Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designer landscaper quotations

Options
  • 29-09-2017 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi, we have inherited an old dericict building which we plan to renovate in 3 years once we saved up a deposit. It is on about 1 acre with overgrown gardens and old walls/buildings etc.
    It needs a complete overhaul. My question is how do landscape gardeners charge for plans or quotation's.
    I love landscape gardens, I have spent hours on Pinterest with envy.
    As it'd such a big job I would like a few quotations and ideas, do gardeners charge for quotation's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gardens take maintenance, so I wouldn't do any serious gardening until you're close to moving in. You don't want to spend three years mowing, pruning and weeding if you can't enjoy it.

On the other hand, the best time to plant trees is 25 years ago, so you might plant a few cheap young ones around the place, preferably away from the boundaries (maybe 3m). This is cheap to do, and if you need to take them out in a couple if years time you won't have lost anything. A few shrubs too, maybe.

Also, renovation work on the buildings and boundaries will probably destroy some of the garden work you do now if it's close to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They typically calculate the capital costs in consultation with the client. With this sort of work it's vital there is a detailed plan of action with each phase costed as much as possible before hand so you don't get a massive shock and so the contractor isn't put under pressure to do it on the cheap/cut corners if it looks like the money will run out.

Obviously they have their labour rate, I doubt there is much flexibility in that regard even for a long term job.

The consultation should be budgeted for as suggested above it might take a while to nail down all the detail if it's a multi layered job. Though you could just work on phase one in detail with a more general plan of action for what follows assuming all goes well. They will seek a down payment to get started - and to prove your commitment to the task!

Advertisement