Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo virgin ?

• 29-09-2017 8:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting my first tattoo and have no idea of where to start.

I have a fair idea as to what I want but what is the normal process.

How do I decide on an artist?
    What is the design process?
    Do you pay for the initial design or is it more like having a chat to a few artists and let them come up with a design and pick the one that like?
    What is the ball park cost of this tattoo.

What I think I am looking for is a monotone tattoo that would cover from top of shoulder to about half way down the upper arm on the outside only.

It will have about 50% text - not a script font but more like a typeface and the other part would be a graphic of some description.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

How do I decide on an artist?

Go online and look up tattooists in your area or in areas that you are willing to travel to. Do you want someone local or would you go to a different country if you had to? If you have tattooed friends look at their tattoos and if you like them all where they got them. Ask on here for recommendations and links to portfolios. I would strongly advise researching your considered artists previous work first, every tattooist has a different level of work quality so don't assume they will all do a good job!

What is the design process?

Generally you tell them what you want and they will all you some questions to clarify. Then you come back a few days later to see the design.

Do you pay for the initial design or is it more like having a chat to a few artists and let them come up with a design and pick the one that like?

This is something that all artists seem to be different with, but most that I have found will charge you for the design unless you get the tattoo done by them. So let's say you go to shops A, B and C, you tell them all what you want and they tell you to come back Monday and see what they've got for you. On Monday you decide to get tattooed by shop B so you put down a deposit and book a date, shop B will most likely charge you for just the tattoo but shops A and C will be looking for possibly €100 each for the designs they drew up.

What is the ball park cost of this tattoo.

This also differs per artist. Most tattooists have a minimum charge which is the cost of an hour, then they will have an hourly rate per hour for the tattoo or they will just write you a price depending on size, whether it's black and grey or colour, etc. To give you an idea, my tattooist charges €80 per hour which I think would be about average.

If you are in the Mayo area (or willing to travel) then I would highly recommend Tony in 2 Gun. He's a great laugh and a great artist. :)

https://m.facebook.com/twoguntattoo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

cheers for that ... a lot I probably knew.

I'm based in the north east if anyone has any recommendations for an artist with a portfolio of typefont styles id be grateful

My friends who have tattoos are of totally different styles to what i'd be looking at so probably wouldn't be of much use with recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

whippet wrote: »
    My friends who have tattoos are of totally different styles to what i'd be looking at so probably wouldn't be of much use with recommendations

You could still talk to them about their tattoos and artists, of their tattoos have good steady outlines then their artist may be good for lettering, etc.

I just found this, you might find someone good through it:

http://www.dailyedge.ie/talented-irish-tattoo-artists-3418035-May2017/

From your tattoo description, is it a trash polka style tattoo you're looking to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

I had to google trash polka ... you learn something new everyday!

What I am looking for wouldn’t be a million miles away from that .. probably less dramatic and more conservative...

Ive just started following a heap of artists on Instagram and I reckon I’ll just keep an eye out for something that sparks off my imagination and then contact them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

whippet wrote: »
    I had to google trash polka ... you learn something new everyday!

What I am looking for wouldn’t be a million miles away from that .. probably less dramatic and more conservative...

Ive just started following a heap of artists on Instagram and I reckon I’ll just keep an eye out for something that sparks off my imagination and then contact them.

Just wondering if you got anything done or booked anything?

• Advertisement
Advertisement