Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Existing Private Dwelling question

• 29-09-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi. We have a mortgage with an Irish bank. The mortgage is 10 years old. never missed a payment. House is in neg equity but is getting closer to evens. When we bought the house we were a couple. Now there are 4 of us. The house became too small so we decided to rent it out and rent another larger house. I have yet to tell the bank we have moved.

My question is. The mortgage we have, is this still a Existing Private Dwelling Home (PDH) since it is the only mortgage we have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You were granted the mortgage on your PDH so as far as the bank is concerned nothing has changed. If you decide to trade up, sell this property and apply for a new mortgage, you will need a 20% deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Trish56 wrote: »
    You were granted the mortgage on your PDH so as far as the bank is concerned nothing has changed. If you decide to trade up, sell this property and apply for a new mortgage, you will need a 20% deposit.

Many thanks Trish56 for your reply. The reason I ask is that our current provider is offering new deals on existing mortgages but it only applies to existing customers with PDH mortgages. It seems like a good deal and would save me a couple of hundred per year but just not sure if it applies to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, it does apply to you.

See the best rates here:

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/forums/mortgages-and-buying-and-selling-homes.2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Just be careful if you decide to fix in for a few years as if you decide to sell in the future you will have to pay a penalty if you break the fixed term. You also need to take into consideration if you were applying for a new mortgage and retain the existing as a rental property how that would impact on your mortgage application. Lenders will stress test your existing rate by approx. 2% and will only take a % of your rental income.
    shnethb wrote: »
    Many thanks Trish56 for your reply. The reason I ask is that our current provider is offering new deals on existing mortgages but it only applies to existing customers with PDH mortgages. It seems like a good deal and would save me a couple of hundred per year but just not sure if it applies to me

Advertisement