Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amanda Brunker article about Hugh Hefner

• 29-09-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

As a male living in Ireland in the year 2017 I'm really starting to get sick and tired of the constant negative bombardment of men in the Irish media.

While on the bus this afternoon I opened the Independent App and got greeted with the latest man bashing article from Amanda Brunker on Hugh Hefner.

In the article she claims that all the bunnies in the playhouse were vulnerable women manipulated by Hugh Hefner. My view on that would be that these young women were money and fame hungry and were doing whatever they had to to get rich.

She is trying to paint the picture that a 21 year old women has no mind of her own or that her brain wouldn't be capable of thinking or making decisions on it's own. Take the example of the two twins Kristina and Karissa Shannon who made a fortune off Hugh Hefner.

Of course her article has the usual pattern the man is the predator and the woman is the poor victim. I wonder will she write an article about all the sleazy dirty old women in their 50's and 60's on Tinder and POF talking to all the vulnerable 21 year old men? of course not.

As a man that grew up in Ireland I have been sexually assaulted over 20 times by women and by sexual assaulted I mean, I caught women in the act squeezing my bum in nightclubs. I can't be the only bum squeezing survivor... Where are all the ad campaigns and news articles for our rights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

otto_26 wrote: »
    As a male living in Ireland in the year 2017 I'm really starting to get sick and tired of the constant negative bombardment of men in the Irish media.

While on the bus this afternoon I opened the Independent App and got greeted with the latest man bashing article from Amanda Brunker on Hugh Hefner.

In the article she claims that all the bunnies in the playhouse were vulnerable women manipulated by Hugh Hefner. My view on that would be that these young women were money and fame hungry and were doing whatever they had to to get rich.

She is trying to paint the picture that a 21 year old women has no mind of her own or that her brain wouldn't be capable of thinking or making decisions on it's own. Take the example of the two twins Kristina and Karissa Shannon who made a fortune off Hugh Hefner.

Of course her article has the usual pattern the man is the predator and the woman is the poor victim. I wonder will she write an article about all the sleazy dirty old women in their 50's and 60's on Tinder and POF talking to all the vulnerable 21 year old men? of course not.

As a man that grew up in Ireland I have been sexually assaulted over 20 times by women and by sexual assaulted I mean, I caught women in the act squeezing my bum in nightclubs. I can't be the only bum squeezing survivor... Where are all the ad campaigns and news articles for our rights?

Jaysus stop. Women cant sexually assault a man. Just like you cant rape your wife etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Hefner saw an opportunity and by God did he take it. Genius idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭iptba

Just to show your experience isn't that unusual, this article from the UK came out yesterday:
    Almost three-quarters of young people have witnessed sexual harassment on a night out, according to a new survey.

The YouGov poll of 2,013 adults aged between 18 and 24 who drink in bars, clubs or pubs also found nearly two-thirds (63 per cent) of women and more than a quarter (26 per cent) of men said they had been on the receiving end themselves.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sexual-harassment-poll-yougov-young-people-night-out-a7972991.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

who was on rte radio one just before 7 today
    they said they were gladthat the despicable leech (i think they ment letch) and that they are glad hes dead.
    ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Amanda is just jealous that she didn't get the chance to live in the playboy mansion and gorge on Hugh's meatballs.

• Advertisement

Bruncker was a fame whore herself, Id say she have latched on to Hef like a leech, if she the looks to have caught his eye.

Maybe because she her self was so vulnerable and fell into bed with a married man ( James Nesbitt )she assumes all women are like herself.

Im female and hate this poor helpless female shyte

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Of course her article has the usual pattern the man is the predator and the woman is the poor victim.
    Like I've regularly said O, modern attention seeking, rights over responsibilities, you go girl! Facebook likes, adolescent, chick think™ "feminism' can be boiled down to this; Women are always victims and it's always men's fault. It never fails to fit this maxim. Try it for yourself, in every hot topic current "feminism" gets involved in, it fits 100%. Even when men are (rarely) acknowledged to be in the inferior position, its the fault of the "patriarchy" and still men's fault.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There are two and only two reasons anyone has ever heard of Brunker and it's therefore ironic she has an issue with Playboy or the decisions anyone makes when taking a paycheck from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Who the fudge is Amanda Brunker?? Off to Google I go...

Edit: she writes some amount of tripe.:confused:

Who the fudge is Amanda Brunker?? Off to Google I go...

Edit: she writes some amount of tripe.:confused:

You were better off image searching tbh.

NB maybe be imaginative with the terms you include along with her name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

She deserves an honourable mention on the thread about obesity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The negativity will only get worse. Anti-male sentiment is acceptable and mostly free from backlash, provided it doesn't go 'too far'.

Not to be dismissive but the only real option available to joe public regarding newspapers is to write a letter to the editor; stop purchasing or visiting their website or air you grievances via a blog or youtube. I am not expecting any Irish media outlet to take a stand for balance, regardless of their taglines or claims.

Re: heff and AB - who cares what she says? She used her knockers when it suited her (i had to google her and apart from large breasts, she has nothing imo) and the women of PB mansion did so too. I guessing that she got the newspaper gigs because of her 'celebrity' status, which was based on her looks and not because of a superior intellect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

otto_26 wrote:

I stand to be corrected but didn't she start off working as someone who earned a living showing her tits in the Sunday world back in good old cathaholic days?
    otto_26 wrote:

I think that's your imagination lad..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭TotalReality

Why?
    Ive easily had my arse or crotch grabbed 20 times by women in pubs and clubs.
    Laughed off every time obviously and slept with a few that did it but to someone that didnt want it or accept it,its sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iptba wrote: »
    Just to show your experience isn't that unusual, this article from the UK came out yesterday:
    Almost three-quarters of young people have witnessed sexual harassment on a night out, according to a new survey.

The YouGov poll of 2,013 adults aged between 18 and 24 who drink in bars, clubs or pubs also found nearly two-thirds (63 per cent) of women and more than a quarter (26 per cent) of men said they had been on the receiving end themselves.
    TBH, that 26 per cent are loyal men who have another half, and those that got felt up by the uglies, as any other time a man gets sexually assaulted, he'll try for the ride!

Why?
    Ive easily had my arse or crotch grabbed 20 times by women in pubs and clubs.
    Laughed off every time obviously and slept with a few that did it but to someone that didnt want it or accept it,its sexual assault.

No its not. Its not the same as a man doing it to a woman. Thats just a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My phone takes a few minutes to sync up to my car via bluetooth so every morning I hear a few minutes of radio, with nearly every snippet reinforcing my reasoning behind listening to podcasts or music once that sync has occurred.

Yesterday I heard Brunker mentioned on national airwaves stating that she couldn't wait to hear the stories that come out about Hugh Heffner and that he was a leech etc. I got angry for the below reasons:

1) Why the fúck is anybody asking Amanda Brunker for her thoughts

2) Who in their right mind goes ahead and jumps the gun on not-yet reported stories, saying they can't wait to hear them? Why not wait until there's actually something there before passing judgement....on the day the person you're judging has passed away. Classless.

3) I know who Amanda Brunker is. This is the really annoying part. We're here talking about a nobody for passing comments on somebody, a nobody we've given a voice to really. We should all be ashamed about that. What annoys me moreso is that she'll get more articles out of responding to her outlandish claims - what was her original goal I can only imagine.

So yeah....Hugh's gone, Amanda's a complete pain in the hole, and the world spins madly on

Amanda is known for getting her tits out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

No its not. Its not the same as a man doing it to a woman. Thats just a fact.

So a woman grabbing a man's ass is a different sort of sexual assault to a man grabbing a woman's ass?

What's the word I'm looking for?
    Oh yeah.

BOLLOX!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who could even possibly care what Amanda Brunker has to say about anything?

And I certainly wouldn't take any criticism of Hugh Hefner as an attack on all men, no more than I'd take an attack on Margaret Thatcher as an attack on all women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Soarer wrote: »
    So a woman grabbing a man's ass is a different sort of sexual assault to a man grabbing a woman's ass?

What's the word I'm looking for?
    Oh yeah.

BOLLOX!

Dont be a fairy.

Also forgetting that Playboy magazine has largely moved away from naked women in recent years, favouring articles more. And that Playboy published works by some of the greatest literary minds of modern history; John Steinbeck, Jack Kerouac, Arthur C Clarke, Margaret Atwood and Haruki Murakami. And many more.

Also can we please stop giving any attention to the likes of Amanda Brunker or anyone that posts this kind of sh1te for just clicks and likes? They very likely don't even believe what they write and are in it just for the attention and the cash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Smelly sock, cop on. NO personal jibes like that. Don't post in this thread again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I've also had women grab my ass... the same with women grabbing my crotch. Apparently, it's extremely amusing when a representative from a group of women grabs a mans privates. Hilarious. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Brunker has just turned into a middle aged droopy whingebag.

At the height of the Celtic tiger she was seen splashed across every Irish tabloid she could get herself into, diddies on show, quaffing champagne.

Now she is a mid 40 year old frump that has to resort to base articles demonizing the industry that she made a living from ie sex.

She is basically the Irish version of Jordan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I personally do not see Hugh Hefner as someone to be admired. I can understand envy alright but not admiration. That said it is a bit rich for someone like Brunker to be criticising him. Unfortunately for her her career was on the wrong side of the current media 'right on' mainstream so she needs to reinvent herself to earn money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

otto_26 wrote:

How many times have you reported this to the police?

How many men pinched your bum?
    Did you have the same reaction when a gay man fondled in public to the times that a lady did?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

I've also had women grab my ass... the same with women grabbing my crotch. Apparently, it's extremely amusing when a representative from a group of women grabs a mans privates. Hilarious. :rolleyes:

This is becoming the norm, groups of drunken women thinking they can do as they please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

So, is your problem with the article itself or just the fact that Amanda Brunker wrote it and as a woman who posed nude a few times she has no right to an opinion?

This is becoming the norm, groups of drunken women thinking they can do as they please.

In that case, it is the norm for groups of drunk men too.

Lux23 wrote: »
    In that case, it is the norm for groups of drunk men too.

Not as much. If a guy does it, the girl can report him to the bouncers and get him thrown out. If a girl does it, no bouncer will throw the girl out.

A few years ago, I was in a club in London, and a random girl put an ice cube down the front of my top. I thought that was such great fun, so I chased her down and did the same to her. Alas, she didn't think it was as much fun receiving as giving.... so, I got thrown out. I didn't grope or fondle her. I simply did the same thing she did.

Women can get away with a lot more than men. Ask any bouncer, security guard or police officer...

Wow, you sound like a real top guy.

Wow, you sound like a real top guy.

Oh lord. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not as much. If a guy does it, the girl can report him to the bouncers and get him thrown out. If a girl does it, no bouncer will throw the girl out.

A few years ago, I was in a club in London, and a random girl put an ice cube down the front of my top. I thought that was such great fun, so I chased her down and did the same to her. Alas, she didn't think it was as much fun receiving as giving.... so, I got thrown out. I didn't grope or fondle her. I simply did the same thing she did.

Women can get away with a lot more than men. Ask any bouncer, security guard or police officer...

Yes I have seen it happen where a male retaliates and does the same as the girl did yet he is the one kicked out

If you're going to do the exact same thing you can hardly claim any moral high ground. And, how can you know the woman wouldn't have been ejected if you didn't just do the same thing? How can their behaviour be policed if you retaliate rather than report it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah that's a fair point

However I have seen situations where bouncers will not kick out women even when their misbehaviour is reported to them

Hen parties tend to get away with a lot that stags parties wouldn't get away with (in Cork anyway)

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yeah that's a fair point

However I have seen situations where bouncers will not kick out women even when their misbehaviour is reported to them

Hen parties tend to get away with a lot that stags parties wouldn't get away with (in Cork anyway)

That is wrong, but it doesn't excuse men that retaliate or indulge in similar behaviour.

So, is your problem with the article itself or just the fact that Amanda Brunker wrote it and as a woman who posed nude a few times she has no right to an opinion?
    Sure she the right to her opinion but she's clearly suffering from an irony bypass when her career exists today because she got her breasts out when she was younger, just like the playboy bunnies. No doubt she sees her foray into getting them out for the lads as "empowering" or some such nonsense.

I remember watching some channel four programme or other and they had a woman pornographer and while what the male pornographers were up to was seedy and dodgy(which it was), by the virtue of her being.. well, a her, what she did was empowering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tbh some of the stories I've heard about 'Heff' in the past few days have unnerved me. Especially his interactions with MM.

I find it really weird that he reserved a crypt next to her considering that she hated his guts.

It's sad really, she has Heffner on one side and then that utter creep interred face down above her. Not even in death can she be left alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Tbh some of the stories I've heard about 'Heff' in the past few days have unnerved me. Especially his interactions with MM.

Yeah, that Marilyn Manson is a right weirdo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I find it really weird that he reserved a crypt next to her considering that she hated his guts.

It's sad really, she has Heffner on one side and then that utter creep interred face down above her. Not even in death can she be left alone.

She's dead so most likely doesn't care too much.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    She's dead so most likely doesn't care too much.

It is still sick that someone sold off the rights to be buried next to her and that someone actually paid for it.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sure she the right to her opinion but she's clearly suffering from an irony bypass when her career exists today because she got her breasts out when she was younger, just like the playboy bunnies. No doubt she sees her foray into getting them out for the lads as "empowering" or some such nonsense.

What career does a Playboy bunny have? They are essentially waitresses who serve in their underwear. I couldn't name one Playboy Bunny that lived in that house who went on to have a successful career - possibly heard about some girl who married a footballer and had a reality show but other than that I don't think these girls get much out of it other than a bed for the night. And, they are pimped out and if they refuse to play ball they can lose that bed!

Amanda may have seen getting a few quid for getting her baps out as empowering at the time, but I am sure she looks back and thinks it really didn't help her career in the long run. And to be fair that makes her the perfect person to comment on the Playboy Mansion, she probably knows what it is like in the entertainment industry - there are lots of people in positions of power using it to get sex from vulnerable young men and women who want to get ahead. Sure, look at Harvey Weinstein - he is hardly an aberration either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/harvey-weinstein-harassment-allegations.html

Amanda may have seen getting a few quid for getting her baps out as empowering at the time, but I am sure she looks back and thinks it really didn't help her career in the long run.
    Of course it helped. It's the only reason she became known enough to have the career she has.
    And to be fair that makes her the perfect person to comment on the Playboy Mansion, she probably knows what it is like in the entertainment industry
    As I said she's welcome to any opinion she may hold but observers are also welcome to point out her irony bypass.
    - there are lots of people in positions of power using it to get sex from vulnerable young men and women who want to get ahead. Sure, look at Harvey Weinstein - he is hardly an aberration either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/harvey-weinstein-harassment-allegations.html
    Clearly a sleazy bastard, as was Hefner IMHO. The other side of that coin is that if there weren't enough willing to hit the casting coach to get ahead, sleazy bastards like them would have fewer options. Yes some are of course vulnerable people, but it would be my humble that just as many are willing to suck it up(often literally) to have a chance at the massive rewards at the end of it. It's not just a one way street.

Look at Weinstein saga as it's unfolding. He threw money at women who threatened to go public. And they took it. Ashley Judd is now going #sobrave exposing her alleged* run in with him, how many years after the event? Cue the feeding frenzy on Weinstein among the Twitterati, but why not come out with it before if this was so well known? Why take his money? I am quite sure there are other "Weinsteins" doing exactly the same thing if not worse right now and people in the industry know it and talk about it and continue to let it go on. Why are they doing that is the question that should be raised. Especially in an industry that wears its very public pride at being so "liberal" and "feminist" and all that. Which is essentially bullsh1t of course. The bottom line is all that counts and whatever public allegiances serve that, well that's what will be promoted and promoted by "stars" many of whom are thicker than bottled pig poo but good at spouting a well rehearsed script. And they do it for the bottom line too.

When I see Weinstein type "exposes" I think a) sounds like he pissed off enough of the top movers and shakers or this would have never come to light and b) it's a pressure release valve for ongoing stuff we never hear about and c) it looks like the industry is "taking this very seriously".

*for legal purposes. I personally believe her story.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Of course it helped. It's the only reason she became known enough to have the career she has.

As I said she's welcome to any opinion she may hold but observers are also welcome to point out her irony bypass. Clearly a sleazy bastard, as was Hefner IMHO. The other side of that coin is that if there weren't enough willing to hit the casting coach to get ahead, sleazy bastards like them would have fewer options. Yes some are of course vulnerable people, but it would be my humble that just as many are willing to suck it up(often literally) to have a chance at the massive rewards at the end of it. It's not just a one way street.

Like what the actual f**k, are you saying that a young girl starting out in the film industry has any power against an older, powerful and extremely successful man like Harvey Weinstein*. A man that has been known to make or break people's careers. It is not a one-way street in any way if the person doing the asking can destroy your career if you say no! Girls didn't say yes for to help careers, they said it most likely out of fear for their careers. They weren't willing victims.

The same goes for Hugh Hefner and people like him who are star-makers.

Like what the actual f**k, are you saying that a young girl starting out in the film industry has any power against an older, powerful and extremely successful man like Harvey Weinstein*.
    Actually she has quite the bit of power. Even the accusation of sexual assault is an accusation that goes a long way. You want to have a good shot of ruining a high profile man's career? Accuse him of that.
    A man that has been known to make or break people's careers. It is not a one-way street in any way if the person doing the asking can destroy your career if you say no!
    Ashley Judd said no. I'm quite sure a few others did too. Even going way back Joan Collins said no to a head of a studio. Greasy bastards like those men generally don't care, because they know there'll be another fresh of the Greyhound bus from Middle of Nowheresville, Flyover state starlet who will say yes.
    Girls didn't say yes for to help careers, they said it most likely out of fear for their careers. They weren't willing victims.
    I didn't say all of them were, but the "casting couch" has a long well known history in that business and some will use that and there are creepy bastard men who know it and use it themselves.

Look at Joss Wheden. Outwardly and vocally right on, "left", "feminist" who writes such woooonderful women's roles daahling, but when his wife divorced him it came out that he was having affairs left right and centre with actresses on his shows(though it seems Buffy herself wouldn't have a bar of him and distanced herself. Another who said no). They all well knew he was hitched, as his wife was working with him on his career, yet he was a front running "starmaker" and they magically fell on his man parts. Would they have if he was some bloke in accounts? Nope. They would not. Of course he ran with the pitiful excuse of suddenly being surrounded by in his words "needy aggressive young women" and he didn't know how to handle it. Well clearly he did...

So no it's not always the case of "unwilling victimhood" going on.

Sexual assault accusations ruin careers? Bill Cosby, Bill Clinton, Donald Trump - all men that were accused of assault who came out on top so your first point really isn't based in reality.

Some women said no because they may have been big enough deals themselves or they were strongminded people. Some would have said yes out of fear. Some may have said yes because of the misguided idea that it would help their career. Either way, Weinstein is the creep here and you should really stop trying to play down his actions just because of the occasional woman who actively seeks to sleep her way to the top (mythical being probably.)

And the bloke who pretends to be a right-on feminist dude is something I am more than familiar with, I have met plenty of fake male feminists in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Etc

Brunker is another fading Irish “Celeb” trying to keep her ship afloat by coming out with garbage.

We’ll have David McWilliams expressing his outrage next and proclaiming Hefner asked him to pose in a sailors cap and PJ’s for playboys Ireland economic special (featuring t1ts)

• Advertisement
Advertisement