Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building basic bungalow

Options
  • 28-09-2017 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Just wondering what it would cost to build basic bungalow about 1000/1200 sq/feet. I'm a carpenter myself so will be doin a lot myself such as foundations, floor, roof, facia/soffit, insulating, slabbing, doors/skirting etc. It'll be mostly buying materials/windows and paying block layer, plumbers and electricians. Lots of my friends and plumbers and electricians so should get that be cheaper also. I'm not including kitchens, floors and finishes, they can be done as time goes on !! Also mains sewage and water are on road at the house so no perculation or septic tanks needed. TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You are a prime candidate to self build. Time & construction knowledge will be your challenges. I'm no QS but materials imo is at least 50% of a build cost, ( then you have council fees, professional fees, connections, waste, renewables etc. whether you can come in for 1000€ per m2, will depend on how much labour you do yourself, so assuming you've endless energy and time, let's talk construction methods.

In the last ten years we have had:
    https://passivehouseplus.ie/news/energy-performance-of-buildings-directive/dept-of-housing-set-to-launch-new-part-l-for-non-domestic-buildings

http://www.bregsforum.com/2016/08/04/alert-near-zero-energy-building-nzeb/

http://www.seai.ie/energy-ratings/building-energy-rating-ber/

1000 pages of new building regs (you need to read these cover to cover and then read them again)
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-d-materials-and-workmanship/technical-guidance-documents

Maybe start with some courses

http://www.passivehouseacademy.com/index.php/our-services/training/europe-training-events/tradesperson-building-envelope

http://ciftraining.ie/product/air-tightness/

http://ciftraining.ie/product/building-regulations-training-course/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Say €110/ sq ft including all fees and connection charges for a very basic specification and building design. This is generally split 50:50 in terms of materials:labour (maybe slightly more weight towards materials) some items of labour you cant do your self ie plumbing & electrics so roughly speaking you would be looking at €70-80/sq ft I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Digged

kieran. wrote:
    Say €110/ sq ft including all fees and connection charges for a very basic specification and building design. This is generally split 50:50 in terms of materials:labour (maybe slightly more weight towards materials) some items of labour you cant do your self ie plumbing & electrics so roughly speaking you would be looking at €70-80/sq ft I reckon.

Thanks for your reply Kieran. Exactly as I was thinking myself and as I was saying my friends are plumbers and electricians so might get that done bit cheaper also. So u reckon €100,000 would go a long way to getting a builders finish on it ? Kitchens/ finishes can be done as time goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

100k should if its cash but if your mortgaging the property the banks will look for the house to be fully finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

kieran. wrote: »
    100k should if its cash but if your mortgaging the property the banks will look for the house to be fully finished.

Ah no, just liveable. But the banks won't consider an under mortgage and will expect the borrowing to be done at standard building rate.
    OP may end up having to borrow more than needed, unless a considerable amount of savings can be shown, or an amount of work already done can be shown.
    But 100kshould cover a 1200 sq' house where all that carpentry can be self done, as long as you already own the site.
    Good luck with it OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,584 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Given that the site is not an issue, is it cheaper to build a bungalow or a house for the same sq.ft-age?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

looksee wrote: »
    Given that the site is not an issue, is it cheaper to build a bungalow or a house for the same sq.ft-age?

Where I live the planning would be the issue, loads of lakes, they nearly insist on bungalows or dormers. But a two storey should be slightly cheaper.

Site is paid for and with some savings and money made on the last house we sold we should have around €100,000 cash to build. Won't need mortgage so don't have to worry about banks

Hi I'm back again. Anybody know how much 4" blocks are to buy these days ? And how much block layers charge per block ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Digged wrote: »
    Hi I'm back again. Anybody know how much 4" blocks are to buy these days ? And how much block layers charge per block ?

Depends where and how many you buy.
    I got one order for 54c a block but the next order was 63 iirc.

Block layers here are charging by the job in my case rather than a per block basis.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply. I've got price of €520 per 1000 blocks delivered today. So block layers not really pricing by block anymore ?

Anybody know what block layers are charging these days ? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You dont want a blocklayer by block really. Its too open to argument. For example are they charging through ope - if so what size ope is not charged through. Are they including cills and lintels in the per block price or is that extra?
    Then you are into the problem of the guy pricing per block underestimating the quantities just to sound cheap versus a man on an overall price.
    Get overall prices and be clear what is included down to cill lintels chimney filling etc, Is cavity insulation being installed etc.

Thanks for reply, I suppose your right !! Do u reckon I'd get 3000 blocks layed for €3000 if they were to price overall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Aravo

Get a quantity surveyor to cost your build. Would cost approx 200e and be money very well spent. If you had plans and a general spec it would be pretty accurate. Otherwise it's a stab in the dark. You could have 2 identical looking houses but they could have different
    foundations, window systems, plumbing, heat recovery etc.

Advertisement