Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17 - New motorway

Options
  • 28-09-2017 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I tried the new M17 this morning from Tuam to Galway but ended up lat to work due to the traffic jam in Galway.

Is it a morning thing like Claregalway or is it the standard traffic coming into Galway from that side? It's a longer drive though but a higher limit and the ability to overtake slow drivers is nice.

How about others - taking the M17 or sticking with the N17?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

Sham_Lad wrote: »
    I tried the new M17 this morning from Tuam to Galway but ended up lat to work due to the traffic jam in Galway.

Is it a morning thing like Claregalway or is it the standard traffic coming into Galway from that side? It's a longer drive though but a higher limit and the ability to overtake slow drivers is nice.

How about others - taking the M17 or sticking with the N17?

Heavy traffic coming in there will be a permanent fixture I believe, unless there's an unlikely earth-shaking change in commuter facilities from Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's only open since Wednesday so it's impossible to see a pattern yet because one morning you might check the old route, try the new route, likewise heading back. Give it a couple of weeks to settle down and check again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Oranmore bypass is chocker every morning since M17 opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

There should be public park and ride facilities along the N17 and Headford Road. That are priced in a way to encourage people to use them.

Think about it. All these cars are coming from the same place and going to the same place. It's madness.

How there isn't a decent public service serving the routes is ridiculous. Still stuck in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Sham_Lad wrote: »

Drove twice Tuam to Galway via motorway both ways. Longer distance to travel. No time or fuel saving for me. New stretch of M17 absolutely useless for commuting to Galway.

Only benefit is when you travel to Ennis and further south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

'Magic wrote:
    =);105026391']Drove twice Tuam to Galway via motorway both ways. Longer distance to travel. No time or fuel saving for me. New stretch of M17 absolutely useless for commuting to Galway.

Only benefit is when you travel to Ennis and further south.

To be fair, it was never being designed/built to alleviate Galway's traffic problems - that's a whole other animal that the governing bodies seem to care little about, some of them make a bit of noise about it but nothing is being done.....

tobdom wrote: »
    To be fair, it was never being designed/built to alleviate Galway's traffic problems - that's a whole other animal that the governing bodies seem to care little about, some of them make a bit of noise about it but nothing is being done.....

I realized that once I saw the plan for M17 is to go outside Athenry not Oranmore. If it was built closer to Galway that would make huge difference.

I don't understand either how can someone call this extension to Wild Atlantic Way when it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

'Magic wrote:
    =);105036397']I don't understand either how can someone call this extension to Wild Atlantic Way when it's not.

"Atlantic Corridor", not "Wild Atlantic Way"

The eventual plan is motorway servicing Cork-Limerick-Ennis-Tuam-Sligo

"Atlantic Corridor", not "Wild Atlantic Way"

The eventual plan is motorway servicing Cork-Limerick-Ennis-Tuam-Sligo

I meant what I wrote

http://clareherald.com/2017/09/new-m17-to-give-investors-alternative-to-dublin-17185/
    Minister Breen said:
    “The extended motorway will open up the Wild Atlantic Way to Transatlantic traffic, giving international tourists twice the reason to chose Shannon Airport,” he added.

If you google you'll find three more articles calling it part Wild Atlantic Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

"Magic wrote:
    =);105038480"]I meant what I wrote

http://clareherald.com/2017/09/new-m17-to-give-investors-alternative-to-dublin-17185/
    Minister Breen said:
    “The extended motorway will open up the Wild Atlantic Way to Transatlantic traffic, giving international tourists twice the reason to chose Shannon Airport,” he added.

If you google you'll find three more articles calling it part Wild Atlantic Way.

Not everything in the media is correct. What he said was it would open up the WAW. Look at a map of the WAW and its not on it, however it could potentially make skipping sections of it easier, for example, if tourists were short on time, thus opening it up to more tourists. Its a very loose quote from the minister to be fair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement