Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

• 28-09-2017 9:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I suspect not many Steelers fans here, but may as well have a thread

Current Roster

QB: Roethlisberger, Jones, Dobbs
    WR: Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Smith-Schuster, Heyward-Bey, Hunter
    RB: Bell, Conner, Nix, Watson
    TE: James, Grimble, McDonald
    OL: Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, DeCastro, Villanueva,
    Hubbard, Finney, Hawkins, Feiler

DL: Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Walton, Alualu, McCullers
    LB: Shazier, Harrison, Watt, Moats, Dupree, Chickillo, Williams, Fort, Matakevich
    DB: Burns, Haden, Gay, Davis, Mitchell, Golden, Allen, Hilton, Sensabaugh
    ST: Boswell, Berry, Canaday

Schedule, six of the first eight away, a few primetime games later on:

@Browns - W 21-18
    vs. Vikings - W 26-9
    @Bears - L 23-17 (OT)
    @Ravens
    vs Jaguars
    @Chiefs
    vs Bengals
    @Lions
    BYE
    @Colts
    vs Titans
    vs. Packers
    @Bengals
    vs. Ravens
    vs. Patriots
    @Texans
    vs.Browns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Garco

After the BYE is some schedule.. handy game, 6 whoppers, handy game!

What you think of Ben so far? Seemed to be getting his groove back against Ravens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The one thing going for that run of games is that they're mostly in Pittsburgh in late November or December. Five of the six are pencilled in for TNF, SNF or MNF.

Ben has been ok so far. He's not getting over 300 yards for a while now, not connecting deep shots to Brown or Bryant often and he said last week he should reign himself in and keep it simple. Seems to have worked with the run much better against the Ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm a Steelers fan going back to the channel 4 days of NFL coverage, but can only be described as a casual fan. Know the bare basics and enjoy watching most weeks, when the game isn't on at stupid o'clock, but the finer points are lost on me.

Chiefs in a couple of weeks will be a big test.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Making hard work of this.

Three interceptions, three TDs for the Jaguars..

• Advertisement

Isn't happening for the Steelers at all today. Jaguars actually look a team this year.

depends what you want to make of that one. Bortles had just 10 completed passes and you lose 30-9. Day to forget or day to be miserable...Roethlisberger will face a lot of heat during the week.

Same bad start as Chicago, go 7-0 down on a turnover early and then never catch up.

Bens comments after game suggest hes done

Garco wrote: »
    Bens comments after game suggest hes done

Very honest assessment, some of it sounded like the fire had gone a bit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000858648/article/big-ben-after-5-ints-maybe-i-dont-have-it-anymore

Yea just seems like the fire is missing.. best thing to do now is tank the season for a QB like the Giants... oh wait was it not the Jets???

• Advertisement

but then again what was he supposed to say. It was 9-7 Steelers midway through the 3rd quarter heading towards 4-1 and comfortably top of the division and now suddenly people are for tanking the season and firing everyone and anyone...

I think this might be his last year if the stuttering offense continues, but that's as far as it goes.

I don't think I'd be throwing the baby out with the bath water either and writing off the season. They are still in reasonable shape in their division.

The post match discussing priorities outside of sport, openly questioning his own ability, is more than the usual "I was crap, we were crap" kind of interview you get after a poor result though, I know as a good leader like he is, he'll take all the brickbats aimed at the team but that still felt different.

Hopefully though the great that he is, one dire game won't be in his system long, and maybe the players around him might pull their fingers out too, and coaches look at their calls.

Not a particularly easy game to come now mind, putting it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Chiefs fan coming in peace, don't forget that last season you got murdered by the eagles (34-3 or something) then the following week beat the all mighty s**te out of us.
    Could be an excellent game upcoming if you guys bounce back :)

Bouncebackability

Just about! Nervous finish after being absolutely dominant...

https://twitter.com/TheFBBible/status/919702335919505408

Watched this so many times now and still not sure how the ball got through to him, and that he caught it.

Steelers go to 6 - 2, tough win last night reading the reports.

Yea was hard watching at times.. Juju was brilliant.. Defence wasnt great against the pass but made big stops in redzone

Big test and big win. Great redzone defense, stopping the run well, but leaving receivers wide open for big gains. Artie Burns particularly doing that. He did that against the Chiefs too.

Offense was alright, Bell got nothing and Brown was covered most of the game, so it's a win for Juju and the redzone defense.

It's good that Juju stepped up. All last season, there was a question of which WR was going to help out Brown and step up. Bryant certainly hasn't. With Bell quiet, they needed someone else to show up. 193 yards for him and the final play of the game too.

20-17 :eek::eek:

Huge late interception turned it around, but again on the road troubles.

Blocked FG, Brown was awful, injuries, missed FG, Ben INT and awful, wide open gaps in the defense.

• Advertisement

It's about as unconvincing as a team who are 7 - 2 can look. Still, makes for great viewing if you don't mind the tension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Short week this week.

Our LB's and secondary are going to have their hands full with Juju thats for sure, on to thursday!

a lot of the passing-by focus on the Titans seems to be on Mariota, what's the defense like, heli? The co-ordinator was at the Steelers for years so he should know Ben..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

dfx- wrote: »
    a lot of the passing-by focus on the Titans seems to be on Mariota, what's the defense like, heli? The co-ordinator was at the Steelers for years so he should know Ben..

Defense has really come into itself the last couple of weeks, Our secondary is basically new, with Logan, Cyprien( who was injured up until the bye week), Jackson and then 2nd year Byard have become a very good pass defense unit.

The linebackers but specifically Woodyard are playing very well, he's around the field, getting sacks, and tackles for loss and breaking up passes while OLB's Morgan and Orakpo havent been lights out but have been consistent. Our sack numbers arent great but the QB pressures/hits are better than last year.

But they will have their hands full with Smith/Brown and even Bell if he gets to the 2nd level.

I'll get up and watch the gamepass 40 min version Friday..

Marcus Gilbert suspended for four games for failing a PED test

Think the Steelers have forgotten to come out this half against the Ravens. Woeful.

Well what a game that was, Steelers aren't keen on making it easy for themselves this year. Still, a wins a win. AFC North Champs confirmed.

Couldn't quite celebrate the winning kick until the end as the Ravens still had a chance to get their kicker into FG range, which is about 70 yards.

That defense against the Patriots:eek:

But on the other hand, that's 39 points on a very good Ravens defense. They should be able to get points next week with Smith Schuster back, but can they keep up with the Patriots scoring on every drive...

Also, on the Roethlisberger finished thing..

No interceptions, 506 yards and 4 touchdowns. He does still have it...

• Advertisement

Steelers also have the ultimate in reliable kicker, don't think there's a more solid kicker in the NFL. Huge in tight games.

Advertisement