Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Valley (Killarney)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I did it back in August. Started in Kenmare up Molls Gap down to Killarney Gap of Dunloe Black Valley. Road surface was pretty good all the way don't remember any bad bits. It's a beautiful cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I prefer it anti-clockwise. Up Dunloe and down into the Black Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've done it up through Killarney - Dunloe - Molls - Muckross - Killarney

If I were to do it again I'd probably do it the opposite way not because the route is better but because you can stop in Kate Kearneys and grab a bit of grub and a pint on the way back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I love it. I've only done it from Gap to Valley, in summer.

Maybe outside of tourist season is different (?) but a lot of foot traffic and "jarveys", mean you really shouldn't try and break any speed records on the descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Check the wind on the day I was there last September and was was nearly blown off the bike from the Kate Kearneys side heading into the black valley...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Enjoy a great route, but be careful and take it handy - quite a bit of anti-social cycling on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I ride there about 20/30 times a year, my advice is to go up the gap, black valley, molls etc. if you are coming down the gap, there can be lots of loose surface which are fine on a climb, but not a descent also there are some real bad blind bends coming into the gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

TGD wrote: »
    Enjoy a great route, but be careful and take it handy - quite a bit of anti-social cycling on that route.

The wife says all my cycling is anti social

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Did it from killarney up the gap to molls gap into kenmare and back to killarney a few weeks ago...Sunday morning early...met one car along the black valley....a lovely cycle...go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

This is a route I created and have cycled it several times.  It's absolutely beautiful.  The roads are very quite, and the road surface is surprisingly good.  Only dodgy bit is the descent from Molls into the Blackvalley.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20831404

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

This is a route I created and have cycled it several times.  It's absolutely beautiful.  The roads are very quite, and the road surface is surprisingly good.  Only dodgy bit is the descent from Molls into the Blackvalley.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20831404

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I did the valley from W to E a few months ago i.e. started at the Sneem end, came up past the lake, and over the top down into the Black Valley. The surface is very degraded over 2-300 m at the W end of the valley (between the top and the turn off to Molls). It was fine on MTB, but I wouldn't take a road bike through that section. Gravel or CX bike would be OK. If you're planning to use a road bike, you'll probably have to confine your route to the E end i.e. Dunloe, that cafe (is it Lord Brandon's?), and the road up to Molls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Advertisement