Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't know - I think it was a game of two halves. Ben didn't do a whole lot wrong - a tipped INT and INT in the end zone off the end of a great drive by him and Juju. A FG there wouldn't have made much difference as the Titans still had a drive and nearly made it anyway.

I wouldn't say the Steelers let them back in it either - Titans stepped up in defence and Steelers nearly put up a great goalline stand before the penalty on Minkah. Tannehill should never have got out of that game without an INT.

I just think two good teams and the Steelers edged it, Boswell didn't miss - Gostkowski did....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't know - I think it was a game of two halves. Ben didn't do a whole lot wrong - a tipped INT and INT in the end zone off the end of a great drive by him and Juju. A FG there wouldn't have made much difference as the Titans still had a drive and nearly made it anyway.

I wouldn't say the Steelers let them back in it either - Titans stepped up in defence and Steelers nearly put up a great goalline stand before the penalty on Minkah. Tannehill should never have got out of that game without an INT.

I just think two good teams and the Steelers edged it, Boswell didn't miss - Gostkowski did....

Maybe I was being harsh. Not often you lose the turnover battle by 3 and still win. It’s just the nature of the collapse on both sides of the ball in the second half is a worry. That said, their offence is as explosive as it gets with Henry and Brown so they were always going to make some plays.

On to Baltimore next weekend for a huge division battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Did Spillane come back onto the field after the big stop on Henry. He'd be a huge loss especially for next week.

Did Spillane come back onto the field after the big stop on Henry. He'd be a huge loss especially for next week.

Yeah he was on at the end. I’d say he will be fine.

Diontae apparently ok too

The play that bugged me was the 73 yd TD run. The good start of the 2nd half was spoiled. There's been too many of those big plays - Jackson will exploit that.

That play was on Minkah, he should have brought him down. Definitely some issues in the secondary but Brown is one of the best in the business and will do that to you sometimes.

Gameplan vs Baltimore is shut down the run, make Lamar throw and hope it’s your day. Big ask after that slog today and with Baltimore coming off a bye week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good win lads assumed it was lights out at half time tbh

Good win lads assumed it was lights out at half time tbh

Cheers helimachopter. Good game, could have gone either way. Both teams playoff bound I hope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers helimachopter. Good game, could have gone either way. Both teams playoff bound I hope.

Yep would expect so, be good to get a rematch

• Advertisement

Ravens week!!

Unfortunately I think the Steelers get brought back down to earth here. It’s in Baltimore and the Ravens are coming off a bye, their defence is really good and I can see Ben throwing at least one INT.

Only way the Steelers win is if that front seven completely dominate and get to LJ repeatedly. I think the Ravens will edge it though, possibly by up to 10, setting up an absolutely epic thanksgiving showdown at Heinz Field. Hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ravens week!!

Unfortunately I think the Steelers get brought back down to earth here. It’s in Baltimore and the Ravens are coming off a bye, their defence is really good and I can see Ben throwing at least one INT.

Only way the Steelers win is if that front seven completely dominate and get to LJ repeatedly. I think the Ravens will edge it though, possibly by up to 10, setting up an absolutely epic thanksgiving showdown at Heinz Field. Hope I am wrong.

Both defenses are seriously good, Ravens have the better secondary though. If the Steelers shut Lamar down run wise he’ll go to the air and exploit our CB’s. Important Ben doesn’t throw INT’s like you say, a performance the whole way through like he did in last weeks 1st half might see us shade it. A loss isn’t significant at this stage but it would be great to remain undefeated.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Both defenses are seriously good, Ravens have the better secondary though. If the Steelers shut Lamar down run wise he’ll go to the air and exploit our CB’s. Important Ben doesn’t throw INT’s like you say, a performance the whole way through like he did in last weeks 1st half might see us shade it. A loss isn’t significant at this stage but it would be great to remain undefeated.

I think this is the game where the loss of Devin Bush might be really felt, he was defending the middle well before he went down and he is the guy you want against a mobile QB as well. Gilbert is out too and Hilton is doubtful so containing LJ might not be easy.

They can afford to lose this one but if they do they absolutely need to beat the Ravens on thanksgiving if they want to win the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Jackson's passing is good but mainly when the Ravens run game is effective. The Steelers have a brilliant run defence but this is the first time the Steelers will have had to face such a mobile QB as well as the run game.
    Bush is a huge loss but I think the Steelers may look to contain rather than chase the sack and force Jackson to stay in the pocket and pass. Against the Titans the Steelers front 4 were excellent at getting beyond the line and tackling Henry. I think they may try a variation on that to try contain Jackson.

On terms of the division, this would be a huge win. 7-0 vs 5-2 takes huge pressure off even the return game. 6-1 vs 6-1 with them having the tie makes it tough.

Given the remaining schedule a win tomorrow would virtually seal the division and put the Steelers in a great spot for a very good seeding. That said, I think we would all have accepted splitting the series with the Ravens before the season. I’d still be thrilled with that.

Getting swept 0-2 would be a huge disappointment but I don’t think that’ll happen.

• Advertisement

Keeping it close is also important if it is a loss. I'd have a fear of an early deficit and Ben starts to go chasing it, passing it dangerously and deep.

Good Irishman to get us going!!!

Idiotic penalty after a great start

Those 7 points on Heyward!!

Those 7 points on Heyward!!

It was a soft penalty but there was no need to do it all the same. FFS

• Advertisement

S**t

Offense isn’t exactly inspiring so far.

Offense isn’t exactly inspiring so far.

Can’t move the ball, hopefully they improve as the game goes on.

Absolutely horrible punt there from Berry, this is exactly what I was talking about when they re-signed him

Can’t move the ball, hopefully they improve as the game goes on.

Absolutely horrible pint there from Berry, this is exactly what I was talking about when they re-signed him

Yeah 34 yards is pi$$ poor.

Defense keeping us in it at the moment, bad injury to Stanley by looks of it.

Time on the field for the defense is a lot so far, that's got to change

Ravens are in virtually complete control on both sides of the ball, early down run D has fallen apart without Alualu.

Ben has to get something going on this next drive.

Not happening this evening I don’t think, Ben getting his bad elbow checked also.

Keeping that to 10 points with the way the Ravens dominated that half is a bonus.

17-7 flatters the Steelers in terms of points differential, tbh. Four completed passes in a half.

In fairness the defense have shown up early on but they are being grinded by time of possession because of the offense. How important could that Heyward penalty be. 7-0 and 3 and out is a different game.

• Advertisement

Nothing going right, very lucky to be only down 10. Hopefully they get something going after the halftime but I’m not optimistic.

Too many guys missing on D with Bush, Alualu and Hilton all out with various injuries. Ravens are having a field day on the ground and our D can’t get off the field

C’mon!!!

Much much better in this half

Much much better in this half

Have the momentum at the minute, hold onto it now.

About f***ing time they called a hold on that Baltimore line

About f***ing time they called a hold on that Baltimore line

Give it up though on next play with busted coverage, big call here with Ravens challenge

Give it up though on next play with busted coverage, big call here with Ravens challenge

Two huge defensive lapses in the middle there to let them in. Huge series coming up here now

Great drive by Ben, penalties helped, but he moved the ball very well.

7-0 not playing anywhere near what they are capable of. Cam looked badly injured though!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah not good if Cam picked up something serious. He is the captain and leader of that defence.

That is a stunning win. Baltimore were coming off a bye and were at home. Every game seems to be one where we are scratching and clawing but somehow pull it out. On to Dallas next week.

I don't think anyone saw that second half coming, Ebron is really making a huge difference and some great efforts from Juju.

5 INTs, 4 fumbles and 9 sacks for Jackson against Pittsburgh now..

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/dulac-cam-heywards-injury-is-not-serious/

Hopefully that’s the case with Cam, other reporters saying it was cramp. Traded for Avery Williamson from Jets overnight to.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/dulac-cam-heywards-injury-is-not-serious/

Hopefully that’s the case with Cam, other reporters saying it was cramp. Traded for Avery Williamson from Jets overnight to.

Gilbert could be out for a while so they are adding depth, looks like a good deal. Imagine going from the worst team in the league at 0-8 to an unbeaten one overnight!

I’ll take Sam Darnold off them as well after they pick Trevor Lawrence next April! I think he could still be good if he lands in the right spot.

Ravens' Humphrey announced he has coronavirus, Steelers tests are negative so far, but there is a lag time.

Hopefully it’ll be ok. Gilmore tested positive after the Pats played the Chiefs a while back and I don’t think it caused any cases in the Chiefs locker room, you’ve a better chance of avoiding catching it in an outdoor setting. They might get lucky.

BTW I saw on Twitter that Humphries was on the injury report throughout last week with an illness. I’m wondering if the Ravens took a chance and should he have played at all!

• Advertisement

Buggs has picked up an injury going by the injury report but Heyward looks ok.

I have this bad vision of the 0-2/3 Bears game in 2017 beaten by Glennon that the Steelers equally just couldn't lose.....

So they have no NT at all in that case? Big Dan is gone, Alualu, Wormley and Buggs all injured, unless they put Mondeux there? Depth is being seriously tested on defence as we alluded to during the game last week. In all the talk of the Ravens running all over us it should be acknowledged how decimated that run D was after Alualu went down.

They will probably just go with more four man fronts and stay in nickel on Sunday, especially if Hilton is back.

Third successive game on the road after two gruelling games with the Ravens and Titans. Keeping the focus here is key, a couple of slip ups will let the Ravens back in.

They face the mighty Glennon again in a few week @Jax

Hopefully wake up to another victory in the morning, the Steelers have struggled against poor teams like the Cowboys in years gone past though.

Not the best start here.

Poor stuff from the offence so far with some very strange play calls, like a 40 yard bomb on 3rd and 4 on that last drive. Ben is completely out of sorts

Dallas moving the ball easily. Getting kinda worried here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement