Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

AxleAddict wrote: »
    Hard to say without knowing how much cycling/climbing you do. I've only climbed it once myself, North to South in calm conditions. I don't recall it being super steep anywhere, but its a reasonably long climb.

Avg/Max gradient: 6.6% / 10.1%
    Distance: 5.2km

https://veloviewer.com/segment/2193228/Conor+Pass+(N-S)

The views all the way up are great though (if its clear). It's definitely more of a challenge than Corkscrew Hill that normally features in the SRAC (a bit steeper in places, but much shorter)

I've done the corkscrew with no bother but I have done the Sa Calobra in majorca at 9.4km 688m at 7.1% and found it very hard and had to stop 3 times up it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

https://www.kerrycycling.com/the-conor-pass/
    Not much extra info there but the wind can definitely be a real factor there.

Really well organised super event, lots of stewards and guards on duty,
    Give Ring of Beara a run for its money in terms of scenery, hopefully grow from here,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Really well organised super event, lots of stewards and guards on duty,
    Give Ring of Beara a run for its money in terms of scenery, hopefully grow from here,
    +1
    Certainly a super well run event.
    Hope the poor fooker who went over the wall and into the fencing ala Hoogerland is ok.

Loved it myself, Conor Pass was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

1 tiny criticism.. why did all the sandwiches have to contain mayo, like ham and cheese with mayo?? A simple bit of butter...

But other than that super day out helped by great weather, great marshalling..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deweybible

Agree it was an excellent event. Great route and really enjoyed the day. Marshalling and road markings were of highest standard.

One minor criticism was finish-line area seemed a bit dis-organised. Great finishing in town centre but didn't see any food option at finish and the bike-rack area in BOI car park had less than a dozen bikes as everyone just left finish area quickly I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

koutoubia wrote: »
    +1
    Certainly a super well run event.
    Hope the poor fooker who went over the wall and into the fencing ala Hoogerland is ok.

I asked a ambulance driver at end and she said hell be ok thank goodness , it looked bad when I passed .

A really enjoyable day ... I'll say connor pass wasnt as bad as i thought but you can see it's very exposed and on a windy day I'd say is a tough climb....

A very well organised event and I'll do it again next year if it's in Kerry again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭youtheman

I asked a ambulance driver at end and she said hell be ok thank goodness , it looked bad when I passed .

A really enjoyable day ... I'll say connor pass wasnt as bad as i thought but you can see it's very exposed and on a windy day I'd say is a tough climb....

A very well organised event and I'll do it again next year if it's in Kerry again .

Very well organised event. Whoever arranged the weather deserves special mention (dry with little wind), ideal for cycling this time of the year. The spread in Dingle was something else, I reckon I put on weight over the course of the day.

Ambulance passed me at least twice with sirens and blue lights flashing, hope everyone is ok.

Saw a few photographers out on the course. Are any of them posting the photos on line?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Loads of photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/SRACcycle/

You'll surely spot yourself in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

jamesd wrote: »
    I never cycled the Conor pass - is it tough?

Well?

Was it?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

They should change the name to SKAC though.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Well?

Was it?:pac:

No actually it was not bad at all, 25 minutes up it so I was happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deweybible

Disappointing to see on official Facebook page that this sportive is not taking place in 2020.

Surprised really as was previously announced that would be taking place and was an excellent well attended event in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

deweybible wrote: »
    Disappointing to see on official Facebook page that this sportive is not taking place in 2020.

Surprised really as was previously announced that would be taking place and was an excellent well attended event in 2019.

When it ran in ennistymon/lahinch a year was skipped but then it happened again the following year.

And this was the start of animosity between it and the local club. Riverside used to run their charity sportive in Autumn and when Srac didn't run that year, they switched to spring. Then Srac came back the following year and you had 2 sportives out of the same town offering similar routes within a week or 2 of each other. And it all kicked off from there

Advertisement