Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House shakes at 3pm most days???

Options
  • 29-09-2017 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi, my wife and kids maintain that for the past two years our house in Finglas West shakes most days around 3pm.The shaking is preceded by what she describes as 'a muffled bang like an explosion' and then it shakes for a couple of seconds.It only occurs on days between Mon-Fri inclusive, never at the weekend, hence I have not experienced it myself as I'm at work.
    Its a real mystery.Could anyone suggest ANY possible explanation for this please?
    Apparently, yesterday's was so loud the dog started barking and the kids ran down from upstairs even though they are used to it.
    ??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

There is probably a quarry nearby

There is a quarry on Cappagh Road on the other side of M50 no?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

There is a quarry on Cappagh Road on the other side of M50 no?

Yes there is but it has been closed for about ten years.This shaking started about two years ago.If there was still some kind of work going on over there would should this very specific thing only happen at approx the same time every day?Wouldnt it be more continuous or at least more random?
    I have emailed the county council but still awaiting a reply.
    Surely this shaking isnt doing the house any favours, particularly long term?

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Yes there is but it has been closed for about ten years.This shaking started about two years ago.If there was still some kind of work going on over there would should this very specific thing only happen at approx the same time every day?Wouldnt it be more continuous or at least more random?
    I have emailed the county council but still awaiting a reply.
    Surely this shaking isnt doing the house any favours, particularly long term?

Citywest used to shake quite regularly at specific times due to Roadstone. Strange that there was no notice given

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Ask around with your neighbours chances are someone local knows, does sound like a quarry alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City forum.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Wait..it's been happening for 2 years and on not one occasion have you had the chance to be there at that time on a weekday?

It can't be that much of a mystery if you can't take one afternoon off work to investigate for yourself.

I live fairly near Dunsink Lane and can tell you I've never experienced this, but the next time I'm working from home I'll pay attention for the couple of house between 2 and 4 and see what I notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If you have neighbors like mine it could be their oldest coming home from school !

I always think he must be in foul humor when it happens but then I will see him playing footie with his brother and he is in great form , he just does not understand how to close a door !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I work on Cappagh Road.
    Yesterday's explosion from the active quarry ( which is located between Cappagh - Kilshane - old N2 ) was very intense. I was right beside the perimeter when it went.
    Could feel the ground shake and really spooked the birds.
    Working there a year now and this was by far the biggest explosion.
    Not sure it's a daily event but if I lived around I would be worried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Have you seen the film Mother! ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

koutoubia wrote: »
    I work on Cappagh Road.
    Yesterday's explosion from the active quarry ( which is located between Cappagh - Kilshane - old N2 ) was very intense. I was right beside the perimeter when it went.
    Could feel the ground shake and really spooked the birds.
    Working there a year now and this was by far the biggest explosion.

What time did you hear it?

Can't remember tbh! Deffo in the afternoon.

Moved to Dublin City forum.

tHB

Perhaps it's better suited to D15 forum !?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

koutoubia wrote:

Why???

If I can feel the ground shaking and vibrating a few times a week surely it cant be doing any favours to foundations?
    But then again I am no structural engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Shouldn't have bought/built near a quarry then should ya ?

jeez whats with all the hate......
    i work close to there. I live far far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Dublin 11 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I worked on the quays few years back... first floor of a rickety old office.

If a truck coming out of the port hit a particular pot hole there was a loud thump and the building 'felt it'.

Any truck or bin depots near by?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The OP lives in Finglas West which meant DCF was the more appropriate forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Citywest used to shake quite regularly at specific times due to Roadstone. Strange that there was no notice given

Still does, every Friday around 2.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP I am guessing it might be the Roadstone quarry near Coldwinters on the old N2. Check this thread out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94146137

If it is shaking your house that badly I would be getting a structural engineer out to test the foundations to check for damage. If it is damaged it would be a very expensive repair and a legal battle with the quarry. Are your neighbours finding the same thing?

Advertisement