Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media awareness talk

Options
  • 30-09-2017 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I am child protection officer in my Gaa club and have been disgusted by some of the things I have heard of teenagers especially, but also young kids being subjected to and involved in on social media. I would love to get a good, interesting expert in to give a talk to kids aged from about 12 to 17.
    Bearing in mind that the budget for this is quite small, think rural Gaa club here, has anyone any ideas from events in your school? Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Webwise.ie or cybersafeIreland.org seem to do talks for parents or kids.
    We've had a few speakers in every year but can't remember who they were etc.
    Maybe talk to the local schools too and see what they think... although you might want to plough your own furrow if all the stuff is coming out when they meet up for gaa training etc. If they are coming from different areas/schools they might be trying to outshock each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

There's a woman who is based in the south think it's Maureen Griffin or something very like that. Think she lectures in UCC/UL not sure. She does an internet safety talk. Heard it once while subbing in a school and thought she varied it really well for the different age groups. Lockers is a SPHE resource booklet that deals with sexting - think it's available on the PDST website

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

A few years ago, I attended an excellent presentation on this topic from Barnados. I think it might be a bit pricey though. Worth checking their details /price in any case. The guy speaking was really on the ball.

Advertisement