Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

+ delighted for Haden to make the INT to close the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They were 7-4-1 or thereabouts last year, so 7-5 is remarkable without Ben, Juju, Pouncey, AB, Conner, Tuitt, Jesse James and neither of your two back up QBs and with practice squad RBs and WRs.

Six wins from the last seven. Still think wildcard is fanciful, but to get to even a .500 season from where they were is a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

OOnegative wrote: »
    5 sacks for the D, 111 yards receiving for Washington off 4 targets and 63 yards rushing for Snell. Delighted they won, could use so much more disparaging remarks relating to the Browns but I won’t. Mayfield is a wanker......

I think we may have a star emerging in Washington. I’ve been hugely impressed with him lately. Johnson is also going to be good I think.
    Hargrave was a monster once again on defence, really hope they find a way to keep him.

Defense is showing up, TJ with 11.5 sacks, Bud with 7 and Hayward with 6.5. Minkah has 5 INT’s in the season(not all with us). Haden made a big play to close the game out. Once Ben went down, this season was all about respectability, think we’re getting there.

The bills game in two weeks has been flexed to SNF meaning I for one won’t be able to watch it. Hate night games

Steelers defence over the season, saw this today:

1st in takeaways
    3rd in sacks
    5th in qb rating
    5th in rushing average
    5th in ypg
    6th in ppg

Apparently if you take the games from when they signed Minkah onwards they have the #2 defence in football. If they had any bit of offence at all they’d be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bit of everything today. Royally fupped up a fake punt.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Bit of everything today. Royally fupped up a fake punt.

Crazy call, absolutely no need to try that in that situation. Hopefully they can keep them out now on this last drive

Another W but a sloppy one. Made it much harder than it had to be. Props to Haden and Johnson who won the game. Duck made some throws and did enough.

Can’t see them beating the bills next week but if they beat NYJ the week after there is a good chance of that final WC spot. That would be some feat after all that has transpired this season. Titans looking good to get in before them though.

Arizona really tested the defense playing quickly and they were struggling at times to keep up. Again it was all on them to win it.

The offense was up against the 31st ranked defense as a unit and it didn't show. A fumble at 10-0, a fake punt at 20-10, really alarming indisciplined stuff.

But Tomlin guaranteed at least 8-8. Remarkable stuff, seven wins in eight and most other results went for the Steelers, Bills losing, Colts losing, Texans losing, Raiders losing (Titans winning not great).

• Advertisement

That was a good hit on Snell for the fumble, can’t really blame him for that in fairness

The fake punt I can’t fathom, did Berry go rogue? I just cannot see Tomlin calling that

LOL, thank god they overcame that f*** up

https://twitter.com/bepryor/status/1203833371899523072

I thought looking at it live that Berry had fumbled the catch or mishandled it and just bailed out on it as they got too close to him - like a botched FG.

But even if it was called off - why think of it in the first place? The defense is excelling, Berry has been excellent all season and he was in this game. Even if you get everything you see, just punt it and play the percentages...

They keep Rudolph and to a lesser extent Hodges away from any risk, then they almost throw it away with a fake punt?

Only thing I can think of is that they wanted to give the defence a breather, they were struggling with the no huddle Arizona offence as you already pointed out. At least they overcame it and got the win but against a better opponent it would have been suicidal.

Hadn’t seen Murray for a full game until last night. I know he threw two bad picks but he is going to be outstanding when he puts it all together imo.

Haden's first INT was superb, the TJ Watt INT was an awful one for him - he had the TD and certainly the 1st down if he ran it. The last one was a throw away...

Edmunds was poor for the 2nd TD, but he has been poor in general for a 1st rounder.

It is all the way back to the Carolina game last year since the Steelers did not turnover the ball.

Edmunds and Barron are a liability in coverage. Edmunds might be more suited to the middle LB role if they get rid of Williams for cap reasons. Terrell is a good tackler and is tough as nails. I wouldn’t give up on him yet.

Haden and Johnson were spectacular last night. James Washington is also stepping up in recent weeks and Juju will hopefully be ok after a few weeks off. They are putting together a nice WR corp for next season if Ben comes back and can still throw a football.

I’m not bothered about whether they make the playoffs because they don’t have the tools to do anything but go one and done this year. They have a nice base for next year though if they can keep the defence together and get a RB1 in the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

Hi,

Late to the party here.

Big game tonight.

Any Steelers bars in Dublin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

shanev13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Late to the party here.

Big game tonight.

Any Steelers bars in Dublin??

No.

Woolshed on Parnell Street is your best option for NFL though if you're looking to meet others.

Though, no idea.if it would.be open this late for ya.

Didn't see the game but looks like it was tighter than I expected, still the same result though, how'd they play?

• Advertisement

Didn't see the game but looks like it was tighter than I expected, still the same result though, how'd they play?

Fell asleep during the first half and at that point they had gifted the Bills a TD with an astonishing 20 yard punt from deep in their own half. Listened to one of the Steeler podcasts on the way to work and it sounds like Duck had a bit of a disaster with four turnovers. Bills are a legit defence and I think that performance was coming from Duck. This is probably a glimpse of what is to come if they do make the playoffs. The offence is just so limited at the moment, especially without Juju

Woke up just as Bills made it 17-10. Last two minutes was awful - game management, clock management and interceptions everywhere. No clarity of thought - like the end of that Patriots game in 2017. Defense kept them below 18 points and gave them one final chance so you can't complain there.

Other results went in favour of the Steelers, Browns out of it, Raiders out of it, Titans lost at home.

But this offense could struggle anywhere..

Just watched the condensed game there, what a mess on offence. Pouncey has forgotten how to snap a ball and Hodges was as bad last night as Rudolph was vs the Browns. Then again, he had to throw it nearly forty times so no wonder he had four picks. Mistake after mistake cost them dear, Bills were quite beatable if the Steelers had even an average QB. Berry hurt them too with some terrible punts, made a huge mistake last week too so I’d imagine his Steelers career is coming to an end.

Defence was good I thought with the notable exception of Edmunds losing his man on that winning TD, WTF was he doing just stopping like that.

Btw did you guys spot Ben on the sideline? He is massive and would really want to get a handle on it if he is serious about coming back for another run. He is being paid a fortune, surely it is not a big ask to stay in reasonable physical shape!

As HB has pointed out, if we do make the playoffs we’ll be one & done, as good as the defense currently are our offense is totally inept. Looking at the bigger picture if Jackson keeps playing the way he is in Baltimore we could be playing second fiddle in the AFC North for a while what with Ben the way he is.

But then again QB’s like Jackson are one rush away from fcukin their career up!! There’s a great defense forming in Pittsburgh but will we have an offense of any kind to help it out. Time will tell I suppose.

As HB has pointed out, if we do make the playoffs we’ll be one & done, as good as the defense currently are our offense is totally inept. Looking at the bigger picture if Jackson keeps playing the way he is in Baltimore we could be playing second fiddle in the AFC North for a while what with Ben the way he is.

But then again QB’s like Jackson are one rush away from fcukin their career up!! There’s a great defense forming in Pittsburgh but will we have an offense of any kind to help it out. Time will tell I suppose.

I’d give them an outside shot of beating the Texans given they are so inconsistent but looking at the standings if the Steelers make it they are headed to Arrowhead or Gillette stadium in the WC round. They cannot beat the Chiefs, just not happening, and while I don’t think the Pats are at the level of previous years I can’t see the Steelers rolling in with Duck or Rudolph and winning there, they won’t get blown out like they did in week 1 though.

It would be a good learning experience for the young players to make it but I’m not too concerned whether they do or don’t. The season so far has been a pleasant surprise either way.

I’d give them an outside shot of beating the Texans given they are so inconsistent but looking at the standings if the Steelers make it they are headed to Arrowhead or Gillette stadium in the WC round. They cannot beat the Chiefs, just not happening, and while I don’t think the Pats are at the level of previous years I can’t see the Steelers rolling in with Duck or Rudolph and winning there, they won’t get blown out like they did in week 1 though.

It would be a good learning experience for the young players to make it but I’m not too concerned whether they do or don’t. The season so far has been a pleasant surprise either way.

Not happening in Kansas is right, the Pats are a different animal in the playoffs though. 100% agree the season has been a pleasant surprise, serious gains made on defense, Watt first Steeler ever to have 13 sacks in consecutive seasons. Johnson and Washington have shown up as legitimate threats offensively. Get No 7 back functioning well and next year looks promising.

And you’re right, he’s put on serious conditioning since his injury!!!

• Advertisement

Brutal loss, a comedy of errors and one of the worst offensive displays I have seen. In fairness to Rudolph he managed the game very well when he was in and looked like the Mason we saw before that concussion, but as soon as he left with that injury I knew it was game over, Duck does not have an NFL arm and his confidence is gone now on top of that.

Odds look stacked against them making the WC now.

Brutal loss, a comedy of errors and one of the worst offensive displays I have seen. In fairness to Rudolph he managed the game very well when he was in and looked like the Mason we saw before that concussion, but as soon as he left with that injury I knew it was game over, Duck does not have an NFL arm and his confidence is gone now on top of that.

Odds look stacked against them making the WC now.

Offense is a **** show regardless if it’s Mason or Duck running the show, completely inept this evening!! Defense again kept things respectable.

Hines Ward smiling and celebrating the win on the Jets sideline pi$$ed me off big time. As a so called Steelers legend the man should show a bit more respect and humility to the organisation that he represented so well.

Offense is a **** show regardless if it’s Mason or Duck running the show, completely inept this evening!! Defense again kept things respectable.

Hines Ward smiling and celebrating the win on the Jets sideline pi$$ed me off big time. As a so called Steelers legend the man should show a bit more respect and humility to the organisation that he represented so well.

I thought Rudolph was quite good actually, he was moving the ball nicely and if he had stayed in the game they may have seen it out. Duck had a swagger when he came in to the team but he looks scared out there now.

Just to illustrate the incompetence they were in FG range on two separate occasions and came away with nothing due to negative plays, that’s your six points, infuriating!

Ward had been calling on his players to step up this week and said he’d happily take a Gatorade shower if they won. His job is to help the Jets win games, let him at it. I hope he comes to the Steelers some day, they only have a temporary replacement for Drake after he passed away so maybe he could be the next WR coach, would be a nice story.

Ward had been calling on his players to step up this week and said he’d happily take a Gatorade shower if they won. His job is to help the Jets win games, let him at it. I hope he comes to the Steelers some day, they only have a temporary replacement for Drake after he passed away so maybe he could be the next WR coach, would be a nice story.

I’d agree with you most things, but to put it in another context, it would be like Roy Keane sneering and rubbing Man United’s face in it. Ward is one of my favourite Steelers players ever as he bled black and gold when he played. Zero need for his antics this evening or during the week.

We possibly could be entering the Paxton Lynch era of QBing the Steelers.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

We possibly could be entering the Paxton Lynch era of QBing the Steelers.......

I really want to see him play for us. He's a former 1st round pick, you never know.

Lynch was an epic bust and if he was showing anything in practice he’d be dressed for games. He is plan C at best IMO. That said, I don’t want another game with Duck under center. He is a college QB and nothing more

Edit: Rudolph gone to IR so presumably they’ll go with Hodges next week and Lynch as the backup. Lol, depressing is not the word

Would you have Landry Jones in now?

I feel the QB situation is hiding the lack of production/investment in the offense. Ben's recent deal and Brown's deal aside. I think it takes more than Ben returning to get them going. There's not much draft capital and big deals for Dupree and maybe Hargrave coming.

dfx- wrote: »

I feel the QB situation is hiding the lack of production/investment in the offense. Ben's recent deal and Brown's deal aside. I think it takes more than Ben returning to get them going. There's not much draft capital and big deals for Dupree and maybe Hargrave coming.

Jones is no longer in the league and I believe he’s a much better backup QB than a lot that’s floating around the league!! Your right on Ben, he ain’t going to play to 42 like Brady, another year or two max, and we ain’t going to pick up his heir apparent in the draft between then. My opinion on Dupree, let him go, he’s on a career year, history in my experience says pay them and they are a bust.

Yeah when was the last time they invested a first rounder on offence? 2012 I think. I think that Ben will be back and they may get one more season from him, maybe two. After that who knows. I still have some hope for Rudolph, with a bit more time and good coaching he may be a serviceable starter. He was in an impossible situation this year with a young WR corp, no running game and a declining OLine.

Possible the biggest issue on the team is the OLine, the only one still playing well is DeCastro. Villanueva and Foster are getting blown up week after week and Pouncey has been woeful in 2019 as well. Ben will get killed if they go in to 2020 with that same group. They need to strengthen that area and establish a strong running game as a priority in the off season. I actually think the receivers are fine.

Aside from the QB situation, they were literally picking players off the street and at short notice to fill offense depth and starting them this year, Cain, Tevin Jones, Vanette, Brooks-James, Whyte, Darboh..

How long has Grimble been allowed to hang around at TE...

Yes the injury crisis on offence was almost comical at times, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. Hopefully they will be back to playing with a full deck in 2020 and maybe pick up a few impact players in the draft. Their big issues are all on offence where you have a better chance of getting good players in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

Bengals potential 1st round pick Joe Burrow playing the lights out currently in the CFP Semifinal!!

Mercilus gets a deal of 13.5m a year from the Texans maybe setting a tone for OLB deals...

Any recommendations for a Steelers podcast, please?

• Advertisement

I listen to Steelers Depot. They are not biased and it often has a beat writer from the opposition before the game.

It can be up to two hours long and sometimes swerves into way too much statistics and film analysis as they chart everything and offseason I only dip in and out...

I listen to Steelers Depot. They are not biased and it often has a beat writer from the opposition before the game.

It can be up to two hours long and sometimes swerves into way too much statistics and film analysis as they chart everything and offseason I only dip in and out...

Ya it's best out there even if yer man's voice is irritating

Mercilus gets a deal of 13.5m a year from the Texans maybe setting a tone for OLB deals...

TJ Watt will be looking for a lot more but you could live with that for Bud, they probably can’t pay both long term though. Bud has already said he will not hold out if tagged so maybe that is what they will do for one season.

On the podcast I tried them all out, Steelers depot is definitely the best but it’s too long for me. I usually listen to Locked On Steelers (30 mins 3-4 times a week) and the post game episodes of Behind the Steel Curtain. They are usually no longer than an hour.

The Locked On network do a decent general NFL news podcast as well, one of the hosts is a Pittsburgh guy so they talk a lot of Steelers on it as well.

That fumble was a disaster.

Tucker just made it 19-10 they think they won already. Time to make some plays and spoil the party

Delighted to see the cheatriots fall to seed 3

Houston down by 14 and in the 4th not looking good for us now

Houston down by 14 and in the 4th not looking good for us now

It’s gone barring a miracle. This version of the Steelers is not a playoff team, Duck is just nowhere near good enough and the Titans deserve their shot in Foxboro next weekend. On to 2020

Edit: just as I posted that Berry sealed the win for the Ravens. 14 points gifted to the Ravens through ineptitude.

It’s gone barring a miracle. This version of the Steelers is not a playoff team, Duck is just nowhere near good enough and the Titans deserve their shot in Foxboro next weekend. On to 2020

Edit: just as I posted that Berry sealed the win for the Ravens. 14 points gifted to the Ravens through ineptitude.

I'd rather see us get a little more currency in the draft next year than a post season blow out. We're going into next draft with a lot of gaping holes and very few picks. We could be in a top 5 pick situation next year and it might be for the best and find Bens replacement.

• Advertisement

I chose the wrong year to join this forum.

But with that Defence, there is hope for 2020.

Titans will go to New England with confidence, so could be interesting.

Advertisement