Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONTRACT CHANGE - Price increase 2/3 way through contract - Why ?

Options
  • 29-09-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I have just received a letter entitled CONTRACT CHANGE from Eir announcing a €6 monthly increase to my present fixed price €75, 18 month contract which is 2/3 of the way through.  I phoned Eir up and 'yes' the rep informed me it is for real - the current contract has been voided by Eir.  I have a different view on this - as far as I am concerned I am in the middle of an 18 month contract which I expect Eir to honour.   

So my questions to you now and particularly your management are:- 

How can you fool people into believing they have fixed 'term and price' contracts and then increase the price when it suits you ?  

How do you think your customers will react to Eir voiding their contracts at will ?  

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Flossy15

I had the same letter two days ago. I’m 7 months in to an 18 month contract so the little line that said “if you choose not to accept this change, you may withdraw from your contract without penalty” was music to my ears. Now signed up to Sky and hope to be completely finished with Eir in a matter of days! ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

railer201 wrote: »
    I have just received a letter entitled CONTRACT CHANGE from Eir announcing a €6 monthly increase to my present fixed price €75, 18 month contract which is 2/3 of the way through.  I phoned Eir up and 'yes' the rep informed me it is for real - the current contract has been voided by Eir.   I have a different view on this - as far as I am concerned I am in the middle of an 18 month contract which I expect Eir to honour.   

How can you fool people into believing they have fixed 'term and price' contracts and then increase the price when it suits you ?  

How do you think your customers will react to Eir voiding their contracts at will ?  
    Hi ther railer201

I completely understand where you're coming from but unfortunately (here), we don't have any say regarding prices or promotions.  If you have received a letter and you have been affected by this, you just need to call that number provided and address this price increase with them as they are the dedicated team who will deal with all your queries relating this change and exactly what your options are to either accept or opt out.

-Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

eir: Kyle wrote: »
    I have just received a letter entitled CONTRACT CHANGE from Eir announcing a €6 monthly increase to my present fixed price €75, 18 month contract which is 2/3 of the way through.  I phoned Eir up and 'yes' the rep informed me it is for real - the current contract has been voided by Eir.   I have a different view on this - as far as I am concerned I am in the middle of an 18 month contract which I expect Eir to honour.   

Hi ther railer201

I completely understand where you're coming from but unfortunately (here), we don't have any say regarding prices or promotions.  If you have received a letter and you have been affected by this, you just need to call that number provided and address this price increase with them as they are the dedicated team who will deal with all your queries relating this change and exactly what your options are to either accept or opt out.

-Kyle
    Thanks for your reply and again you have confirmed the options 'accept or opt out' as outlined by your rep on the phone this morning. 

The option that is missing is Eir honouring their contract.  

Why as a customer with Eir for decades would I now consider entering another contract with Eir if that is the way Eir treats its customers ?   Perhaps you could refer these general points to management if you're not in a position to respond yourself.  

Flossy15 wrote: »
    I had the same letter two days ago. I’m 7 months in to an 18 month contract so the little line that said “if you choose not to accept this change, you may withdraw from your contract without penalty” was music to my ears. Now signed up to Sky and hope to be completely finished with Eir in a matter of days! ðŸ˜
    That's totally understandable and I'll more than likely follow a similar route in my own time, if I lose this battle with them.  All I'm asking is for them to honour their contract ?  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

You don't have "fixed 'term and price' contracts " despite what anyone may have told you.

Not to be pedantic but Eir are honoring their contract.
    Honouring a contract simply means complying with the terms and conditions documented.
    The contract you signed allows them to increase their prices mid contract.
    In fact it allows Eir to change anything in the contract.

13. In the event of changes notified by eir to these terms and conditions, the
    Customer may terminate the Agreement without charge, by serving notice in
    writing prior to the date of implementation of any such changes. The
    Customer shall be deemed to have accepted any implemented changes, by
    continuing to use the Services.

Don't treat this as a problem it's a brilliant opportunity to get out of the contract without penalty.

You can now move your service to another provider.
    Look at the special offers from other providers that use the Eir network.

I'd be happy as a little piggy to get out of a contract.

Contracts are written by suppliers to lock you in.

• Advertisement

paddy19 wrote: »
    You don't have "fixed 'term and price' contracts " despite what anyone may have told you.

Not to be pedantic but Eir are honoring their contract.
    Honouring a contract simply means complying with the terms and conditions documented.
    The contract you signed allows them to increase their prices mid contract.
    In fact it allows Eir to change anything in the contract.

13. In the event of changes notified by eir to these terms and conditions, the
    Customer may terminate the Agreement without charge, by serving notice in
    writing prior to the date of implementation of any such changes. The
    Customer shall be deemed to have accepted any implemented changes, by
    continuing to use the Services.

Don't treat this as a problem it's a brilliant opportunity to get out of the contract without penalty.

You can now move your service to another provider.
    Look at the special offers from other providers that use the Eir network.

I'd be happy as a little piggy to get out of a contract.

Contracts are written by suppliers to lock you in.
    Changing to another provider is not what's bothering me - it's more being made a fool of by Eir.  I made a note of what was stated to me during the 'signing up' and explicitly I was told the price was fixed for 18 months, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere.  Thank you for your advice which I have taken on board.  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

railer201 wrote:
    Changing to another provider is not what's bothering me - it's more being made a fool of by Eir. I made a note of what was stated to me during the 'signing up' and explicitly I was told the price was fixed for 18 months, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere. Thank you for your advice which I have taken on board.

So if eir had reduced their price you would have been happy to continue paying the price you signed up to for the reminder of the contract. I don't think so somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi ther railer201

-Kyle
    Thanks for your reply and again you have confirmed the options 'accept or opt out' as outlined by your rep on the phone this morning. 

Why as a customer with Eir for decades would I now consider entering another contract with Eir if that is the way Eir treats its customers ?   Perhaps you could refer these general points to management if you're not in a position to respond yourself.  
    Hi railer201,

We do appreciate your feedback about this price increase and I have passed it on to the relevant department, however, you won't hear back about this, it will be looked into internally. 

I'm afraid it is noted in our terms and conditions that we can increase the cost of your plan while you are in contract, however, if we ever do this, we will always give the customer the chance to accept the changes or cancel their contract without penalty.

- Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »

Hi ther railer201

-Kyle

Hi railer201,

We do appreciate your feedback about this price increase and I have passed it on to the relevant department, however, you won't hear back about this, it will be looked into internally. 

I'm afraid it is noted in our terms and conditions that we can increase the cost of your plan while you are in contract, however, if we ever do this, we will always give the customer the chance to accept the changes or cancel their contract without penalty.

- Adam
    Hi Adam,  

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but having terms and conditions which override price guarantees is unacceptable to me as a customer.  I'll leave the matter rest here now.  

Quote from Contract Change letter received in July 2016  -  'Game changing extras in your bundle - Price Guarantee - Your new standard price will not change between now and 1st January 2018.'

railer201

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Quote from Contract Change letter received in July 2016  -  'Game changing extras in your bundle - Price Guarantee - Your new standard price will not change between now and 1st January 2018.'

Oh this letter changes everything.

Contrary to what Eir are saying here you now have a straight conflict between two commitments . One in the letter and one in the contract. The courts don't kindly to this sort of malarky of making a headline statement and using the terms and conditions to weasel their way out it.

I think you could head to the small claims court and I'd say you have a good chance of winning. Unfortunately it costs €25 so it's sorta of loose, loose. It's all online and is quite slick.

Alternavly you could go to Comreg. I have no experience of how they operate.

I'd go to the court just for the big iron of it but that's just me.

I agree this is real BS. Hate to see Eir getting away with this fast and loose behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »

Hi ther railer201

-Kyle

Hi railer201,

- Adam
    Hi Adam,  

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but having terms and conditions which override price guarantees is unacceptable to me as a customer.  I'll leave the matter rest here now.  

railer201
    I completely understand your frustration with this and I am sorry that I can't give you better news about this. 

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Comreg attracts some of the most entertaining comments I've seen on Boards, mainly around a lack of teeth.  This case may be different though (seems more cut and dried than most).  But Comreg takes a long time to come to decisions, and won't consider looking at a case until it's already been escalated to the highest possible level within the company concerned.  (I'd suggest the Citizens Advice website if you want more info, as it gives overviews of state bodies in plain English!).

The Small Claims Court process is quick and easy - I guess it comes down to whether you're trying to just get your money back speedily, or to make a wider point, requiring much more time and energy.

Anyway in the heel of the hunt, I have since switched over to Vodafone and with no offence to the reps here, I am finally delighted to see the back of Eir.   Perhaps some day Eir management might cop on to themselves - learn to mean what they say and say what they mean with regard to contract prices.  A contract for a fixed  price for 18 months should be just that.  Thanks for all of the replies.

Advertisement