums.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

What would you expect a GP to do when people show up with soft tissue injuries from car accidents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The problem with "soft tissue injuries" is that they are virtually impossible to prove or disprove beyond reasonable doubt.

I can go to my doctor say I was rear ended, feign pain when asked to perform daily rotary tests like turning my head or stretching arms above my head.

Doctors can only provide a diagnosis based on the evidence presented.

Place a compo cap on injury payments for non provable injuries like whiplash and a large amount of frivolous claims will go away.

Invest a couple of hundred grand in private eyes to monitor and film movements of suspicious claimants tarmaccing driveways and counter claim. That'd do the job to deter more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The last thing a GP would want to do is aggravate these people that travel.

It's easier to just sign off on the paper and get them the hell out of the surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What's worst about this other than the courts entertaining it and giving him a payout. Is you could be minding your own business and then some prick decides to smash into the back of your car. Not only risking you serious injury in the process but any no claims you have is out the window at that stage. So say goodbye to your driving career, even thought your not at fault, this is how our insurance overlord operate!

That claim still goes on your record and must be declared and that's it, you'll be going to the Insurance Federation to get a quote after.

Stay safe out there folks, we share the road with some serious lunatic individuals. Who have no problem, doing your health and pocket over in the process.

If the saying is right. What goes around comes around, hopefully they smash into the back of an uninsured driver. Just so it takes that bit longer to get a payout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

His wife's insurance will skyrocket after all these claims against her. How will she afford her renewal next year. If only there were someone who could help her offset the increased cost..............

dmc17 wrote: »
    His wife's insurance will skyrocket after all these claims against her. How will she afford her renewal next year. If only there were someone who could help her offset the increased cost..............

I doubt they are the type to care to much about it when they are not out scamming innocents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I love the fact he says his knee got worse and more painful, I'd have sore knees if I was as fat as this f***er!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

TallGlass wrote: »
    What's worst about this other than the courts entertaining it and giving him a payout. Is you could be minding your own business and then some prick decides to smash into the back of your car. Not only risking you serious injury in the process but any no claims you have is out the window at that stage. So say goodbye to your driving career, even thought your not at fault, this is how our insurance overlord operate!

That claim still goes on your record and must be declared and that's it, you'll be going to the Insurance Federation to get a quote after.

Stay safe out there folks, we share the road with some serious lunatic individuals. Who have no problem, doing your health and pocket over in the process.

If the saying is right. What goes around comes around, hopefully they smash into the back of an uninsured driver. Just so it takes that bit longer to get a payout.

Since when is being rear ended the fault of the driver in front?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Since when is being rear ended the fault of the driver in front?

It isn't your fault at all.

But if you make a claim or they make a claim and you've been in an accident your fault or not, you've got to report it, it goes on your policy.

And if that claim isn't settled, god help you trying to move insurance company cause it ain't going to happen.

People need to read up on insurance, your fault or not it's still a claim and is treated as such by the company. Your NCB is fine but that claim is still on your file and added into the algorithm for calculating your risk for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

myshirt wrote: »
    Look up the Clare Coco spend on defending actions taken by travellers. There are some serious going ons in Ennis in this space for a long, long time.

Was it a hundred a tirty tree towsand !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The two most farcical situations in Ireland; Travellers and motor insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here, but given that its not the fault of the driver in front in each case, whose insurance is being raided here? Is he claiming off his own wife's insurance? Or even if the driver in front is not liable, can there be a claim on their insurance if someone is injured in the car behind?

Have never owned a car or had insurance, but this seems to be going against everything I had previously believed about one car rear ending another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    He just seems to get in accidents when his family members are driving wife/sister. Very unfortunate lad, hope the injuries didn't keep him off work for too long....

:D I see what you did there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I am more concerned that the wife has been the cause of at least two accidents where she cannot recall how either happened. Hope he puts some of that payout to her increased premiums.

:rolleyes:

he will more than likely put most of that money towards his own increased rear end

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here, but given that its not the fault of the driver in front in each case, whose insurance is being raided here? Is he claiming off his own wife's insurance? Or even if the driver in front is not liable, can there be a claim on their insurance if someone is injured in the car behind?

Have never owned a car or had insurance, but this seems to be going against everything I had previously believed about one car rear ending another.

Insurance companies operate with no logic. Until the claim is settled everyone is to blame. So it's hard to move to a new insurance company.

Car behind should pay out and they'll have the full cost of the claim on there policy, but you still need to report the claim, so it goes on your policy also, but your NCB isn't effected. This gives your insurance company a reason to do you over (they do this anyway without reason). But if you have to move company you need to report you have had a claim. Take for example AAs assumptions, you have to declare this incident.

'This includes for example current medical details or history in respect of you or anyone else you propose to name on the policy, details of any claims previously made or submitted by or anyone else to be named.'

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Happened to me twice in less than 8 seconds!!

One day last year was driving along a straight, clear road (N2 with plenty of room for overtaking) and saw this guy come right up to my rear bumper. He then backed off and I wondered if he'd put his foot on the accelerator rather than brake. Then he did it again, and again. The fourth or fifth time he rammed into the back of me. I slowed to a halt and he did the same again!

Got out of the car to remonstrate and the guy just sat in his car staring into space. I start shouting at him. He moves his hand towards the gear lever then starts backing up. I stand in front of his car, completely on adrenalin. He backs up again so I move quickly out of the way and he speeds off up the N2.

Ended up with some urgent laser eye surgery and am still suffering from 3 slipped discs (after a lifetime of back problems). He left his number plate at the scene so the guards eventually tracked him down. They are pretty sure he's insured (probably on his dad's policy), but I am awaiting details of any compensation they are going to offer

8am Sunday morning heading away from Dublin. If he was on alcohol he would have made an attempt to miss me (both collisions were pretty much square-on). He claimed he blacked out when driving and has no recollection of me (despite me having possession of his number plate!) - so I suspect he may have been under the influence of something else

That's a bizarre story. What was his plan there?

I love cases like these when a judge says they don't believe parts of the claimants' stories but sure here's some cash anywayz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

His wife was driving when she crashed into the person in front.

He claimed off her insurance.

Any passenger in a vehicle is third party and can claim off the policy holder / driver.

We have a customer on our books, funnily enough from a nomadic background.

He has two policies with us and on both there are open claims where the policy holder was driving, crashed the vehicle on both occasions into a ditch and the vehicle at the time was packed with various family members.

All of whom have logged personal injury claims against the policy holder.

Nothing suspicious there, eh.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No idea - I equally suspect he had little idea what he was doing. Maybe he was playing a game looking to intimidate me. He had plenty of opportunity to overtake and I was pretty much at the speed limit of 100 km/h. There was a car looking to turn onto the road ahead and I was wondering if he was just trying to gee me along to get past that then overtake, but he made no attempt at any stage to move outside me and overtake. Fortunately I didn't panic but I hate to think what could have happened with an inexperienced driver perhaps with a couple of young kids in the back

Of course if he was out of his head on something that could help explain what was completely irrational behaviour.

It took the guards a few weeks to catch up with him, by which time he'd sold the car, and probably thought he's got away with it, oblivious to the fact I'd picked up his number plate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The plan...

This is very common. A staged traffic accident. Several people in the hitting and hit cars put in personal injury compensation claims. The "offending" driver suffers no real consequences. He will get a piece of the action from the other participants. No one will be able to prove it was a set up (gardai or insurance companies). In this country (high legal costs) it is usually more cost effective to settle personal injury claims before court. Even if it goes to court they will get a pay out. Back pain, whip lash, psychological trauma etc.

Each individual, perhaps eight or nine people altogether, will get 40 to 60K.

To anyone, without the moral and ethical deficits that constrain normal members of society, why not do it?

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    The plan...

This is very common. A staged traffic accident. Several people in the hitting and hit cars put in personal injury compensation claims. The "offending" driver suffers no real consequences. He will get a piece of the action from the other participants. No one will be able to prove it was a set up (gardai or insurance companies). In this country (high legal costs) it is usually more cost effective to settle personal injury claims before court. Even if it goes to court they will get a pay out. Back pain, whip lash, psychological trauma etc.

Each individual, perhaps eight or nine people altogether, will get 40 to 60K.

To anyone, without the moral and ethical deficits that constrain normal members of society, why not do it?

Oh right, I thought the fella was driving by himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Not strictly related to the insurance claims as such, more a general statement...
    Revenue, CAB and the Dsp should be all over these c**ts like a rash, relentlessly, 24/7

They are running fcuking rings around us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's not said often enough, but the socioeconomic profile of judges is relevant here. If we had a better mix of diversity on the bench, it would bring a different value set and represent society more broadly. Why are kids from poorer backgrounds not getting jobs on the bench? Thankfully some are getting over the line as solicitors, and the bar is making a valiant effort.

There is always a disconnect between the general public and the law, the legal profession, and the judiciary on this. It's not just some random guy shouting on boards. There is a real issue here. It is not Frank Clarke's problem, but id like him to serve as an example and lest he and his buddies forget Salus populi suprema lex esto.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

At least they are no longer Irish.

mcko wrote: »
    At least they are no longer Irish.

Silly stuff.

They are as Irish as you or I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It brings a new meaning to coming home and saying 'you'll never guess who I ran into'.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

They are an Ethnic Minority according to themselves and I am quiet proud they are no longer Irish, we should issue them special passports.

Ultimately the problem is not with Judges, or the law, or Solicitors, or Insurance Companies, or Doctors.

The problem is simply that it's so very difficult to detect. Judges have to rely on direct evidence, not hunches, not on the basis of the ethnic identity of the parties - an extremely dangerous undercurrent here. Oh and the idea that because of their socio economic background Judges have some affinity with travellers is laughable.

If 2 people in a car, the driver and passenger, say there was no fraud, is a Doctor supposed to say the passenger didn't sustain an injury, is the Solicitor supposed to brand that passenger a liar?

mcko wrote: »
    They are an Ethnic Minority according to themselves and I am quiet proud they are no longer Irish, we should issue them special passports.

You simply do not understand the difference between ethnic status and citizenship.

You could make your remarkable ignorance clearer with a third effort...or slide away and hope it's forgotten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement