Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approval in Principle

Options
  • 28-09-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

We've just applied for our first mortgage after countless meeting with banks & mortgage advisors. im trying to manage our expectations.. how long can we expect to wait before hearing if we got approval in principle? (BOI, AIB & PTSB)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

CS2811 wrote: »
    We've just applied for our first mortgage after countless meeting with banks & mortgage advisors. im trying to manage our expectations.. how long can we expect to wait before hearing if we got approval in principle? (BOI, AIB & PTSB)

We got ours in may, 2 weeks after application.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

You do realise that AIP is basically just a guide and not a guarantee that you will get that. I've had AIP from Boi, Aib, Ulster and Ptsb. Underwriters knocked it on the head with 3 of 4. Each with different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CS2811

liger wrote: »
    You do realise that AIP is basically just a guide and not a guarantee that you will get that. I've had AIP from Boi, Aib, Ulster and Ptsb. Underwriters knocked it on the head with 3 of 4. Each with different reasons.

Yes I'm fully aware AIP is only a guide tool. I was just wondering if anyone had really good / bad experiences waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

AIP was given almost instantly. Credit approval took about a week after we submitted all our details (maybe 4 days). That was with a bank we used for day to day banking so tends to be quicker as they had all our bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hmmm... I see varying definitions of AIP. I consider AIP to be the decision you get back after the underwriters look over your application, not the mortgage advisor.

We submitted all our documents to PTSB and had a decision from the underwriters back in about 3-4 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Yes I'm fully aware AIP is only a guide tool. I was just wondering if anyone had really good / bad experiences waiting

Well good, AIP given at first sit down within 30mins.

bad... forms went to underwriting where they sat on someone's desk for 5 weeks "lost". was then told it would be another 4 weeks to process as the queue was busy and I ended up closing accounts with that bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jake2

I think what you are waiting for is letter of offer or something similar. This normally takes roughly 10 days depending on bank really this goes through the underwriters. Who have you applied to? If you have submitted all your documents this is more than approval in principle this is an offer which allows you to go ahead with your house hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

mloc123 wrote: »

We submitted all our documents to PTSB and had a decision from the underwriters back in about 3-4 days

Got ours yesterday. Submitted last Thursday. Bank manager told us to 'go Shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

liger wrote: »

What reasons would they give.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CS2811

We submitted all our documents so we are hoping for an offer. We're hoping to hear back next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Anyone familiar with ptsb. Sent off my stuff through the bank. 2 weeks later he rang me and said everything was hunky sorry. Few terms regarding existing loans and that.

It's just when I read his email it said approval in principle. Does this term mean different things in different banks

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

adam88 wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with ptsb. Sent off my stuff through the bank. 2 weeks later he rang me and said everything was hunky sorry. Few terms regarding existing loans and that.

It's just when I read his email it said approval in principle. Does this term mean different things in different banks

Yes it seems that way, we are currently doing a negative equity trade down mortgage with TSB and i was told over the phone we had approval in principal but to wait for underwriters to finalise our application, we are still waiting 3 weeks later...

Advertisement