Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wall shared with rented property

Options
  • 28-09-2017 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi quick question

We are due to have a complete garden renovation done. When the builder was out looking he noticed our wall which is shared with our neighbour is not stable. The top half wobbles which is unsafe.

Next door is a rented property and I asked the tenants for the landlords number to call regarding the wall.

Tonight the tenant told me the landlord said it's no problem to put a new wall on the top half as long as it's not a big fort or anything.

I would have thought since we both share this wall that we would have to go 50/50 on it. Am I right in my thinking? He would be hasically getting a new wall for free then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

It's something you'll have to work out together as humans.
    If it was me I'd pay half, but I'm not him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Joint responsibility but you cannot make someone pay.

If it were to fall over the tenant may complain and request it repaired?

When landlord calls kindly offer to go half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭kirving

Similar happened at home for me. Split the cost 50/50 which is fair.

I had another identical situation where I was present when there was a question about whose responsibility it was to pay for a wall.

I pointed out that whoever was responsible, the wall could fall on a child and that it should be rebuilt. It was rocking an inch or two back and forth in my hand, and was 4-5 feet high.

Someone else present, who didn't want to contribute to the cost, asked if the house was insured, as this would cover the cost of injury. When it turns out the the house wasn't currently insured, they suggested to insure it immediately as the wall might fall on someone. Can you actually believe that logic?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Your neighbour may prefer to just remove the top half, rather than pay to reinstate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

i had a sewerage issue a few years ago, I was at the end of the run, the pipe on the shared mains was blocked. I paid for the unblocking. I wrote to the six /7 house s a letter said what happened. I gave details cost etc and asked each to pay their share. Not one replied or paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Next door to me is rented also, and we share a side passageway.
    There was a gate which could be locked, to discourage unwanted visitors, kids and dogs running up the side of the houses, but the last tenants broke it a few years ago trying to put their motorbike out the back.
    Now that I am in a position to fix it, current tenants don't want to upset landlord as he is giving them shocking low rent, no house maintanance and not RTB reg. So i'll have to buy & fit the bloody thing, and give next door keys.

Advertisement