Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching or nursing??

Options
  • 29-09-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am 24 years of age and I need some advice. I have worked in a supermarket since I was 18 and would like to go back to college. I am thinking of nursing or primary school teaching. I am gearing more towards nursing as it seems great, my cousin is a psychiatric nurse and one week she works 4 days and the next she works 3 days! She is also a general nurse and works ageny hours as general. Like how good are these hours? she says it is stressful but i mean how stressful can it be? Teaching is 5 days making things maybe more difficult! However I love children. I don't think I would like children's nursing as looking after ill children would be very sad ! I need to know what is an easier job. I understand both have pros and cons but in larger scheme of things what is the easier one that is least stressful. I seem to be gearing towards nursing but I think this is because I think it will be easy with a lot of time off while I feel teaching will be more difficult and stressful Advice please

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You seem to be thinking in terms of time off and an easy ride. Please don't do teaching, children deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shalena

You seem to be thinking in terms of time off and an easy ride. Please don't do teaching, children deserve better.

No I definitly do not. Could u not turn around and say patients deserve better? I have 3 children all under the age of 5 and of course I want to spend as much time with them and raise them as best as I can

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When you talk of an "easier job" "Like how good are these hours?" "what is the easier one that is least stressful." "I think it will be easy with a lot of time off " you don't radiate a love for the job. The reason I said to keep out of teaching is that I am a teacher.I'm sure nurses would feel the same.

Neither as you do not seem to have any real interest in either from what you said in OP. They are both stressful but so is any job in a position of care and responsibility.

When you talk of an "easier job" "Like how good are these hours?" "what is the easier one that is least stressful." "I think it will be easy with a lot of time off " you don't radiate a love for the job. The reason I said to keep out of teaching is that I am a teacher.I'm sure nurses would feel the same.

I understand you are looking out for children, i would do the same. But I have always wanted to do teaching , from a very young age I asked for a blackboard for Christmas and held classes for my dolls in my room. It was a dream for me but I never got to achieve it because I had twins at age 19 and had another baby last year. Also from a young age I broke my arm and the nurse at the hospital was so kind and to this I always imagined myself to be like her.
    Yes I have said all them things about least stressful and easiest, but why would I lengthen a message about it being my dream? I already know I would love them both , I have come to that realisation long ago why would I make life more difficult on yee reading the message?. But trying to decide between two things i feel I would love , cannot be narrowed down any other way only by deciding which one would give me a better life for me and my children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

How's your Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nursing day, is 8am to 830pm, give or take an hour earlier start or half hour later finish. Plus nights and weekends. How long are you going to see your children on those days?

Like how stressful can it be? Very f*cking stressful.

Think you need to look a bit further into both of these choices, I completely agree with byhookorbycrook and your opening post does you no favours at all.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Nursing day, is 8am to 830pm, give or take an hour earlier start or half hour later finish. Plus nights and weekends. How long are you going to see your children on those days?

Like how stressful can it be? Very f*cking stressful.

Think you need to look a bit further into both of these choices, I completely agree with byhookorbycrook and your opening post does you no favours at all.

I understand my opening post has thrown a lot of people. But I know I would like both jobs as they have been on my mind for a long time. Both of them have been dreams. But I have come to this realisation. Why would I tell you all about them being dreams when I was a kid? I just need to make the final choice by deciding basically which one would give me and my children a better life

Old Perry wrote: »
    How's your Irish?

Irish is basic however I got a c1 in higher level for lc 6 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You will have work after nursing. It’ll be shift work. You have young kids. Will you manage family life and working night shifts?

You may or may not have work after teaching. Also, as a new entrant to teaching, your pay will be substantially less than what it would have been pre 2012. Colleges are churning out new teachers by the hundreds every year. Will you be in a position to apply for a maternity cover job in Donegal to build up experience?

Not being deliberately negative. Just presenting some realities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

shalena wrote: »
    Irish is basic however I got a c1 in higher level for lc 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure you need to pass an oral Irish exam to get into teaching as a mature student. Interviewers expect a very high level of fluency. Competition for places is fierce!

Advertisement