Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge 2018

Options
  • 29-09-2017 1:44pm

Is this event going ahead, the FB page seems to have disappeared.

they had said they were opening registration Sept 1, then postponed it.
    I know there was some complaining by local councillors in Ennistynon where it was due to start, and they wanted a cap on the numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I thought I was being technologically challenged (as usual) when I couldn't find the page to check the date it was on, and on sale. This happened before when 2016 was pulled, and then it seemed to be a brand new page for 2017, which I managed to miss completely until the weekend it was on!

iirc the Ennistymon thing was all sportives, not just aimed at the SRAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Is this event going ahead, the FB page seems to have disappeared.

they had said they were opening registration Sept 1, then postponed it.
    I know there was some complaining by local councillors in Ennistynon where it was due to start, and they wanted a cap on the numbers.
    It's going ahead. Registration is open on evenbrite website. Limited to 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Any Boardsies doing this tomorrow?

Two ascents of Corkscrew Hill should be fun :pac:

Weather forecast:
    "Saturday will be a cool, bright day with sunny spells and scattered showers. Highest temperatures of 9 or 10 degrees Celsius in light locally moderate westerly winds."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Last year its been run due to objections from two councillors and an Ennistymon cyclist

• Advertisement

I have an entry for this if anyone interested,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Borderfox wrote: »
    Last year its been run due to objections from two councillors and an Ennistymon cyclist

Yeah, saw that this morning on FB.
    Why is a local cyclist objecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

They are promoting their own sportive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Glorious here so far this morning!

Going to make a call on the distance at the top of the corkscrew the first time :)

Excellent cycle, well ran and marshalled. Lovely medal after it.

• Advertisement

Ended up only doing the 80km. Talked myself out of the 125 on the decent after the corkscrew. The climb was fine but I got cold on the decent.

Fantastic weather. Enjoyable spin

Some of the surface was in real poor shape. I lost a water bottle, my mini pump and a bottle cage at different stages

The food stop looked grand. I didn’t stop for food. But the queues looked like they were moving alone. I did see on Facebook later that there wasn’t much/ anything for the second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Ended up only doing the 80km. Talked myself out of the 125 on the decent after the corkscrew. The climb was fine but I got cold on the decent.

Fantastic weather. Enjoyable spin

Some of the surface was in real poor shape. I lost a water bottle, my mini pump and a bottle cage at different stages

The food stop looked grand. I didn’t stop for food. But the queues looked like they were moving alone. I did see on Facebook later that there wasn’t much/ anything for the second time round.

Coast road is quite rough surface wise. Ballyvaughan/Lisdoon was resurfaced a couple of years ago and is better than its ever been

Coast road is quite rough surface wise. Ballyvaughan/Lisdoon was resurfaced a couple of years ago and is better than its ever been

The worst if it was probably Doolin to near Ballyvaughan

Also I think I got sun burnt today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Did the 125 on Saturday (actually 127), we stopped at Fanore at the 1st stop and queued for about 20 minutes (no hassle as sun was shining), once inside the hall there was tea/coffee and rich tea/bourbon biscuits !!, everything else was gone. Subsequently we stopped in Lisdoonvarna and bought lunch. The second time we went through Fanore the food stop had just closed. At the finish back in the Ennistymon we were presented with a medal at the finish and were told that all the hot food was gone.
    Great route, great weather and stunning scenery but the organisation of the event was poor in my opinion.

Borderfox wrote: »
    They are promoting their own sportive

Any news about a replacement event for next year

midlands1 wrote: »
    Any news about a replacement event for next year
    It's in tralee this year

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Indeed. More specifically, the route starts/finishes in Tralee and travels out around the Dingle peninsula - fingers crossed for some reasonably good weather - some great views all the way up Conor Pass. Lovely part of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

100km route is a bit funny for the "easier" route. Unless there's a strong wind (very possible in March maybe, to be fair!) it'll be almost as hard as the "harder" route as it includes the vast majority of climbing.
    Seems to be on all the big roads in the peninsula which won't be very pleasant as there's no way the likes of the N86 will be closed, even "unofficially", for 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Seems to be on all the big roads in the peninsula which won't be very pleasant as there's no way the likes of the N86 will be closed, even "unofficially", for 4 hours.

No way around that, it's not like there's a huge choice of roads from Tralee to Dingle. You'd hope that at that time of year the roads wouldn't be mad busy. But at the same time, I wouldn't fancy being on my own - best to stick with a little bunch I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Lacey Cup starts and ends in Tralee and is 75km. Fine circuit which would also make for a great shorter sportive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Lacey Cup starts and ends in Tralee and is 75km. Fine circuit which would also make for a great shorter sportive

Yep a route back from Dingle through Inch, Keel, CastleMaine before heading north per Lacey Cup route would be nicer and less busy you'd think.

Even taking the spectacular road via Cathair Conraí from Camp down to Inch Road would cut out the rotten coast sector to Tralee which would be repeated otherwise. Lovely narrow mountain roads in there, hard going both up and down and would need a lot of organisation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Can't really do a 75km faff around Tralee, charge 45 quid, and justify a grandiose title like "The Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge"!! :D - There's no other option than Slea Head and Conor Pass for ruddy cheeked Atlanticism and for miles and access Tralee makes a lot of sense for the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

So anyone on here doing this .... I signed up months ago and to be honest I've heard nobody local talking about it .....?

Yes there are 6 of us heading down to it, staying the night before there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

jamesd wrote: »
    Yes there are 6 of us heading down to it, staying the night before there too.

Thank God.....thought I was on my own ;)

But seriously I see its sold out , I was told there was about 2000 people doing it ....everyone local I talked to who does a bit of cycling didnt seem to know anything about it and ask me was I sure ....

Oh - its very real. Possibly the reason why you've not heard about it before is because it used to start & finish in Ennistymon, Co. Clare - but in recent years there seems to have been growing local objection to the perceived inconvenience caused by the increased traffic and reduced parking caused by the influx of several thousand cyclists - whether or not this is the primary reason for the relocation to Tralee this time around I don't know - but regardless, its nice to have a change of scenery and Dingle is lovely. Certainly has been very well supported over the last couple of years that I've done it - although Mr Roche wasn't in attendance last year if I remember correctly. Will be interesting to see how it goes this time around...

Looking forward to it, the last time I cycled over the Conor Pass was in 1986:(

you won't be on your own, the local Chain Gang Cycling club are involved in it.

I never cycled the Conor pass - is it tough?

• Advertisement

Hard to say without knowing how much cycling/climbing you do. I've only climbed it once myself, North to South in calm conditions. I don't recall it being super steep anywhere, but its a reasonably long climb.

Avg/Max gradient: 6.6% / 10.1%
    Distance: 5.2km

https://veloviewer.com/segment/2193228/Conor+Pass+(N-S)

The views all the way up are great though (if its clear). It's definitely more of a challenge than Corkscrew Hill that normally features in the SRAC (a bit steeper in places, but much shorter)

Advertisement