Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning a plum/greengage tree?

Options
  • 29-09-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

I haven't a clue about gardening but there is a lovely smallish greengage tree in our new garden. We had some lovely fruit, tarts and jam from it (once the kids figured out that the green fruit was actually ripe rather than small unripe Victoria plums like the tree behind it).

However the branches of the tree are very tall and long. A quick google and some websites seem to say prune earlier in the year and some say up to Sept is ok depending on weather. Anyone any thoughts?

Anyone knows a good website that might tell me how to prune it would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Weyhey wrote: »
    I haven't a clue about gardening but there is a lovely smallish greengage tree in our new garden. We had some lovely fruit, tarts and jam from it (once the kids figured out that the green fruit was actually ripe rather than small unripe Victoria plums like the tree behind it).

However the branches of the tree are very tall and long. A quick google and some websites seem to say prune earlier in the year and some say up to Sept is ok depending on weather. Anyone any thoughts?

Anyone knows a good website that might tell me how to prune it would be great.

Don't have any plums or greengages myself but the RHS website on the subject seems fairly good. They say to avoid pruning in the damp winter months to avoid disease getting into your trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

I was advised to prune my plum tree in June (when carrying small fruit) and it worked out well for me.

I'll do it again next June to keep the height manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

I always saw my dad doing the pruning in march.
    You have very long branches and I would be tempted to cut some of them next spring and the rest the following year.

Advertisement