Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Built, can you spot the problem? (Pics)

Options
  • 29-09-2017 9:09pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys! Can u see any glaring problems with the connections here? The PC is turning on but there's no monitor signal.

Album of pics: https://imgur.com/a/4JhCj

Components:
    Case: NZXT Phantom 630 case full-size
    Mobo: Asus TUF X299 Mark 2 MoBo
    Processor: Intel Core i7 7800X s2066
    Cooler: NOCTUA NH-D15 DUAL RADIATOR
    GPU: Geforce GTX 1080
    PSU: Corsair CS650M
    SSD: WD Blue SSD 1TB 2.5 7mm SATA G
    HDD: 4TB Seagate IronW ST4000VN008
    RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 BLA

I did turn it on last night and I was able to get in the BIOS. A couple of cycles later (I was trying to get it to recognise and boot from USB) but it quickly just turned on and no signal. It's still like that now, it turns on, fans turn, LEDs and GPU lights up but the monitor says "No Signal".

I initally made a mistake with the cooler (putting it facing the ceiling). So I would've put the paste on, then cooler, then lifted the cooler to install it 90 degrees , and turned on the computer (which got to the bios before the monitor showing no signal, which is still how it is now, after cleaning off the compound and putting it back.

I also unseated and re-seated the GPU.

Spare-cables-wise, there's a cable coming from the fan "hub" of the case (above where SSDs would usually go) that isn't connected, and a cable that says USB - I believe it to be the SD card reader at the front of the case.

Anything jump out? Any suggestions would be appreciated! At my wit's end!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was going to suggest removing all the RAM and just use one stick. Just to see. But that looks pretty difficult with the cooler in the way.

Tbh you should have built the components out of the case first and tested it to see if it will boot up as it is always way easier to trouble shoot while it is out of the case.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I was going to suggest removing all the RAM and just use one stick. Just to see. But that looks pretty difficult with the cooler in the way.

Tbh you should have built the components out of the case first and tested it to see if it will boot up as it is always way easier to trouble shoot while it is out of the case.

Apologies for the massive picture size

there's a white light (top) and red light (bottom) of the MOBO

XYudytt.jpg

The manual suggests it's a VGA issue (i.e. graphics card).

Kq3SELj.jpg

I unseated it and changed it to close to the cooler, still the same. Any ideas? Could it still be the ram?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I unseated it and changed it to close to the cooler, still the same. Any ideas? Could it still be the ram?

I was just guessing about the RAM. What cable and monitor are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Does your mobo have a video output like a hdmi slot or anything? If it does you could whip out the GPU, try using that instead and see if it works. Or try a different output on the GPU.

That's why I asked him which cable is he using. Like if it was a Display port cable he should try a HDMI or vise versa.

• Advertisement

Looks like display port from the pics anyway. The mobo error light is indicating its the gpu at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I had a similar issue with my setup, my head was melted for a good few hours. Turned out in the end that one of the cables onto the MB had become loose, you wouldn't have noticed it unless you pushed it back in and clicked it.

I would make sure everything is connect power wise.

These problems are usually the most basic and it's best not to over think them.

superg wrote: »
    Looks like display port from the pics anyway. The mobo error light is indicating its the gpu at fault.

I looked at the pictures there. It looks like a VGA cable to me as it has the two screws either side. Unless you can get them on Display port cables. I have never come across one with them anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I was just guessing about the RAM. What cable and monitor are you using?
    superg wrote: »
    Does your mobo have a video output like a hdmi slot or anything? If it does you could whip out the GPU, try using that instead and see if it works. Or try a different output on the GPU.

Cable: DVI and ASUS monitor are from currently-working PC. Mobo doesn't have a video output sadly. Switched to HDMI and sadly same thing, no joy. Any ideas?

It seems definitely like a GPU issue as the white and red mobo lights are on. Is my PSU too small? It's 650W

Also the GPU molex is 8-pin in the PSU to a 2x daisy-chained 8-pin connectors. However there's just one 8-pin to slot it in in the GPU. Does the other part go anywhere or is that if you have a second GPU?

TallGlass wrote: »
    I had a similar issue with my setup, my head was melted for a good few hours. Turned out in the end that one of the cables onto the MB had become loose, you wouldn't have noticed it unless you pushed it back in and clicked it.

I would make sure everything is connect power wise.

These problems are usually the most basic and it's best not to over think them.

In your first picture, is the blue cable in all the way? It looks like its not set.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Cable: DVI and ASUS monitor are from currently-working PC. Mobo doesn't have a video output sadly. Switched to HDMI and sadly same thing, no joy. Any ideas?

It seems definitely like a GPU issue as the white and red mobo lights are on. Is my PSU too small? It's 650W

Also the GPU molex is 8-pin in the PSU to a 2x daisy-chained 8-pin connectors. However there's just one 8-pin to slot it in in the GPU. Does the other part go anywhere or is that if you have a second GPU?

No that's just for graphics cards that require two 8 pin connections.

The PSU is wattage is fine also.

Also you have another PC. Is there a graphics card in it if so try it in the new system to see if the card is at fault. Also try the card in the other system also to see if it works in that system.

No that's just for graphics cards that require two 8 pin connections.

The PSU is wattage is fine also.

Also you have another PC. Is there a graphics card in it if so try it in the new system to see if the card is at fault. Also try the card in the other system also to see if it works in that system.

Honestly, good advise, but I had the exact same issue as this. And done everything but make sure the cables where all nice and tight in there slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

i would rebuild the system.
    loose connection somewhere.
    redo the cpu aswell and inspect the cpu connection.

I looked at the pictures there. It looks like a VGA cable to me as it has the two screws either side. Unless you can get them on Display port cables. I have never come across one with them anyway.

Sorry yeah, I meant DVI

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That is the worst feeling ever.

Been there follow the advice here and hope its a broken part and not you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

extremely rare for it to be a broken part. most likely a dodgy connection in motherboards cpu, gpu, power connections, ram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Did you get it sorted in the end?

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Did you get it sorted in the end?

I guess the problem got worse!

Advertisement