Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter bike recommendation

Options
  • 28-09-2017 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I have a trek t30 and the chain keeps giving me hassle so I think it's time for a new bike. I've no clue so maybe somebody could give me some suggestions and where to buy them also. I'll be buying with the bike to work scheme.

I just want something to go to work on and the occasional cycle to Howth. I don't want something too fancy as I don't want it to be a target/robbed. I suppose I was thinking around €600 before the discount.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm often surprised at people who buy non-commuting bikes mainly for commuting. For your planned usage, I'd suggest a hybrid or city bike with mudguards, dynamo lights, rack/panniers. I much prefer disk brakes too. I've had a generally good experience with my Scott commuter - this would be a little over your budget, but is worth looking at;

http://www.2wheels.ie/product/index/249787_SCOTT_Sub_Sport_30_men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I bought this one about 6 months ago from CRC. I think it was last years model but I wasn’t that bothered about that. Cost me £330 sterling.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ghost-square-trekking-1-city-bike-2016/rp-prod141661

It’s a good bike, a tad heavy but otherwise I’ve no complaints. It’s done me very well, it came with lights, mudguards and pannier rack all fitted. I recently got my first puncture with it and the tyre is cut so I will be changing it to Marathon Plus but the tyres have give me no problems until now.

The model I bought is out of stock but you might get an older model for around your budget.

I also recently bought a pure road bike but if I’m honest, I prefer my hybrid I think. I can’t imagine trying to navigate pedestrians and all sorts in a city centre on my road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Why don't you get your chain sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Why don't you get your chain sorted out?

Was just about to ask the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

If I was doing it again I would go with a road bike with flat bars. I have a KTM Strada 800 with road bike bars but it is available with flat bars. I prefer flat bars for commuting because you are always in a better head up position to see what is going on around you. But being a road bike it is light.

But as others said - get the chain sorted unless you just have a hankering for a new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm often surprised at people who buy non-commuting bikes mainly for commuting. For your planned usage, I'd suggest a hybrid or city bike with mudguards, dynamo lights, rack/panniers. I much prefer disk brakes too. I've had a generally good experience with my Scott commuter - this would be a little over your budget, but is worth looking at;

http://www.2wheels.ie/product/index/249787_SCOTT_Sub_Sport_30_men

I have something very similar to this with all the features you mention. It's a little bit big and heavy is the downside, but the lights, pannier rack, mudguards are ideal for the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

As thegreek said, a road bike with flat bars is great. It's what I use. I'd prefer something that I could fit thicker tires on though, like a cyclocross or something. At least to have the option. I think mine only take 28mm tires max. My brother in law has a lovely titanium Charge Plug that came with thick wheels and tires but he runs it mainly on 25mm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Giant Roam is a nice hybrid in your budget. Got one recently and very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Do you need front suspension?

Some variant of the Trex FX or Giant Escape may suit.

Edit to add - These are hybrids without suspension - which I don't think is needed or useful in commuting.
    I have the FX3 which comes with carbon front fork and 32mm tyres, whereas the fx4 is more expensive on 28mm,and fx2 is cheaper if you don't want the carbon fork. I think 32mm tyres are good all round for commuting and no need suspension - just makes bikes heavier with leaden handling.

gk5000 wrote: »
    Do you need front suspension?

Some variant of the Trex FX or Giant Escape may suit.

My partner has a Trek FX2 for commuting , disc model. Was just under 600 if I recall and add bike to work discount was very reasonable indeed. She's taken it much further than just a work commute too and often heads out with me for longer spins. Probably not the lightest of bikes at about 11.5kg before racks etc are added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Thanks for the replies. Thought I'd give an update.

I didn't get the bike fixed because it was a biggish problem as the cogs on the gears were worn down and the derailleur was damaged. I figured with the bike 2 work, I may as well just go for a new one.

I went with a Giant Escape and I'm very happy with it. Only problem is the handlebars are crazy wide. However, I'm bringing it back into the shop and they said they'd cut them. I'll be delighted with it then.

Cheers for the advise.

Advertisement