Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spikes for track

• 29-09-2017 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

I've been doing road and hill running for years but never much on the track. Lately I've found myself doing some interval sessions for my marathon training on it however. Invariably every time I've gone in the last few weeks there's been gale force winds and a hell of a lot of rain, and it's just not possible to get a good grip on the track in these conditions.

Can anybody give me some insight into what I should be looking for if I buy a pair of spikes? Also, how effective are they? Do they make a lot of difference in terms of lap times? I reckon I'm expending a lot of energy just getting a decent grip on the track. I know nothing about spikes so any info is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

zulutango wrote: »
    I've been doing road and hill running for years but never much on the track. Lately I've found myself doing some interval sessions for my marathon training on it however. Invariably every time I've gone in the last few weeks there's been gale force winds and a hell of a lot of rain, and it's just not possible to get a good grip on the track in these conditions.

Can anybody give me some insight into what I should be looking for if I buy a pair of spikes? Also, how effective are they? Do they make a lot of difference in terms of lap times? I reckon I'm expending a lot of energy just getting a decent grip on the track. I know nothing about spikes so any info is much appreciated.

Personally I wouldn't train all year in spikes on the track. They are quite unforgiving and offer little or no support.
    You're better off in a pair of lightweight road shoes, I find ones with the majority of the mid-sole exposed or small grip patterns offer the best traction.

If you do decide to go down the spikes route get a pair of long distance ones (aimed at 10,000m) which do have a minimal amount of cushioning and support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

zulutango wrote: »

I'd go with something lightweight and grippy, like Beepy said. I had, have still actually, a pair of Mizuno Ronin. Now, sadly discontinued, and they have great grip. Look for a pair with the type of sole that'll take those conditions. Wouldn't spend money on spikes meself.

Advertisement