Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive by valuation by estate agent?

Options
  • 28-09-2017 7:27pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

And no I'm not mad but wondering if it's possible to get a house valued from the outside? Naturally I'd be expecting the valuation to be less accurate but would an estate agent lauhh9 me off the phone if I asked if it's something they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Stheno wrote: »
    And no I'm not mad but wondering if it's possible to get a house valued from the outside? Naturally I'd be expecting the valuation to be less accurate but would an estate agent lauhh9 me off the phone if I asked if it's something they do?

Not possible, House could look fine but be destroyed on the inside... I've seen houses that look fine until you go inside and see no floorboards or ceiling,.

An estate agent worth their licence will say no can do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

liger wrote: »
    Not possible, House could look fine but be destroyed on the inside... I've seen houses that look fine until you go inside and see no floorboards or ceiling,.

An estate agent worth their licence will say no can do.

Makes sense someone claimed it was possible and I was sceptical

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

In my experience, an agent who knows the area well and has been in the business for a while would be able to give an idea of the value of a house from what street/road it's on. Someone else here might be able to tell you if it's something they do officially!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Stheno wrote:

Curbside valuation, nothing unusual about it. Happens a lot when moving mortgage providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Stheno wrote:

If you hire an estate agent to sell your house the "drive by" is usually the first step of the valuation process to determine the average market value of that kind of dwelling in your particular area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement