Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shoplifting food

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yeah I wonder if some of these security guards in the larger stores sometimes turn a blind eye when they see someone steal some 'staple' foods - I bet some do

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

yeah I wonder if some of these security guards in the larger stores sometimes turn a blind eye when they see someone steal some 'staple' foods - I bet some do

I know one fella in a large supermarket on security and he said they go after legs of lamb, steak, bacon etc..........possibly has a resale value?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I know without the help of family and friends there would have been times in the past when I didn't have money for food and if I hadn't got family and friends around yes I think I would have stolen to feed my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

123shooter wrote: »
    when actually it was mainly the great unwashed that voted for Brexit because they were fed up of being ruled by rich people in the EU.

The great unwashed voted for Brexit because they did not understand the question.

The great unwashed voted for Brexit because they did not understand the question.

also the people who were lied to (or the truth manipulated) ... (and some racists or people who wanted to stop the 'foreigners' coming into the country) voted for Brexit

• Advertisement

Completely off topic but that is just propaganda put about those against Brexit and its hard to see that there are so many people in any country who cannot understand 2 questions........

Do you want the UK to be part of the EU? Yes...... No..... X

also the people who were lied to (or the truth manipulated) ... (and some racists or people who wanted to stop the 'foreigners' coming into the country) voted for Brexit

Why is it racist to want to restrict people from another country locating in your own country?

I am sure Irish people or any people native to a country should have a say who is allowed to come to their country.........That is their birth right and does not make you a racist.

After all there are Irish people who are homeless with no money but other people are being housed in Ireland and given money.........so isnt somebody being racist (your words) against Irish people here?

Why is it racist to want to restrict people from another country locating in your own country?

I am sure Irish people or any people native to a country should have a say who is allowed to come to their country.........That is their birth right and does not make you a racist.

Thats why I put it was racist or .... - some of it was racist I am sure, some of it was not racist but voted for leave because people still felt that there needed to be a stop to how many people were coming into the country.

Some people voted brexit as well because of how much money UK were giving to the EU - but I still believed the leave was peddled very highly on peoples emotions about stopping immigrants coming into the country and having borders , and that chimed with an awful lot of people to the great unwashed right through to the hooray henries ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?
    Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
    Bart: No.
    Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
    Bart: Uh uh.
    Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?
    Bart: I guess that's okay.
    Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?
    Bart: Hell, no.

Thats why I put it was racist or .... - some of it was racist I am sure, some of it was not racist but voted for leave because people still felt that there needed to be a stop to how many people were coming into the country.

Some people voted brexit as well because of how much money UK were giving to the EU - but I still believed the leave was peddled very highly on peoples emotions about stopping immigrants coming into the country and having borders , and that chimed with an awful lot of people to the great unwashed right through to the hooray henries ...

So your point is .......people wanted to control the destiny of their own country.......but you think that is racist?

So what about the Irish homeless who are poor and are discriminated against (I believe thats called racism) and preferential treatment is given to people who are not from Ireland?

• Advertisement

I wonder if the social welfare system would be better off to give weekly food vouchers to people or organise food deliveries to vulnerable people rather than just pay them cash payments like they do because there is that risk that vulnerable people might spend the money on fags and booze or other things and not have enough for food.

This bloke in the UK on Sky news this morning was a recovering alcoholic and said that he gets the universal credit in cash every month now but was going to see if he could get the money paid directly to the rent so it wouldnt be tempting to fall off the wagon and squander it on drink instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

biko wrote: »
    I heard of elderly people shoplifting things like cheese and bread, that is so sad.

Even an older woman got caught shoplifting a cake so she would have something to put on the table when the grand-kids arrived.

It is, I worked in Tesco as a teenager and you'd see a few regular elderly shoplifters and pretend not to see it - things like bread and butter, packets of dry pasta/spaghetti and such, cheap essentials basically. The odd time you'd be called over to do the price reductions on bread rolls etc in the bakery section about 8 or 9pm and there was always the same swarm of them battling to get the bread rolls and baguettes reduced to 10c or whatever it was (and waiting around for up to an hour beforehand). Being a teenager I didn't fully cop why at first but once you did, that was a genuinely depressing experience to have to do since there was almost always more people than bread meaning some going home empty handed after waiting around so long.

Giving them priority to people you knew were needy over people otherwise just doing their shopping and not aware of the context (and so getting pissed off at you for giving the stuff to others) without context was difficult too, since they were usually very embarrassed about their situation and you could hardly say in front of everyone that if they didn't get the bread rolls they would probably have to go hunting in bins for food.

I wonder if the social welfare system would be better off to give weekly food vouchers to people or organise food deliveries to vulnerable people rather than just pay them cash payments like they do because there is that risk that vulnerable people might spend the money on fags and booze or other things and not have enough for food.

This has been raised many times in my lifetime about giving out vouchers instead of cash so the money would be better spent and delivered.

Actually been too controversial to implement as it is seen as being discriminatory and stigmatizing the less well off........(kind of racist) :D:D:D

So your point is .......people wanted to control the destiny of their own country.......but you think that is racist?

So what about the Irish homeless who are poor and are discriminated against (I believe thats called racism) and preferential treatment is given to people who are not from Ireland?

No, you are twisting my words - at the risk of repeating myself I meant some voted to leave because they were racist or some voted to leave because they wanted borders to stop any more foreigners coming in and settling in the UK.

I dont know how much plainer I can explain it without you thinking that I think its racist ...

EDIT: by the way thats only my personal view that, along with the other things like money given to EU etc.. why a lot of people chose leave over remain - maybe it wasnt at the end of the day, but thats what I think happened

How did a thread about shoplifting turn in to one about Brexit?

No, you are twisting my words - at the risk of repeating myself I meant some voted to leave because they were racist or some voted to leave because they wanted borders to stop any more foreigners coming in and settling in the UK.

I dont know how much plainer I can explain it without you thinking that I think its racist ...

I understand you but the fact is that there were borders everywhere until about 11 years ago and everything worked out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

With st.v de p, etc, there is no need to steal.
    Stealing isn't right because someone loses out along the way.

I see people targetting corner shops to rob produce but any loss to the small trader is more keenly felt, rather than to large franchises.

I take it you have never been in that position. ? V D P are great, but it can take a week to get food vouchers off them. That's not much help to your hungry kids today, so I disagree with your first sentance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most people I have heard of being caught shop lifting have generally had money to pay for luxury items or have being bad to manage money. I think classes on money management would benefit some people instead of a conviction.

Most people I have heard of being caught shop lifting have generally had money to pay for luxury items or have being bad to manage money. I think classes on money management would benefit some people instead of a conviction.

Are people prosecuted in Ireland? I cant remember seeing any/many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

In a world where so much food is just thrown out while plenty go hungry, shoplift away I say.

Yes, it's not ideal, but in terms of all crimes going I'd consider it the least serious.
    Ah yeah, sure **** the person putting all their time, effort and money into trying to run a business and just steal from them. Great attitude :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Of course people are prosecuted???

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not sure if I made a spelling mistake or used an incorrect word.

I have heard of people appearing before the local court for stealing grocery items from local supermarkets!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If somebody is in genuine need they have multiple sources they can go to for help , stealing from a local business , not even a large Chain, is never the right answer.
    The state has a duty of care to these businesses as much as to the individual and should prosecute all cases .
    They can give clemency in the sentence if it is a solitary offence born from necessity.

By the way anyone reading this thread on board if you are struggling to find money to feed yourself and your family or know of someone who is in the same predicament there is a great support network here that operates accross Ireland called 'the food cloud' you can get in touch with them here:

https://food.cloud/

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Undoubtedly some people are more light fingered than others, but nobody would rather starve than steal.
    As soon as my belly or my kids belly starts to rumble - Tesco better watch out, no qualms whatsoever!

Hypothetically of course - in reality it doesn't get that far in this country.

Tesco donates surplus food to the Food Cloud, so people won't have to steal it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd question why they were in such dire straits that they needed to steal. We have one of the most generous welfare systems, are they not getting what they're entitled to? Are they being abused in the home? Is their money being spent on drink or drugs?

I'd question why they were in such dire straits that they needed to steal. We have one of the most generous welfare systems, are they not getting what they're entitled to? Are they being abused in the home? Is their money being spent on drink or drugs?

Yep, no doubt that all goes on too

i dunno about people thinking the welfare payment system is as generous as such a lot of people think, and it always seems to be a lot of the time that people who are in work think the benefits system is always generous one. - maybe its more generous than the UK benefits system, I dunno I havent particularly looked into it.

No one should go hungry whether it be people in full time employment or on the dole/benefits .. but they do. thats why the likes of the food cloud and ST V De paul exist i suppose for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I know one fella in a large supermarket on security and he said they go after legs of lamb, steak, bacon etc..........possibly has a resale value?

The more expensive cuts of meat often have a security tag embedded in the packaging.

As there is a cost per unit involved they aren't used on the cheaper packages, so maybe that's why your security friend sees only more expensive meat being stolen.

• Advertisement

The more expensive cuts of meat often have a security tag embedded in the packaging.

As there is a cost per unit involved they aren't used on the cheaper packages, so maybe that's why your security friend sees only more expensive meat being stolen.

No he told me how they did it......info withheld.

Advertisement