Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you kayak Terryland river?

Options
  • 29-09-2017 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I remember seeing kids with a raft years ago (and I mean over 30 years ago), messing about near Dunnes. I believe the river flows out of the corrib and goes underground behind Glenanail estate, (Tuam road). Where would be a good 'put in' spot and hows the flow so I could paddle back? It looks like another great Kayaking spot in the City, we're blessed with such a great river in the corrib and if the Terryland (Sandy) river was navigable, that'd be great!

I'd have posted this on the kayaking thread only I thought local knowledge would be better.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Not really, otherwise you'd see kayaks on it.
    Next time you bridge the river, see how small the gap is underbridge, the overgrowth of flora, flow depends on Corrib rainfall levels, the depth in certain parts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I see, so the bridge (at Bóthair na dTreabh) is the problem there.. so is either side of that? Could one put in at the bridge do you think? I'm tempted to see if I can go for a stomp in the park and have a closer look. Would anyone have an idea of where one could park the car (I don't live in the city) and when that road I'm often craning my neck to see where I would park up, given a chance :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Greaney wrote: »
    I see, so the bridge (at Bóthair na dTreabh) is the problem there.. so is either side of that? Could one put in at the bridge do you think? I'm tempted to see if I can go for a stomp in the park and have a closer look. Would anyone have an idea of where one could park the car (I don't live in the city) and when that road I'm often craning my neck to see where I would park up, given a chance :rolleyes:
    You could drive to Riverside View and have a gawk down.
    Not sure I'd kayak there at all tbh.
    This is near Sandy Road - could you paddle through that?
    You can also go to the river between Liosbán and the N6 here and here . And also park at Currys and walk behind to the river in the Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Oh thank you for your detailed reply, yes, the kayaks can go in all sorts of tight spots. They're angling sit on tops so they're heavy, I need a handy 'put in' spot near where I'd park my car.

From the other poster, it looks like the Bóthair na dTreabh (dual carriage way) bridge is too low, but those ones on Sandy road etc. are nice and high. Och, if I could do a kilometre I'd be happy and if I could paddle a mile, I'd be delighted. It could be manky down by Dunnes I've heard but if it's cleaner in the mid section of the forest park, I'd be game...

Who knows, I might post here with pictures later...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

You might be interested in this tribune article

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Tangent I know...

http://connachttribune.ie/plans-floated-restoration-galways-waterways-202/
    Before human intervention, Galway was a city of seven rivers and seven
    islands.

...production of a plan for a ‘blueway’ connecting the Galway canals to the
    Ballyquirke canal network in Moycullen.

Edit: Oops, snap with poster above.