Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you determine 'value' or whether something is 'over-priced'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Can someone explain what overpriced means? I see it mentioned a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

What part of it are you struggling with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

OwlsZat wrote: »

The value of something is what someone else is prepared to pay for it. If a product or house or whatever is 'overpriced' then no one will buy it. If someone buys it at whatever price, it cannot be 'overpriced'.

Things can be priced beyond the means of some people but that's not overpricing.

Of course, if some people pay inflated prices for goods or houses, then find they can't afford them - well tough, that's the other side of the coin. They should be stripped of those assets.

BarryD2 wrote: »

The value of something is what someone else is prepared to pay for it. If a product or house or whatever is 'overpriced' then no one will buy it.

That's called the price of something, not the value. Your second statement is also not true in a number of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If someone buys it at whatever price, it cannot be 'overpriced'.

That's not really what overpriced means.

You can say to a friend visiting Dublin and who wants to go to a restaurant in Temple Bar: "you should avoid this tourist-trap restaurant, it is overpriced".

Still it could be a very successful restaurant which is completely full every night with people paying the asking price for their meals, but there is no problem with you calling it overpriced because you don't see value for money in what they are offering.

• Advertisement

That's called the price of something, not the value. Your second statement is also not true in a number of cases.

I see what you are getting at but depends on how you measure 'value'. But since value in the context of property mostly relates to price or cost, I think it's fair enough
    Bob24 wrote: »

You can say to a friend visiting town and who wants to go to a restaurant in Temple Bar: "you should avoid this tourist-trap restaurant, it is overpriced".

Still it could be a very successful restaurant which is completely full every night with people paying the asking price for their meals, but there is no problem with you calling it overpriced because you don't see value for money in what they are offering.

How can the restaurant be 'overpriced' if it's full every night?? It's too pricey for you or your friend maybe, but sin scéal eile. If the restaurant was empty of customers and very pricey, then we could say it was 'overpriced'.

How can the restaurant be 'overpriced' if it's full every night?? It's too pricey for you or your friend maybe, but sin scéal eile. If the restaurant was empty of customers and very pricey, then we could say it was 'overpriced'.

See definition and examples here: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/overpriced

The key point is it is a subjective thing. You could think something is overpriced and someone else be OK with it.

In the case of the restaurant tourists could think it is fine because that is all they have seen and it is close to their hotel, whereas you don't see any value in it because you know another place which does better food for less money but is in a part of town which is a bit off the usually tourist routes.

Don't get me wrong, I too think that property in some places is priced beyond the means of 'ordinary' people. But it's never 'overpriced' if it sells.

We bought a house 25+ years ago and lived here ever since. I hated the whole process at the time, my opinion of estate agents etc., took a very steep nose dive. It can be 'dog eat dog' and property is the one area that seems to draw out the worst in terms of greed in our society. But there you are, it's long been like this.

See definition and examples here: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/overpriced

The key point is it is a subjective thing. You could think something is overpriced and someone else be OK with it.

In the case of the restaurant tourists could think it is fine because that is all they have seen and it is close to their hotel, whereas you don't see any value in it because you know another place which does better food for less money but is in a part of town which is a bit off the usually tourist routes.
    This is a good piece of information.
    So the term overpriced isn't measurable in any way shape or form? It's an opinion?

Barry, If you were suffering anaphylactic shock and ran to the nearest pharmacist, who demanded €10k to dispense a lifesaving epi pen. Would it be overpriced? I mean life is priceless, and you bought it, so obviously it can never be overpriced. Yourself and Martin Shkreli would get on well. :D

• Advertisement

Barry, If you were suffering anaphylactic shock and ran to the nearest pharmacist, who demanded €10k to dispense a lifesaving epi pen. Would it be overpriced? I mean life is priceless, and you bought it, so obviously it can never be overpriced. Yourself and Martin Shkreli would get on well. :D
    I wouldnt think that is reflective of property in any way for numerous reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kippy wrote: »
    So the term overpriced isn't measurable in any way shape or form? It's an opinion?

Yes- however, when you have the likes of the Bidx auctions- where less than half all lots elicited a bid at all- it implies the AMV for the properties were overpriced. I.e. they were set at a level that didn't find someone who was willing to ascribe the suggested value to the property- that the auctioneer had in as a reserve.

It happens all the time- but when you have 340 odd lots- and over half of them don't get a bid at all- then, you've done something wrong somewhere- the obvious thing- you've set an improbably high price on the property- aka it is overpriced.

Then again- you have other properties- which just soar beyond what anyone thinks is natural territory- because you had people bid each other up at auction. Its what auctioneers like to see- and are used to. Thursday's zero bids on so many lots- are waving one hell of a white flag...........

Yes- however, when you have the likes of the Bidx auctions- where less than half all lots elicited a bid at all- it implies the AMV for the properties were overpriced. I.e. they were set at a level that didn't find someone who was willing to ascribe the suggested value to the property- that the auctioneer had in as a reserve.

It happens all the time- but when you have 340 odd lots- and over half of them don't get a bid at all- then, you've done something wrong somewhere- the obvious thing- you've set an improbably high price on the property- aka it is overpriced.

Then again- you have other properties- which just soar beyond what anyone thinks is natural territory- because you had people bid each other up at auction. Its what auctioneers like to see- and are used to. Thursday's zero bids on so many lots- are waving one hell of a white flag...........
    Indeed. But could it be that there are only so many people that fit the profile of an auction buyer in the first instance? There have been so many auctions over the past number of years that there simply aren't enough people willing to use that method of purchase left? The quality of stock and possible legal issues with a lot of auction material narrows the market considerably in my limited knowledge of it.
    I wouldn't necessarily call them overpriced in the same way as a house that goes a lot over asking could be called underpriced initially.

Price is set on what people are willing to pay. Value is the buyers opinion of the price they paid relative to the items intrinsic worth. For a house it's intrinsic worth is a combination of the cost of the land, materials used, and wages paid to those that made it. Good value is when the price is closely matched to the items intrinsic worth. Alternatively, it could become overpriced. Things being overpriced largely isn't an huge issue. Unless for property, if the cost of repayments for an average mortgage on an average salary become unaffordable. For example, as interest rates increase and the average customer has to default. At the end of the day that's capitalism at work. The bank takes back the asset, and pockets the repaid loan amount. Only person burned is the borrower, who spent however long paying back a loan they couldn't afford and ends up with nothing. Absolutely no fear of that happening here though. Wages are growing, houses are cheap, and all lending is now responsible.

Guys- we're getting into a philosophical argument over what constitutes 'value' and how you determine that something is 'over-priced'.
    If you really want to muse on this topic- please start a new thread.

Hived off into its own thread. Please keep discussion of 'value' and how to decide whether something is 'over-priced' here please.

Guys- we're getting into a philosophical argument over what constitutes 'value' and how you determine that something is 'over-priced'.
    If you really want to muse on this topic- please start a new thread.

Sorry for starting that particular tangent.

I just wanted to get a grasp of what the term meant to various people as it get's bandied around a lot about property and everyone seems to have a different take on it.

No need to apologise kippy- but it does deserve its own thread.

Yes depending on how you use the word it can relate to perceived value for money so there is no objective way to say something is overpriced or not.

Having said that because it is a subjective notion doesn't mean people's views should always be discarded as "just an opinion". Opinions can be wrong be also right so when someone says some properties are overpriced they might have a point even though those properties do sell. Typical example would be houses in empty estates in supposedly commuting countries far from Dublin where no-one wanted to live, just before the crash. Yes these houses were very well at high prices due to easy credit availability and and excess optimism about ever growing property prices amongst the general public. But someone saying "these are totally overpriced, no-one wants to live there" would have been pretty right in holding that opinion at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Yields should reflect risk. The classic back of an envelope example is if a equity with good fundamentals is giving you 10% and a German bond or 'risk free' giving about 2%, houses should fall somewhere in the middle.

When it's out of kilter, either there is something wrong with house prices or rents. Usually it is the house prices, but it is the rents now.

Something is overpriced when the market seems to be going mad about things that really do not add any long term value.

• Advertisement

It is just that, an opinion. And people's opinions will vary as widely as the depth of their pockets.

I don't think I've ever bought anything overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can look at a house ,say its 200k, how much will it get per year if its
    rented out.is the rental return 5 0r 10 per cent.
    theres a low supply of houses for sale in dublin .
    SO prices are rising , say you want to buy a house in rathmines ,theres
    a lot of people who want to live there ,
    Its very hard to find a site to build on there ,
    Theres very few houses being built there
    1000,s of people want to live in dublin .
    its classic economics ,supply is low ,demand is high.
    look at the property price register .
    Is the house overpriced vs house sold in the area ,
    of similar size, 3 bedroom semi d .
    If you want to live in a middle class area ,you,ll need a large mortgage.
    Theres plenty of cheap houses in athlone or longford .

Houses were overpriced in 2004 as banks were not being regulated
    and lending was reckless .
    Banks have rules to follow now ,
    you can borrow maybe 3-4 times your income .
    They test could you pay an extra 2 per cent if loan rates were to go up.
    The lack of building in the last 10 years is causing prices to rise now.
    look on daft.ie how much are other houses in santry ,phibsboro etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OwlsZat wrote:
    That's called the price of something, not the value.

No it's the value

You've a cost side and a value side, Value is what people are prepared to pay.

Price is different again, it's often just an invitation to treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

There was a house went up for sale some time ago in a busy commuter town north of Dublin. It was in need of complete renovation. I thought it was priced accordingly to reflect the need for major work required by someone buying to turn it into a home or an investor possibly to flip. I suspect it got a lot of interest as within days the price increased by €30k which would have effectively wiped out an investor's profit or deterred a potential home owner due to the substantial works required. I imagine any previous interest in it fell off a cliff and it's still sitting there. The first price was reasonable. The second made it overpriced.

You can say to a friend visiting Dublin and who wants to go to a restaurant in Temple Bar: "you should avoid this tourist-trap restaurant, it is overpriced".

All that demonstrates is that the inherent 'worth' of an item differs to different people.

The old Roman philosopher Publilius Syrus said 'Everything is worth what its purchaser is willing to pay for it'.

I'd be inclined to agree with this train of thought- and thus its not that something is over priced- or under priced- its that its not at the price point at which the marginal prospective purchaser is willing to meet the asking price.

Supply and demand are only two of the factors at play which determine the inherent 'worth' someone is willing to ascribe to a given property- however, they are the dominant determining factors in an Irish context- as we annually issue between 2-3 times more mortgage approvals in principle- than we have mortgage draw downs- which in turn is about 50% higher than the number of new properties constructed.

Publilius Syrus knew what he was talking about- and its equally applicable in the modern world- just because I don't see the inherent worth in a plate of food in the Temple Bar- doesn't mean that someone else won't.........

All that demonstrates is that the inherent 'worth' of an item differs to different people.

And that overpriced is a subjective notion.

My point was that as opposed to what the OP said, it is linguisticly perfectly correct to use the word “overpriced” about something even though someone else is willing to pay that price (as per the exemple I gave).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Back in the boomtime, my brother bought a house for 280k approx.
    At the time I tried to talk him out of it.
    House prices spiraling, despite more homes being built than population growth warranted.
    It was plainly a bubble. **** 'im. I was the gob****e who knew nothing.... Enjoy your negative equity ****er.

Anyway.

What we have now is not so much a bubble as just an overpriced market from a lack of supply.
    This will correct downwards when building really kicks in, rather than pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The area around here the lowest price home would be for an 850 sq ft house or bungalow with limited room to extend due to the nature of the houses and small gardens, now they're still an eye-watering amount of amount of money because of the area, some have done bizarre things to try and make them work as a family home.

Nobody today would spend a fortune on an 850 sq ft house as a family home they only do so because of where it is located, so its all about location.

How is location valued.

Also, after the crash, the area recovered very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

myshirt wrote: »
    Yields should reflect risk. The classic back of an envelope example is if a equity with good fundamentals is giving you 10% and a German bond or 'risk free' giving about 2%, houses should fall somewhere in the middle.

When it's out of kilter, either there is something wrong with house prices or rents. Usually it is the house prices, but it is the rents now.

Something is overpriced when the market seems to be going mad about things that really do not add any long term value.
    If you used this calculation in Ireland before 2008 you were steam rolled by the government into a loss. They added PRSI and USC to rental income so anything less than 10% rental yield meant you went to a loss.
    That was done while rents were dropping. All that tells you as a landlords you must always maximise rental income to recoup the losses and prepare for any other random increase in taxes.

Advertisement